TurtlePower

Lately, for the past 2 weeks, my boss has been kind of cold and moody. For example, this past Friday she didn't even say goodbye to us, she just packed up her things and went on her way. Usually, she is pretty outgoing and jokes around with us. I am just chalking it up perhaps some stress going on with the job or with her personal life. But, then again, the workload is pretty much status quo and no real increase. Me, being super insecure, feel it is something I did, but I should not think like that.

Her and I always have an open line of conversation, so I am thinking maybe I should ask...

How do you folks handle a moody boss?

HokeyReligions

Ditto what others said

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed non relevant parts

If you are concerned, or want to try and help out, then ask her. She may tell you nothing or may appreciate the acknowledgement.

I am sure my team thinks I am moody at times but there is a lot riding on us and the buck stops with me. I deal with push back or criticism from others and filter it to them. I am the one who is ultimately responsible for our budget, initiatives, etc.

• Like 1

Depends what sort of relationship we had. Some bosses I've had liked to confide a lot in me, so in that situation I would try to explore what was wrong to see if I could help. If I had a less good relationship with them I wouldn't push beyond maybe "is everything okay?" Often if you ask that, you have to be prepared for a snappy "yes, fine!" But sometimes, just because you asked at a later point they'll disclose to you whatever's troubling them.

A boss can be quite isolated really. Your reaction, in thinking that it's something you've done wrong, is natural and probably shared by a lot of colleagues. Hence if the boss is struggling with something they're not necessarily going to get the support/other people checking up to see that they're okay that other people would get. Personally I would extend an opportunity to her to talk. She's a person too, and maybe even if she doesn't want to confide anything in people at work she'll appreciate somebody taking the time to check how she is.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Ive been a boss for a long time...Here is what I can add...

Employees all think its personal....It almost NEVER is...so stop beating yourself up over it.

99.9999% of the reason for my(and I am sure most bosses) aggravation is production or cashflow issues..Best thing an employee can do is NOT patronize, bring coffee, buy lunch, anything.Its a nice gesture, but it doesnt do anything to address the source of the strife....Just help resolve the issues that are causing all of the unrest...Quietly do your best to get it back on track...

I get grumpy as hell when work is backing up and we cant get out of our own way...And I hate it like hell when employees mope around or patronize because I am pissed off about it...Lets get it done so we can all stop kicking the dog-so to speak..

Good Luck..

TFY

Ive been a boss for a long time...Here is what I can add...

Employees all think its personal....It almost NEVER is...so stop beating yourself up over it.

99.9999% of the reason for my(and I am sure most bosses) aggravation is production or cashflow issues..Best thing an employee can do is NOT patronize, bring coffee, buy lunch, anything.Its a nice gesture, but it doesnt do anything to address the source of the strife....Just help resolve the issues that are causing all of the unrest...Quietly do your best to get it back on track...

I get grumpy as hell when work is backing up and we cant get out of our own way...And I hate it like hell when employees mope around or patronize because I am pissed off about it...Lets get it done so we can all stop kicking the dog-so to speak..

Good Luck..

TFY

Hedgehog mentality. Keep your head down and execute.

Everyone is different, but like above, doing those things for me doesn't gain anything. I want the issue resolved. I don't want coffee, food, or gratuitous whatever. And I agree, it isn't personal it is business. Leave the ego and the emotions at home and come in with a game plan to get the issues resolved.

Be solution driven.

• Like 1
regine_phalange

Moody I can handle, moody and abusive at the same time, no. From what you said I suppose she isn't abusive, so I would say just let it lie. She may have other worries, personal, family, health. Just do your job.

whichwayisup
Lately, for the past 2 weeks, my boss has been kind of cold and moody. For example, this past Friday she didn't even say goodbye to us, she just packed up her things and went on her way. Usually, she is pretty outgoing and jokes around with us. I am just chalking it up perhaps some stress going on with the job or with her personal life. But, then again, the workload is pretty much status quo and no real increase. Me, being super insecure, feel it is something I did, but I should not think like that.

Her and I always have an open line of conversation, so I am thinking maybe I should ask...

Try not to take it personally. Your boss is your boss, not your friend. Sure she jokes around at times, is friendly too but the lines in the sand are there and she doesn't 'have' to say bye to you all every time she leaves her office. You haven't done anything wrong - Just remember she isn't your 'buddy' and she isn't invested emotionally on a personal level with her employee's.

• Like 1

Yeah it so easy to think it's about you when your boss is moody but as long as you do job and maintain a pleasant personality you will be fine

• 1 month later...

Do everything as routine. Smile, nod, say hello. If you really care about your boss and her demeanor is bothering you, a simple "how are you doing, everything ok," might help. I wouldn't dive into her personal situation unless your relationship with her allows you to freely discuss it. You need permission for that.

Nothing wrong with gently pulling her aside if she has a few moments and asking her what's up.

Do everything as routine. Smile, nod, say hello. If you really care about your boss and her demeanor is bothering you, a simple "how are you doing, everything ok," might help. I wouldn't dive into her personal situation unless your relationship with her allows you to freely discuss it. You need permission for that.

Nothing wrong with gently pulling her aside if she has a few moments and asking her what's up.

It is uncomfortable to see the boss in a bad mood though lol You instantly think the company is in trouble and he has to lay someone off