Apply for a position I'm overqualified for?

Is it considered poor form to apply for a position I'm overqualified for? How do HR people react to that? If I explain myself in the cover letter, would that be beneficial?

I think the company and its work would be a great place for me. The skill set they require is something I've been doing for about 10 years while the ad asks for 2 - 5 years experience. Prior to even determining whether they can pay me fairly, I just want some idea of how applying is viewed. Thanks!

• Like 1
Is it considered poor form to apply for a position I'm overqualified for? How do HR people react to that? If I explain myself in the cover letter, would that be beneficial?

I think the company and its work would be a great place for me. The skill set they require is something I've been doing for about 10 years while the ad asks for 2 - 5 years experience. Prior to even determining whether they can pay me fairly, I just want some idea of how applying is viewed. Thanks!

I don't think so. I've been doing the same. It depends on the company though. Some companies want someone fresh out of college and easily moldable, with less experience, while others will welcome you, although you will be underpaid. It never hurts. Sometimes you just need to bring in an income while you look for something better.

I have done this before, the only issue that they wanted to go over (and over) was the possibility of me leaving after a short time.

• Author

Thanks, ladies! I think I'm going to go ahead and apply rather than just send in my info for a future position.

I have done this before, the only issue that they wanted to go over (and over) was the possibility of me leaving after a short time.

This, the only concern an employer would have is if you will jump ship as soon as a better position opens, due to your qualifications. But it never hurts to try.

VeronicaRoss

My rule is if I want something, ask because there is no cost to it and there is always a chance they'll say yes. Let them be the ones to say no, not you to yourself.

I've applied for jobs I was overqualified for in the past, just to bring in some extra short-term money. And I was viewed with suspicion by prospective employers because of it. Some would ask me why I was interested in applying for this job since I was obviously overqualified. Some said they didn't think I would be happy with the job, given my qualifications. Although, in this economy, people are having to apply for whatever they can get, employers are still reluctant to hire someone overqualified because they think you will leave as soon as something better comes along. They would rather hire someone who is a good fit for the job and is more likely to be happy with the job long term.

• Like 1
Hope Shimmers

Don't hide the fact that you are overqualified but don't feature it either. In your cover letter and/or interview, state honestly why you want this job and why you feel it's right for you at this point in time. If you are genuine and you mean it, it's likely to be received that way.

I'm sure employers are inundated with unemployed, over qualified people. Unemployment is very high everywhere. There was a story about thousands of people lining up to apply for 40 positions at a supermarket which opened in the UK.

Here's their bottom line: if they think you're overqualified, then they're worried that you're gonna split the moment you find something better. That's how they view it. There's a reason that 40-somethings are having a hard time getting work right now, and why 50-somethings are damn near unemployable unless they're consulting or doing freelance.

not if you need to maintain your independence and pay bills. That's what I had to do but luckily I have the opportunity to apply for other positions for after a year

• Like 1

I recently faced this for a job I just accepted recently. It was a GREAT fit, the potential employer said I was even probably overqualified, but after 3 months of unemployment, I really needed a job...the last thing I wanted was to take a low wage retail job for fear of unemployment insurance ending. I assured them I would just take an additional job to supplement my income while working there part time. They ended up giving me the higher end of the salary I had asked for due to my being overqualified. I recently turned down a better paying full time position solely because it was contract and I had only been working at my new job for a few days. It would have been terrible to leave them high and dry that soon, especially since they're really working with me. I do of course still need full time employment with benefits, but I only want to leave if it is for a permanent position. I definitely don't want to jump from job to job, especially since contract work can be unstable and the contract position that was offered didn't have any possibility of becoming permanent or becoming a direct hire. (I'd have been working for the staffing agency for the duration of the contract).