Annoying interview scheduling detail

Eternal Sunshine

Last week on Thursday I get a call to attend an interview this coming Friday (I am very excited about this position). Admin assistant tells me the date and time but interview is in another country so it will be over Skype. She tells me that she will send me confirmation email and Skype details shortly.

Well, it's now Monday and no details. I am worried they changed their mind. Should I wait till say Thursday and call to ask for Skype details? Should I just do nothing? I don't want to be pushy but this is like my dream job :/

Follow it up if they take days, sometimes people are genuinely busy, it is not always like men when they see a woman they feel is worth it and move mountains to make time for them.

This company doesn't know you well enough to drop everything to schedule your interview. This is unlike the situation with guys where guys tend to know right away whether or not a girl is the one or something special.

Definitely call them within 2 - 3 days, make it 4 if you are too concerned about appearing pushy.

If they told you they would interview you they would look pretty silly for going back on their plans. Do companies often to that? The bigger, more reputable ones?

Good luck! I hope you get the job (and that some awesome guys work there whom are worthy of getting you interested:D)

• Like 1

I usually wait until about 48 hours before the interview and chase it up then. Plenty of time for them to let me know and it doesn't look like I'm freaking out either.

• Like 1
devilish innocent

I wouldn't worry about seeming too pushy. Following up at an appropriate time makes you seem conscientious. Just be polite in the e-mail. Good luck with the interview!

Employers like it when you are pushy because it shows them you are serious and not afraid to take the initiative.

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

You have convinced me guys. If I hear nothing by the end of today - I am following it up tomorrow.

BTW it's a panel interview and I have a specific date and time so I doubt they will just cancel it. I just need their Skype info.

I had to rearrange a lot of s-t for this interview. I am supposed to be teaching a class during that time and I already asked a collegue to cover for me. I am also in a shared office so I had to ask another collegaue if he can let me use Skype in his private office. They better not cancel :mad:

Edited by Eternal Sunshine
Last week on Thursday I get a call to attend an interview this coming Friday (I am very excited about this position). Admin assistant tells me the date and time but interview is in another country so it will be over Skype. She tells me that she will send me confirmation email and Skype details shortly.

Well, it's now Monday and no details. I am worried they changed their mind. Should I wait till say Thursday and call to ask for Skype details? Should I just do nothing? I don't want to be pushy but this is like my dream job :/

Politely follow up and remind the contact person of what was said in the previous conversation. You'll probably get some indication then as to where they're at. It's always a good idea to try to define "shortly" to the extent possible, but she should have done that herself.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
Politely follow up and remind the contact person of what was said in the previous conversation. You'll probably get some indication then as to where they're at. It's always a good idea to try to define "shortly" to the extent possible, but she should have done that herself.

The problem is that I don't have an email address, just the phone number of the admin assistant that called me. Alternatively, I have an email of one of the people that will be on the panel but I think I should probably contact the admin assistant.

Grumpybutfun
The problem is that I don't have an email address, just the phone number of the admin assistant that called me. Alternatively, I have an email of one of the people that will be on the panel but I think I should probably contact the admin assistant.

Aggressiveness is magnificent for work related stuff, so contact that incompetent AA and get it set up. If she is unavailable, contact the panel contact and let them know their AA dropped the ball and you are very interested in this interview so you need the details. If you wait too long, the time space you worked so hard to reschedule for will be gone because of someone else who demanded to get an interview set up and received specific details for it.

If this is your dream job, don't be passive. Passivity is for procrastinators. :laugh:

Good luck and I hope you nail this interview,

Grumps

Edited by Grumpybutfun
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
Aggressiveness is magnificent for work related stuff, so contact that incompetent AA and get it set up. If she is unavailable, contact the panel contact and let them know their AA dropped the ball and you are very interested in this interview so you need the details. If you wait too long, the time space you worked so hard to reschedule for will be gone because of someone else who demanded to get an interview set up and received specific details for it.

If this is your dream job, don't be passive. Passivity is for procrastinators. :laugh:

Good luck and I hope you nail this interview,

Grumps

Thanks Grumps.

Your advice motivated me to call right now. The admin assistant sent the confirmation email to the wrong address. She apologized and complimented me on taking the initiative to call :)

Now I got Skype details and it's all sorted and the interview is going ahead as planned :bunny:

• Like 1

That's good to hear, good luck on the interview!

And yes, you should never fear being a bit aggressive in a job interview process, it just displays how serious you are about the job.

• Like 2
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

I don't know why but I have a really strong instinctive feeling that I will get this job.

I want to write it here to see if my instincts are as good as I think they are.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

So the interview lasted couple of hours and it was a torture and more like an interrogation. There were 5 members of the panel and they were constantly cutting in and trying to challenge me. I am not sure if they were testing how I react under stress but I barely held it together. The toughest interview I had by far.

They had technical questions (which I liked and aced) but I hated questions like "Tell me about the last time you had an argument with a collegue and how you resolved it". They also asked me to name THREE of my biggest weaknesses instead of a standard one so I really had no preparation for the other 2. I tried for something funny but was immedietly cut off with "you are not getting away that easy" :confused:

I actually have no regrets on how I did. I answered the questions the best I could under the circumstances and it's hard for me to imagine other candidates doing much better. Just depends what they are looking for. Despite their toughness, it's a great job and I am even more sure that I want to work there.

They said they will have the decision early next week and will call me either way. I am feeling far less confident now :/

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

OMFG!!!!!!!!

I just got the job :bunny::bunny::bunny:

I will be moving in 4 weeks, they are paying me the relocation allowance!

I am going to work at one of the top research institutes in the world.

My dream career is unfolding exactly like it should :cool:

• Like 10
OMFG!!!!!!!!

I just got the job :bunny::bunny::bunny:

I will be moving in 4 weeks, they are paying me the relocation allowance!

I am going to work at one of the top research institutes in the world.

My dream career is unfolding exactly like it should :cool:

Congratulations, well deserved I'm sure!