The Heater Guy Stole My Door :(

Hi. About two weeks ago my heater broke. I called a local place to come fix it because they fixed the unit when my air conditioner wouldn't work...it's the same unit...

I told the guy I needed an igniter. I had to have that part replaced about six years ago and I checked all the other parts of the system by turning on the air and the fan first and even listened to it when I upped the temp on my thermostat to see how it responded so I knew it was exactly that.

The guy shows up, checks everything to include taking apart my thermostat (which I knew worked because I used it to check the heater and the air) and then tells me it's the igniter and it will cost me $466 to fix plus the $99 for walking in my door.

I thought that was high so I refused the service and said I'd find one for cheaper. It was cold out but luckily I have a woodstove which is a hassle compared to turning up the temp but whatever...I'll adapt for a day...

I asked him would he be willing to come back after I pick up the part and install it for me for a hundred bucks cash and he said sure. He gave me his card and I wrote his company a check for $99 because he showed up to tell me what I already knew.

For my $99 I told him to write down the number of the part I needed. He did. It was an obsolete number because it was for an ignition board that has gone universal. I didn't know that it wasn't an igniter. So off I go down to the supply shop and pick up the board.

I asked my neighbor if he'd fix it for me for $100 because I didn't really trust the guy anymore after he failed to give me the newer part # and gave me one that was obsolete. I questioned his competence. I texted him and told him nevermind and that my neighbors going to fix it.

My neighbor checked everything out and installed the new board then tells me I have a bad igniter. Yea...that's what I said. The problem is that I didn't pick up an igniter....I picked up an ignition board because that is the part the guy told me I needed.

My neighbor told me to go back to the supply place and grab one and stop at Home Depot and grab a new thermostat too because I guess he didn't like my old dial one. So I did.

He fixed everything perfectly and when he asked me where the cover was I couldn't find it anywhere. I called the original place that sent the guy and let them know that it was probably an oversight but their guy took my door on a voicemail.

No response.

The next day I called there again and left another voicemail. No response.

Finally day three I leave a message that he has my door, I want it returned or I'm calling the police.

Nothing. So I call the police.

About five minutes later I get a phone call from the guy. He tells me a lie that he said to me "oh yea I forgot to put the cover on" or something then says he went and put it back on. No conversation ever took place.

I told him he's lying and then he keeps saying over and over that "I didn't take no door"

Bleh...

Then the owner calls me and leaves me his cell. I call it back and he says his guy doesn't have it. I told him his guy just lied to me. He said why would he take the door? It doesn't even make sense. I tell him that a lot of things don't make sense. It doesn't make sense that after receiving my check his company called me wanting updated credit card information. That doesn't make sense. He said that was an oversight. I told him it doesn't make sense that his guy wanted to charge me $466 for a part that I picked up for $33. That doesn't make sense.

Then he asks me the name of my heater and the size of my door. I give him the info and he tells me that's going to be hard to replace. I tell him that makes sense then, if it's a hard item to come by. He tells me he'll get it.

I have been waiting for a week for them to get back to me and nothing. I told my Dad and he told me that if I have the owner's cell I should call that number as soon as I wake up and ask him for my door.

So I did that today. The owner (half asleep) tells me that he has to order it and needs the serial and model number off of my heater. It's old and you can't see the numbers anymore. He says what do you want me to tell you? I say it's not my business, it's your business so figure it out.

He then says "it's Saturday 6:30 in the morning I'd appreciate if you'd call the office" and hangs up.

So should I call him tomorrow on his cell? On Sundays I wake up at 5:30....

Edited by amaysngrace
typos

I've done a lot of HVAC work and one thing one can't easily do is put the access panel on an interior furnace/air handler into one's pocket or toolbox and just walk out. It doesn't work that way. They're big and apparently you were on-site the entire time. It's hard to fathom how a tech, even if s/he wanted to, would get such a panel out the door without you observing him/her. Also, contrary to popular belief, there isn't huge black market for old furnace parts, including sheet metal. Most companies suffer through working on the old stuff until it gets too expensive so they can sell the customer a new unit. The old stuff goes to the recycler. No tech I've ever interfaced with would even consider wasting their time on such pursuits. They simply make too much money fixing things that homeowners generally have no skills at fixing.

Now, your access panel is gone. You say the tech took it. He says he didn't. Owner is unresponsive. You paid them 99.00 for a service call. They're a licensed contractor and you now have an unsafe furnace as a result of their service call. Leaning on their licensing bond is one avenue to pursue. Getting your utility involved to document the safety issue, presuming the furnace is fired from utility supply, is another, and can continue to the local jurisdiction which has control over stoppage of their work.

Since this company has repaired your HVAC before, they have the model and/or serial number of the unit in their files, as any competent company who does such work will, or at least a description identifying the unit for relevant parts, so it's really unnecessary to give it to them.

