Changing jobs - difficult end

So the good news. 1)Got a great job offer, they are impressed with me, my many many years and accomplishments and references. Great company, and i am getting more money, benefits, title, etc.. 2) I did some amazing projects at my current company for many years, but I never liked the company and its approach to doing work. They treat me and my coworkers harshly and critically. Its very bad place to work (except nice coworkers)

So the bad news... the most recent project team I supervised, messed up on a project three months ago.The client for that project has a reputation for being a major Ahole - and pounding people who are not perfect.It was my senior team leader messed up, but I am the supervisor and the buck stops with me. That team leader has fessed up that he was sloppy and did a poor job, but my boss and our client only sees me as the front man and the face of the project. So I am leaving on a low note, with a few senior managers and the client having a bad view of this project and me. As I wrap up the last two weeks - nasty emails continue to reach me. When i resigned this week, my boss was neutral about it. I am bummed. I have never had a project like this in all my years, and I pride myself on being a good supervisor and getting my teams to deliver good work. I think perhaps last year, for some legit reasons - I simply lost some drive, and was not checking on my teams work in detail like I used too.

While I am trying my best in the last week or so to repair the damage as I can, it is a loosing battle, and I cant wait to get out now. I am tied of the daily harshly critical emails an dread going into work now. I did secure two outstanding references from executives in my company not involved with this project or client which helped me get the new job - but still I leave with a few parts of the company - and this client thinking negatively about me.....with some justification I suppose. I am feeling down over this. Tying to focus on the other 95% of my time at this company and all the successes and recognition I had for good work.

I am taking 10 days off between jobs to detox and refocus.

Edited by dichotomy
imtooconfused

dichotomy, I suspect (and I am quite certain about this) that the reason you lost your focus on that particular project was what was going on with management. I hope that your loss of focus wasn't caused by you checking out of the job and performing a career search. But if it legitimately was due to the fact that you had focus on responding to bad management practices and you lost track of the project itself, you should not feel so responsible.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks.

From day one, I have struggled with top management culture. In fact I refused at first to take the job there because my gut said no. But the recession hit and they were busy and it was a place that offered security and lots of work. I can only say that my resume benefited from my time there - and got me to this place to get this offer form my new company.

I think I simply burned out working thre. Last year I also had some medical and marriage issues, which added to this burn out, and they are now mostly over.

So my focus is to recharge and find my enthusiasm again. Its a great new job and role, and the people and company seem passionate. This is my focus now - to recharge and reclaim my drive. I have a little time off between.

I have about a week left at my own company and hope I can limit the damage as best possible as I head out the door.

Edited by dichotomy
Bittersweetie

dichotomy, it seems from what you have written that even though you are leaving your position, you are still working hard to right things with the project that was messed up. It would be very easy for you at this point to say "not my problem anymore" but I think it shows a lot about you and your character that you are continuing to take action and repair damage even with days left. Executives that see negatives in that are probably superficial then, and most people would say, "he did a great job right to the end. I'd work with him again."

Good luck in your new position!