Job "interview"... Not sure what to wear...

So I have a job interview tomorrow... And I'm not sure what to wear to it.

I work in the entertainment industry. There is no dress code and it would be completely wrong for me to show up in anything that resembled a suit.

But on the other hand, regular jeans and trainers just doesn't seem like the right option either.

I also need to not give the impression of being too feminine, because of the nature of the job, so heels are out.

Any different suggestions?

Agree with the above. I usually opt for a blouse and black slacks or (business casual). Only certain industries nowadays require a suit, such as govenment, corporate or banking jobs.

I'd say it depends what area of entertainment. I mean a music job interview would be different than an acting job interview and a pole dancer interview more different still. When I went to music job interviews, I generally wore an edgy dress or suit. Black is usually safe. But I mean, I wore red swingy pleats on top and bottom once and got the job. Not knowing more than it's entertainment field, I go along with the black thing. Black pencil skirt, maybe white or bright color peeking out underneath a matching black blazer or edgy dress jacket. Then wear one or two nice accessories, something reflective of the field. Don't over accessorize though. Don't wear a too casual shoe. If anything, dress the shoe up. Nothing clunky, maybe a basic heel that isn't over-the-top sexy and just grounds the outfit. Remember if you present sexy at interview, you're opening the door to be treated that way once you get hired. Hah.

• Author

I'm a theatre techie, so sexy is not really what you want to go for. Even girly is not really what you want to go for. It might give the wrong impression that you won't be able to do the heavy lifting required. And I mean that literally. Hence the no heels thing and I'm also thinking no to skirts (also, I don't own a single pencil or anything even remotely similar in terms of skirts. They're all envelope and quite mini)

I'm leaning towards black trousers, flat boots and a sweater of some kind. Maybe a turtleneck. Casual, but not too casual... Make up, but no earrings (don't wear anything else)

Thanks for your suggestions though! They've helped a lot!

Edited by ASG
I'm a theatre techie,

I'm leaning towards black trousers, flat boots and a sweater of some kind. Maybe a turtleneck. Casual, but not too casual... Make up, but no earrings (don't wear anything else)

This sounds perfect for this job. Small earrings & a watch would be all the jewelry you need but you don't have to wear them.

• Author
This sounds perfect for this job. Small earrings & a watch would be all the jewelry you need but you don't have to wear them.

Ended up going with black jeans, black flat boots and a bright blue turtleneck sweater.

Regular day make up (that I would use on the job anyway), no earrings.

I always wear watches and they always match my outfit (have over 100 of them). Today's watch was bright blue/green :)

The people I was meeting were in techie blacks, as expected.

I think the interview went well and should know something tomorrow... Crossing my fingers!