If the airhandler/furnace is in an enclosed space, search around carefully in case the tech tossed the access panel somewhere not immediately observable. I've found stuff behind units that I can't imagine how it got there. Stuff happens.

Sorry about your experience. I've pulled more access panels than I care to think about and have never had one go missing, though there have been some units I wish had gone missing! Hope it works out!

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you carhill. The guy piled a bunch of stuff on top of my washing machine so I'm not sure if it was the first thing he put there before putting his personal items up there.

When he left I was busy looking up parts and prices on my phone. I wasn't watching him closely.

I was even going to run to the store to pick up D batteries for my maglite when he was there because he was having a hard time getting his to work. I trust people.

Thank you for giving me information for how to debunk his request for the numbers off of the unit before he can replace the part.

Bottom line is he has a guy working for him who steals, lies and picks up side business from the owners company. I didn't tell the owner about the side job business because I don't really care. I want my door back.

It's the top door, the one that's ventilated. I'm not sure how much of a hazard it is but it looks ugly with the guts hanging out.

Anyway, thanks for solid advice! :)

Even if you find the door, he has still displayed a lot of neglijence.

Can you imagine how many ppl would have paid for that 400+ $ part ?

Or if the part was even 400$.

• Like 1
  • Author
Even if you find the door, he has still displayed a lot of neglijence.

Can you imagine how many ppl would have paid for that 400+ $ part ?

Or if the part was even 400$.

I complained about that to my neighbor who also happens to own a business and he said the guy was just doing his job.

My neighbor wouldn't take my money for fixing it though. So I made him a pan of meat lasagna and a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

He is the one that my friend is leaving to me in her will! :bunny:

But I think he's secretly hoping to go before she does...

Well, the guy we call here to fix the heating units does not do this and tidies after him.

He also remembers where he left parts of the client's unit ... even screws [he has to afterall].

I think what you are witnessing is professional narcissism; professionals tend not to attack other professionals in their profession ... a good example is the one of doctors or lawyers.

• Like 1
  • Author
Well, the guy we call here to fix the heating units does not do this and tidies after him.

He also remembers where he left parts of the client's unit ... even screws [he has to afterall].

I think what you are witnessing is professional narcissism; professionals tend not to attack other professionals in their profession ... a good example is the one of doctors or lawyers.

He didn't have a need to put everything back together because the job wasn't finished and the plans were for him to return to my house later that day.

Yea he was going to rip me off by charging me for a board when all I really needed was an igniter but that's because it was below freezing temperatures and it was my heater.

Still the board I got was only $150 so over 200% profit but that's just the nature of being able to provide someone with a service that they are in desperate need of. Especially when you rely on that knowledge to put food on your table.

I don't fault the guy for that.

But I'm wondering if I should call the owner tomorrow morning to ask him about the door. He told me he'd appreciate it if I called the office but when I call the office I get no reply unless I involve the police.

Still I don't want to be accused of harassment which that would be if I don't comply with his request.

I really only just want my door back. It looks bad with that part missing.

It's the top door, the one that's ventilated. I'm not sure how much of a hazard it is but it looks ugly with the guts hanging out.

You can, depending on unit, fire it up with the top/main access panel removed. It will become immediately obvious why the panel is there and why, if it is removed, it becomes a safety hazard. Some units have a safety switch that, if the panel is removed, disables the unit and the tech has to bypass it when working on/testing the unit. If yours is older (it's not that old, if it uses a PC board) it may not have such a safety feature.

I've got a circa 1962 GE furnace at one of my rentals, those ancient ones with the standing pilot and big gas burner, and have fired it up with the panel removed. That 'whoosh' when that big burner comes on will set most people back on their heels. Having a wood door eight inches from it, without a proper steel cabinet in between? Instant safety hazard, not to mention totally improper combustion air/gas ventilation pathways in an interior living space.

If the panel isn't complex and can't be found, one option is to make a template of it with cardboard and have a sheet metal guy (or even your neighbor, since he's handy) fabricate one up. I haven't done furnace panels but have fabbed electrical panel covers in the shop before. It's not that hard. Back in the day, HVAC guys would fab up whole ducting systems out of sheet metal. It was real art to watch.

While receiving satisfaction from the primary contractor would be the best possible outcome, I always say hope for the best and plan for the rest. Good luck.

• Like 1

Grace, even so, he did not act right.

I worked in IT, and i did quite a lot of PC repair at the client's place.

Computers have tiny screws, and even some small components.

If i am not careful i could also have fried the client's memory through static discharge.

This is obviously something completely different, but the principle is the same.

Small components [or just plain components] that all must be placed in the same place [i used to ask for an empty shoebox and had extra insulated plastic with me to separate everything when working on it].

