Staying mum on an Business transaction

This past Friday I was informed of a business sales transaction.

Upon further detailed analysis, I questioned the validity and ethical way it was being portrayed. I presented the true documentation and was told "not to worry".

Yet I have checked and double checked the transaction and its basically a shady deal in which I am ultimately being told to "run it thru and look the other way".

My Boss's enjoy playing the shell game with certain deals.

Would there be a professional I can go to that is unbias and willing to give advisal on this deal? (Yes I know a lawyer is an obvious answer yet I dont' want to shell out 250$ )

I know my Boss's wont fire me so long as I stay mum. My goal is to keep the business on the up and up....

It would be nice to know if your position requires you to be sure, for example, that accounting is proper. If you are not where the buck stops for this matter and are sure you can't be held accountable, I guess then it's just whether you like working for unethical business people. Be aware that if a lawsuit should ensue, you would likely be called as a witness. If your company is high profile, your name could end up on the internet news. If your company isn't high profile, unlikely anyone besides those you work with would know.

It might be worth the 250 to get an opinion, though. You have to pay them the money to buy the confidentiality though!

For one week, I worked for a business owner who was taping the conversations of, at minimum, everyone in his office. How I knew it was underhanded is because the way I found out is while searching in the back of his office closet for files, I heard a conversation coming out of his private restroom. He had the mike piped in there.

I've also worked for a big corp who was federally audited for business practices. The entire week of Christmas, I was stuck day and night copying every single piece of paper in the office for it. So yes, there can be a down side. I've also worked in an entertainment field that traded favors/gifts as a standard procedure.

• Author

Thank you for the feedback. Yes as the Administrator I am required to have accuracy in the final documentation of transactions. Does my position finalize any of the financials, Not exactly. Since only the owners can sign off on the legal paperwork. Its my job though to make sure its accurate and in this instance it is not. So when I told them, they clearly knew that this particular deal was to be hush hush.

My main concern is getting an objective professional advisal outside the work place, and I would like to know what profession could I be referred to? Would this really be a legal matter or is their a profession out there that handles Questionable Business Practices...( Besides Auditors). I do not want to create a problem where I work, I just want to maintain integrity in business transactions, and this one just isn't adding up as above board.

theothersully

I would have one of them run it through. Just say you are cool with it, but don't want your name on it in case there is a problem. Have one of them run that one through.

Either that or if it is super shady and high $$$$, ask for a percentage as a bonus to run it! ha ha ha

You need an attorney for it to be confidential. You could be held somewhat liable in a lawsuit, possibly, if they say they are relying on you to do their finances correctly. I do admin work with legal stuff, and they are always blaming their crooked business decisions on their accountants, etc. Now, if you work soley for them, then perhaps you individually couldn't be sued, but if you have your own clients, then you're very vulnerable. If you are licensed, you could lose your certification either way.

Google your town and finance attorney. If it's all about taxes, look for a lawyer who is also a CPA or tax attorney. You can always tell your company your lawyer has advised against it. Too bad if they don't respect that. They could get you in a lot of trouble. But check with an attorney first.

• Author

First, I am NOT the Corporate Accountant for payroll, financial investments or anything of that nature. That is done by a third party service so as to keep them UNBIAS.

This is documents of a contractual nature. The Figures of which are being "modified" to put it politely.

A contract lawyer may be of help...

Thanks folks for your view points and experience.