Laws on nonsexual harassment

why aren't there laws to protect employees for unjust cause of harassment by people who do it repeatedly to others? It seems illegal to me and those people shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!

There are, of course, laws on the books against various forms of (nonsexual) harrassment. What type of behavior are you talking about?

-- uriel

Originally posted by uriel

There are, of course, laws on the books against various forms of (nonsexual) harrassment. What type of behavior are you talking about?

-- uriel

Precisely. There are laws in place for all types of harassment. Your job does not have to have specific policies laid out for such things. If the behavior you are concerned about falls under the legal definition of harassment, then you can get the police involved.

• Author

I was told by my temp agency that another worker from there was in the office the other day and said they all had to sign a harassment memo. These people who are doing the harassment make things up about people, do everything in their power to upset these people to the point they want to quit, send emails to department manager about the person they are harassing etc. They have been put on probation for it once before but they still continue to do it. One of them called me today but I didn't answer the phone.

I used to live in Rochester, I sure miss New York!

Surely not all offices are like this. Find another place to work where people don't behave so badly.