You should not try to find empathy for this guy, nor should you listen to your neighbour's empathising with this guy; you are the client and you caught him at least once trying to screw you over.

Google a board that could help you with consumer protection and post there for advice.

Maybe phone an attorney [or more] and see if they provide free consultations, and ask his opinion on this.

Either way, carhil is spot on with this stuff ... hope for the best, prepare for the worst; or alternatively "si vic pacem, para bellum", if you want peace prepare for war.

The owner will continue to give you the run-around for as long as he needs to, because it's in his own interest.

I'll bet you anything that he has had calls before about this guy, or this guy's former employers have dealt with this before.

PS: I remember fixing this family's PC once, which was repaired by someone else.

He was a 'kind man', who offered to sell them compatible memory [of the type and guaranteed to work ... the last part should make an IT guy laugh a little], for only a 10x markup on the price.

That is, SH memory that was 5-6$, he sold it for 60$.

He was such a nice man, he even installed it for free [installing it shouldn't have costed more than 10$, with testing and the rest included].

Edited by Radu
  • Like 2
thefooloftheyear

Sounds like a crazy story...I agree with the other poster..I cant conceivably see how a boiler/furnace door can grow legs..Makes no sense at all..Are you sure he didnt tuck it behind something in your basement and forgot? Makes no sense at all..

If the price was too high, thats understandable that you can refuse service, but when you asked him to install a part you provide....well..thats nuts on their part...It exposes them to liability and its just a s half assed way to do business...They should have flat out refused you at that point-just as a point of principle..Plus, as a general rule, businesses cannot survive on only labor charges..How might you think a restaurant would feel if you handed them a steak you got from Shop Rite and asked them to cook it? Not trying to be argumentative, and you have every right to get the best deal you can..

Maybe the fact that this HVAC outfit would play "lets make a deal" with you speaks volumes about them as a reputable outfit...In that case, maybe they DID actually scam you out of the furnace door..

Call on Monday during business hours and just try to work it out...Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it...

TFY

• Like 1

Isn't the top door the one with the wiring schematic and the the model number also on it ?.. sometimes it is the lower door and sometimes it's the upper door that have the schematic

If it is then that is why he took your door..he might have taken it to his truck to order the part, then forgot to bring it back to you or didn't bring it back to you..

I guess that is one reason it might have made it to his truck..

I'd see if the company will make good on it and go from there...

• Like 3

I would call the guy's office tomorrow and leave another message that you want the door replaced, free of charge. If you do not hear back from him by noon on Monday, I would start calling his cell phone and I would also call your local better business bureau. My neighbor does HVAC work and believe it or not, many of them do hang onto old parts (especially copper pieces) and turn them into junk yards for cash. They also have various odd parts in their work vans (from what he says).

I would keep pursing it until the door is replaced or returned. It is on them to take care of it as they were the last ones to touch it.

• Like 3

Hey AG, this sucks. Having had a few small problems and one major problem with repair places my post will be bias.

This sounds very suspect to me. People do weird things for weird reasons that make absolutely no sense to regular people and people that typically are straight up.

Have you looked this door up online? If there are numbers anywhere on your furnace you should be able to pull up the unit and possibly replace the door.

IMO you are getting shined on, they got your 99 bucks so screw you, they know you might never call them again and there is nothing the cops can do (I've been through something similar).

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

If I cared about my reputation I would assure you beyond any shadow of a doubt that I'd be right on replacing that door because I value you as a customer and my reputation is important to me…not to mention what I think of myself!

One big clue that this place rips people off, is the amount that was quoted at the time of service. That is crazy! One time I had someone come out to fix my furnace and the most expensive part (189$) had gone bad. They only marked it up a 100$ because the repairman had to go buy the part (I know the price because I ended up fixing it myself)…AG this is CA, the home of the rip offs even. He said he would have only charged me 50$ if he would have had the part in his truck.

This is really messed up girl, and I will surely pray that I am completely wrong here and that this company will do the right thing by you.

• Like 2

A lot of TV stations have a consumer reporter that goes to the company and asks the questions for the customer.

I was self employed for 35 years and the last thing any outfit wants is having their name in a bad light.

If you paid by credit card ot debit card, call the bank and tell them to stop payment because you were ripped off. When the owner doesn't get his money, the do what ever it takes to make it right.

I had a problem like that and when I couldn't get results, I called my credit card company up and told them to stop payment and have them the reason. You should have seen how fast the problem was solved.

• Like 1
  • Author
Sounds like a crazy story...I agree with the other poster..I cant conceivably see how a boiler/furnace door can grow legs..Makes no sense at all..Are you sure he didnt tuck it behind something in your basement and forgot? Makes no sense at all..

