LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Unprofessional interviewer

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2014, 8:18 AM   #16
Established Member

I do a lot of interviewing and I am always shocked at the behavior of the interviewee. But I can tell one story about a co-interviewer.

At a point in the interviewing process we do face to face panel interviews. We travel to the territory and hold the interviews in different hotel meeting spaces or vendor's offices.

I was interviewing with two male colleagues when a very attractive young lady came in to interview. She was exceedingly qualified but I am watching them in my peripheral as if they are seeing the Second Coming. At some point in the interview, yes I notice her engagement ring.

So at the end of the interview we always ask the candidate if they have any questions for us. And she asked some job related questions, etc. She leaves and we discuss. We all liked her, I played Devil's advocate that they ranked her on ability and experience not physical attributes and the highest level person in the room brings up her engagement ring and asks, "I wanted to ask her if she will have kids soon and not be able to travel"?

From that point on I advised my colleague that any question of that nature needs to always be asked to just me, in private, and I will help screen what the hell he is trying to say. Idiot.

I have had candidates completely unprepared, when asked if they are familiar with our company/brand and what are their thoughts say sure, and tell us all about how they would change it.

I have had, unfortunately, more than one male candidate who completely ignores the female interviewers in the room. I had one that was so bad, even though I was sitting across from him he would only address the men on either side, even when I asked a question. He also felt comfortable enough to curse.

I had another who felt comfortable enough to drop the F bomb as well as spill the dirt on a governmental investigation that happened with his current company. Information I wanted to learn but not becoming of an employee.

Shockingly both of those were California candidates.

Interviewing is like dating and there are a whole lot of interesting first dates!
JamesM likes this.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 8:53 AM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it View Post
Interviewing is like dating and there are a whole lot of interesting first dates!
Good quote...and so true!
Old 27th February 2014, 9:36 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Good quote...and so true!
I try and train other managers on this and remind them that the person is on their "best behavior" in the beginning. So you better love everything about that at that point because you know it will loosen up and they will relax over time. So if they are a bit . . . . persnickety right now you better believe they are going to be high maintenance once the blush wears off the bloom.

And like dating, the one that seems to care most has less power. So that goes for both sides, as a company do not act like everything hinges on one candidate, as a candidate do not seem to have all your eggs in that one basket. Play it cool, know your worth and know when to fold/walk away.
Radu likes this.
Old 27th February 2014, 8:43 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it View Post
When I was younger I had a job interview with a man who kept a rattlesnake head in a jar on his desk (or maybe it was encased in lucite as a paperweight). He was known for producing offbeat movies. He was very funny and a nice guy, though. He was flirtatious but I knew he was married.
Radu likes this.
Old 28th February 2014, 4:53 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick View Post
When I was younger I had a job interview with a man who kept a rattlesnake head in a jar on his desk (or maybe it was encased in lucite as a paperweight). He was known for producing offbeat movies. He was very funny and a nice guy, though. He was flirtatious but I knew he was married.
Reminds me of one of my previous managers in a small company. He would flirt with me from time to time. He was a foreigner, so I don't think he was aware that when you tell someone they look fresh, although he meant it differently, could be taken as sexual harassment. He would also frequently do hi-fives and hold onto my hand for long periods of time. It was a small company and I needed the money, so I dealt with it. I do think he was just trying to be genuine and he wasn't all that smart so I don't think he realizes certain gestures aren't appropriate. Lol
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 5:14 PM   #21

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
In a company I used to work for, my boss asked me to filter some CVs from job applicants. She said she would double check later....
Going through the reject pile, she picked up One CV, read it and then asked "what's wrong with this one? She seems like a possible..."
I looked at the CV, then replied , "check out her email address..."

She read it, then laughing, put the CV back on the reject pile.

The email address?
if**kforcakes@aol.co......
TaraMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 5:27 PM   #22
Established Member

LOL these stories are too hilarious!! For me, it's been more of unprofessional behavior by male superiors AFTER I get the job like catching them staring at my boobs (but I'll admit they are big) or legs (I hate having long legs) if I'm wearing heels and a skirt. Boys will be boys I guess...
nomadic_butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 1:03 AM   #23
Established Member

One interviewer told me that he was tired after a day of interviewing idiots.
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 1:05 AM   #24
Established Member

Oh, one also asked me if I had a boyfriend, since it was a personal training position and having a partner can apparently be a hindrance.

I would never ask someone about their relationship status during an interview.

Some people are retarded. I mean, how hard is it to just be professional? Why are they even in the position to BE an interviewer if they have no common sense (and only conduct relevant questions?)
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 5:55 PM   #25
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Oh, one also asked me if I had a boyfriend, since it was a personal training position and having a partner can apparently be a hindrance.

I would never ask someone about their relationship status during an interview.

Some people are retarded. I mean, how hard is it to just be professional? Why are they even in the position to BE an interviewer if they have no common sense (and only conduct relevant questions?)
In the U.S. a lot of questions, such as these are illegal to ask, though it would be very difficult to sue over. They cannot ask your marital status, whether or not you plan to have kids or etc. They cannot even ask you if you own your own car (unless the position involves driving). They can ask if you have reliable transportation, but they cannot ask or say you must own your own car (unless needed by the job) otherwise it can be considered discrimination. As long as the person is able to get to work, the means is none of their business.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 7:23 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
In the U.S. a lot of questions, such as these are illegal to ask, though it would be very difficult to sue over. They cannot ask your marital status, whether or not you plan to have kids or etc. They cannot even ask you if you own your own car (unless the position involves driving). They can ask if you have reliable transportation, but they cannot ask or say you must own your own car (unless needed by the job) otherwise it can be considered discrimination. As long as the person is able to get to work, the means is none of their business.
I think it is easy to sue over, it is difficult to receive monies for it. But one can file a complaint with the EEOC if they feel that they are being discriminated against based on these questions.
Old 2nd March 2014, 9:23 PM   #27

I had one ask me how old I was. (Big NO NO... too bad I didn't have it recorded or something because I was not offered the job, especially after she followed that up with saying they want people just fresh out of college. (This was for an inside sales job BTW)

Another involved interviewing with three people. One sat in front of me, one to my side, and the other sat behind me. It made for a rather... awkward interview to say the least. The worse part was overhearing the one sitting behind me as I was leaving tell the main decision maker that she felt like I did not give her enough attention.
PreppyPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:11 PM   #28
Established Member

Interviewer yawning in my face while I was in a middle of a sentence. It's funny now that I;m working
WP4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 3:10 PM   #29
Established Member

It always baffles me when I see too many managers and not enough actual workers. I had a team of 10 managers interview me just for a dishwasher position.
Old 19th March 2014, 3:14 PM   #30

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJP56 View Post
It always baffles me when I see too many managers and not enough actual workers. I had a team of 10 managers interview me just for a dishwasher position.
Yeah, because without you it was -
"No, it's your turn!"

"No, I did it yesterday - it's YOUR turn!"

"I did it lunchtime - I'm not doing it again!"

"Well, I've got dishpan hands now...."

"....AND the water's too hot!"

"Why do I always have to dry up?"
TaraMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote