LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Employment gaps

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2014, 2:55 AM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
Having anxiety issues myself, I know what you mean. I agree with another poster that personal reasons are none of an employer's business, so I would leave it at that. Are you on any anxiety medication? It really helps me.
I've been on Venlafaxine for almost two years now. It's done me a world of good but doesn't quite do the whole job, but I want to try again anyway.
Rainbowx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 3:27 AM   #17
Established Member

Have you tried Buspirone? It works great and minimal side effects.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 1:10 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
That is a good point, I have left a few jobs due to going back to school.

On a positive note, I got a job offer today. It's only part time, but I'm halfway through the 6 months of unemployment, so it's a big relief. It's also fairly decent paying and in my field of work. I can take more time looking for a full time job now that I have some leverage and secure another part time telecommuting job in the meantime. (I have an interview for such a position on Monday).
Happy to hear you have an interview, That's good news

A well written, and well put together resume can go a long way in getting an interview- even over someone with more experience with a less thoughtful resume.
Old 24th March 2014, 2:55 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Have you tried Buspirone? It works great and minimal side effects.
I have never heard of it, but I've been on five different other medications before this one and got some of the whack rare side effects and that was pretty scary
Rainbowx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 8:10 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartbrokenNewbie View Post
I know this is going to sound awful but honestly just lie.. say u worked for someone that was self employed (they cant check anything) then do you own reference (set up a new email address) or say u were out the country... my CV is full of holes but I just cover them up! x I know I work hard, turn up on time, work to my fullest so if I have to tell a few porkies to get the job then so be it x
Do not lie on your resume. I have fired someone for this specifically because they fudged the dates they left a company. I have heard numerous stories of people terminated because of lies on their resume, degrees they don't have, etc.

It isn't worth it nor is it needed. Don't risk it.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 2:35 AM   #21
Established Member

I think the employment gap thing is overhyped. i never been asked about an employment gap and was unemployed for 11 months.

Just put a resume together that is geared toward the position you want and express why the skills you gained from other jobs will benefit the company hired for the job
WP4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 2:37 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMaiden View Post
I always put - "will discuss during interview as applicable."

I hate the "so why did you leave your last job?" question....
Sadly, I was 'let go' from my last position, a situation I naturally considered unfair, and would have taken further, but for the fact my time there had been too brief.

I mean, how do you tell a prospective employer, about that....?

Talk about what you learned at that job and how it would make you a success in the position you are being interviewed for
Old 29th March 2014, 8:04 AM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it View Post
Do not lie on your resume. I have fired someone for this specifically because they fudged the dates they left a company. I have heard numerous stories of people terminated because of lies on their resume, degrees they don't have, etc.

Never lie about dates or who you worked for...that can all be verified.

However it gets a little grey about why your position ended, and/or gaps between jobs...most employers will not discuss why your job ended only that you worked there from x date to y date and what your title was. So your reasons for the job starting and ending - are up to you to explain.

Also the time in between jobs - well - that can't be verified and you may consider ANY explanation you wish helps you in the interview or application.

Last edited by dichotomy; 29th March 2014 at 8:06 AM..
dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 2:04 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it View Post

So let's say someone was fired from a job in march of 2014 and then finds another one in May of 2014. They are at the next job for 5 years do they even need to mention the job again they were fired from if they were only there 9 months?
Old 29th March 2014, 2:18 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP4046 View Post
So let's say someone was fired from a job in march of 2014 and then finds another one in May of 2014. They are at the next job for 5 years do they even need to mention the job again they were fired from if they were only there 9 months?
Well there is a difference between lying and omitting information. When you list employment times, these can easily be verified by calling the employer. Also there are way to finding out if you left on good or bad terms, without having to ask how you left. One of the most common ways is asking "If this person were to apply for the same position again, would you hire them back?" Give no information as to why or why not, thus no liability. If you don't list an employment, it is very unlikely an employer would find it, or even be looking for it. However, that than brings up the issue of having to explain an employment "gap" during that period.
Old 29th March 2014, 6:13 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomy View Post
Never lie about dates or who you worked for...that can all be verified.

However it gets a little grey about why your position ended, and/or gaps between jobs...most employers will not discuss why your job ended only that you worked there from x date to y date and what your title was. So your reasons for the job starting and ending - are up to you to explain.

Also the time in between jobs - well - that can't be verified and you may consider ANY explanation you wish helps you in the interview or application.
I've had some cash contract jobs that obviously wouldn't be able to be verified....I've also worked for my dad's business for many years....the prior I usually say it was an unpaid internship and as for working for my dad, I usually explain as such and provide a reference if necessary. I've gone the independent contractor route, but I wasn't 1099ed on either position, so that could pose an issue if the potential employer asks for a 1099. On a formal application, I don't list contract jobs that cannot be verified, but I list them as experience on my resume.

I've had some positions I've left on bad terms and it wasn't an issue with my previous employer doing verification. As you already mentioned, verification is usually just employment dates, whether or not eligible for rehire and job title. Though I was technically terminated without reason from my last job, I usually say I was laid off.
Old 29th March 2014, 6:19 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contact1 View Post
Well there is a difference between lying and omitting information. When you list employment times, these can easily be verified by calling the employer. Also there are way to finding out if you left on good or bad terms, without having to ask how you left. One of the most common ways is asking "If this person were to apply for the same position again, would you hire them back?" Give no information as to why or why not, thus no liability. If you don't list an employment, it is very unlikely an employer would find it, or even be looking for it. However, that than brings up the issue of having to explain an employment "gap" during that period.
This is a good point here. Usually prior employers just call HR of your previous employers to verify employment, rather than your direct manager (unless you worked for a small company, then HR would probably be your boss) and HR won't know details other than whether or not you're eligible for rehire. In my case, my last employer did verification AFTER they gave me an offer and they were only concerned with verifying places of employment, rather than whether or not I was eligible for rehire. The biggest importance to them was the green light from all references I provided.
Old 29th March 2014, 6:25 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
List it especially if the work experience is helpful, just put no to contact for a reference. A prospective employer will usually just verify that you worked there and provide no additional information other than your dates and job title.
Old 29th March 2014, 6:29 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
List it especially if the work experience is helpful, just put no to contact for a reference. A prospective employer will usually just verify that you worked there and provide no additional information other than your dates and job title.

I guess I was thinking it was no need to list because being fired from a job that wasn't your previous job should not be a issue especially if you was at the previous job for 5 years. It shouldn't even matter why you left the job before the job you were at for 5 years
Old 29th March 2014, 6:36 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
I guess I was thinking it was no need to list because being fired from a job that wasn't your previous job should not be a issue especially if you was at the previous job for 5 years. It shouldn't even matter why you left the job before the job you were at for 5 years
You're right, it definitely shouldn't matter and most likely doesn't. Basically employers just want to see that where you've worked is where you've really worked. Sometimes they will just verify the last 4 years or 4 positions, whichever was longer, which happened in my case.