If the price was too high, thats understandable that you can refuse service, but when you asked him to install a part you provide....well..thats nuts on their part...It exposes them to liability and its just a s half assed way to do business...They should have flat out refused you at that point-just as a point of principle..Plus, as a general rule, businesses cannot survive on only labor charges..How might you think a restaurant would feel if you handed them a steak you got from Shop Rite and asked them to cook it? Not trying to be argumentative, and you have every right to get the best deal you can..

Maybe the fact that this HVAC outfit would play "lets make a deal" with you speaks volumes about them as a reputable outfit...In that case, maybe they DID actually scam you out of the furnace door..

Call on Monday during business hours and just try to work it out...Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it...

TFY

The heater is in my laundry room. There's nowhere it can be. I've looked and looked and because it's a room in my house it isn't messy. It's just not here.

And the guy who was here was a tech...not the owner. If he was smart he'd be an owner by now. He's not. He was ok with making money on the side. Shady but so was I for asking him. Still I didn't trust him to do it which is why I asked my neighbor.

On my invoice he wrote "customer don't want board"

Bleh...

But so no, it's nowhere to be found. He made off with my door.

And the owner has no idea his guy gives out his personal business card to his customers I'm sure. But at this point I'm not sharing that with him. If he gets me a door I might though.

And the check already cleared :/

The heater is in my laundry room. There's nowhere it can be. I've looked and looked and because it's a room in my house it isn't messy. It's just not here.

And the guy who was here was a tech...not the owner. If he was smart he'd be an owner by now. He's not. He was ok with making money on the side. Shady but so was I for asking him. Still I didn't trust him to do it which is why I asked my neighbor.

On my invoice he wrote "customer don't want board"

Bleh...

But so no, it's nowhere to be found. He made off with my door.

And the owner has no idea his guy gives out his personal business card to his customers I'm sure. But at this point I'm not sharing that with him. If he gets me a door I might though.

And the check already cleared :/

If all else fails, take him to small claims court. The door just didn't get up and walk away, and I would tell the owner that the guy is giving out his own business cards.

• Like 1
He was ok with making money on the side. Shady but so was I for asking him. :/

I'm so glad you said this, I've been in the Service Business for 34 years, not HVAC but still I have had technicians work for me who ripped off parts and sold them on the side, in addition to doing work for cash. Most people would never admit their part in this dance, I admire your honesty. Good Luck

• Like 1

Part of the repair industry (which I work the office side on various matters), Is when service calls are done, a record is kept. Without filiming the technician, we are left to entrust our techs are honest and knowledged. They carry IPADS with programs to search parts#..

Our Technicians are bonded. Have they left tools behind or taken parts with them? Yup! Have we ,as a business worked to right the wrongs, absolutely! The only shady thing in the repair business is the "bending" of pricing. A part that may actually cost 3$ we tell them cost $25 plus labor. Or we condemn it as unrepairable so they will buy a brand new piece of apparatus from us, when in fact it just needs a new gear or board. People for the most part trust the repair guy since they are "certified". After being on this side of the fence, its a buyer beware stance.

I seriously do not put it past the technician in inadvertently taking the door to his car and maybe ringing up the office for the part# needed. It can happen...what is odd is the way their office is handling it. Its better in the long run to save reputation then to lose it over a door.

OP- Call a reputable HVAC place, and see if they have a parts department for panels. Our business has graveyard parts ( meaning older ones) that when a client calls in and we have it, we do our best to see they are accomodated. Sometimes they give it to you free, other times its at a small price...Can't hurt to ask.

• Like 2

Your tech is dishonest, shown by his offer to install the part on his time for a reduced price. He will probably show up driving his employers vehicle, and may be on his employers time. During the first conversation with his boss, I would have mentioned the side work offer. You do realize that if you had taken him up on the offer, there would be no warrenty. If he had been injured, you would have been on the hook for medical coverage. If there was a fire or other damage to your house, your insurance company could have denied the claim. Just a wild guess, the guy carries no insurance and no bond. The tech has already said he was willing to cheat his employer, so he would be willing to cheat you also. And we do not install material we do not supply. My policy is if an employee wants to work for himself, he can do the work without my van, my tools, and the knowledge I paid for. And he will have lots of time, as he will not be working for me.

• Like 1
  • Author

An update....

I followed the owner's request to only call the office and I did that yesterday because I hadn't heard anything in a week.

The woman who answered was very polite to me and addressed me by name without me even identifying myself.

They are sending someone to my house this Tuesday to get whatever information they need to be able to replace the door.

:)

thefooloftheyear
An update....

I followed the owner's request to only call the office and I did that yesterday because I hadn't heard anything in a week.

The woman who answered was very polite to me and addressed me by name without me even identifying myself.

They are sending someone to my house this Tuesday to get whatever information they need to be able to replace the door.

:)

Thats great news..

I applaud you for giving the business a chance to make good..Hopefully they follow through..

TFY

• Like 1