A question about notifying references

I have two former supervisors at my current job who like me and am almost positive would say good things about me. I want to use them as references, but as they are part of management, I don't want to tip anyone off that I'm trying leave.

What is the protocol? Is it OK to use them as references and not tell them?

Do these former supervisors of yours still work at your current place of employment? I used a supervisor from my previous job as a reference, because I wasn't comfortable using the company manager, since I did not want him to know I was looking for other employment at the time. However, I was absolutely sure that supervisor would not tell the main manager I was looking for work since we all were looking for other work. However, since it was a small office and the manager overhears all conversations, I provided her personal number. I guess the question is do you mind if your current supervisor finds out you are looking for other work? I would definitely talk to your former supervisors about the reference and let them know to expect the call. If you prefer your current supervisor not to know, I would ask for a cell phone number from them to use if it is okay with them.

Yeah I don't know how that will work. As soon as they are contacted as your reference they will know you are leaving. And as they are with your current employer you stand a good chance of them just referring the person to HR.

I would find someone else to be your reference.

• Like 2

Unless everyone knows you are looking never use people you currently work with as references.

Also it's a horrible idea to use a current employer as a reference & not tell that person. It's a common courtesy to tell anybody you are using that they should expect a call so that person will have answers ready. You don't want your references saying "who?" or something bad.

• Like 1

I agree with the above answers here. I always put no to contacting current employers. At my previous position, I worked in a small office and we all hated my boss and wanted to get out of the company. I was comfortable using one of my coworkers as a supervisor reference as I knew she would not relay the information to our boss. The prospective employer called her at home and it wasn't a big deal. (I did get the job) There was no way I'd use my work phone number as I was also the receptionist and my boss would overhear the conversation. But with larger companies, you never know if those previous supervisors may slip unless you know them very well.

Edited by pink_sugar

Most business's will use the HR department for any current or former employee referrals. My boss's rarely take direct calls on matters such as these. They will immediately refer them to the HR for proper recommendation or summations.

Most times they don't call the referrals anyways. Try to gather Letters of Recommendations prior to interviews or submission of employment.

I have two former supervisors at my current job who like me and am almost positive would say good things about me. I want to use them as references, but as they are part of management, I don't want to tip anyone off that I'm trying leave.

What is the protocol? Is it OK to use them as references and not tell them?

I don't recommend using anyone from a current job as a reference when seeking another opportunity. You use previous supervisors not current ones

Most business's will use the HR department for any current or former employee referrals. My boss's rarely take direct calls on matters such as these. They will immediately refer them to the HR for proper recommendation or summations.

Most times they don't call the referrals anyways. Try to gather Letters of Recommendations prior to interviews or submission of employment.

I didn't businesses contacted current employers at all