In a spot of bother!

Im currently living and working abroad, have been for five years on an employer sponsored visa. My visa and contract expire in September and I have just been told that they are not planning to renew it!

This follows repeated enquiries on my part to try and get reassurance on my future. Initially I was reassured my contract would be reviewed and I could go for permanent residency (this was six months ago). Now however the story is different and Im now facing the fact my job is a dead end and I have to leave my home of 5 years back to a country I wanted to get out of.

Im crushed. Technically the company hasnt done anything wrong, but feel they have not stood by me and caused uncessary stress and anxiety by putting this off until now - if they had told me six months ago I could have found other employment and another visa, now my chances are pretty slim as sponsorships are quite difficult to come by and can take time.

So Im writing because Im not sure how I can keep my morale/work ethic up for next six months knowing that I am leaving and they wont keep me on. Overall I have reallly enjoyed working there but this has left a bitter bitter taste in my mouth. I have a girlfriend here, my closest family member my sister lives here and I dont want to go:(

Sorry your life is being upended. It's not easy to stay abroad on a visa. Employers are too fickle. Don't take it personally. Try to put that behind you so you can focus on looking for another sponsor with a good attitude. Look now while you're still employed. Don't even tell them you know they're not renewing. Just say you're looking for better opportunity and let them know you'd love to stay in the country permanently and put down roots. Write lots of emails and letters and send resumes directly to the owner if it's a small company, or to the division manager if it's a big one. Don't just send it to HR. Sometimes receiving such a letter will motivate a manager/owner to take a step forward that they didn't even know they wanted to take. Be sure and let them know what you can do for the company.

Please supply which country you are native to and which country you are currently working. This helps in which way to direct you for contact information and procedures. As you well know there are other ways to stay in a country contingent on your circumstances. A work visa is one of various ways to reside abroad.

Sorry to hear it and I can see why you are so upset. It can't be easy trying to keep morale up when your employer has effectively dumped you, if in the future. They can't fail to be aware of the implications for you.

Time to start looking for another job where they are more supportive of staff. I can appreciate that this must seem very daunting now and may not be possible, given the time left. Good luck though.

• Author

A colleague in the same position as me told a great deal of people in the org about what was happening (something I really did not want) and this has since got back to the powers that be. A meeting was held today where we were told not to discuss this with others as their decision was not final and they were reviewing it.

Im basically pissed off. This has dragged on for over a year now. I just told them, look I just want clarity over my future so I can plan it properly, im a grown man I can handle what you throw at me. So long as you just tell me and cut the wishy washy stuff

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

So they have effectively told me to apply for jobs:(

I can get sponsored here but the issue is then I cant go home for more than 2 weeks at a stretch ;( Ive lived here six years and wanted permanent residency so in the future I could go home - they promised me a career break this year so I can spend some time with my family.

I dont know whether to keep seeing my gf or not