How do you evaluate whether a city/town/state/geographic area is a good investment?

I posted a similar question in the "Marriage..." thread about evaluating whether a romantic prospect is a good investment. Here, I'm curious how you determine whether you just need to give a place time, or whether the difficulty finding compatible friends and good-fit work opportunities means you should leave.

I live in a mountain resort town. It has a lot of wonderful amenities and absolutely incredible naturescape with endless high-level mountaineering challenges for both the recreational and professional mountaineer. I've complained about the social aspects of where I live in other threads, as well as the dearth of job opportunities--namely, opportunities to advance. I did finally get a year-round, full-time job that opens up the possibility of advancing in a very lucrative industry, so I feel a bit better on that front.

But I've had a really hard time making good friends. I just haven't felt that "click" with very many folks, if anyone. I know I am well-liked in my work place, but deep down I just don't feel a fit with the people I work with, and have worked with over the years (in the same industry). Everyone is so focused on themselves here, and I often wonder if it's moreso here than other places. I am very outdoorsy, and there are other very outdoorsy people here, and I can't even connect that way because people seem to be very enmeshed in their "circles" and don't really let new people in. So, I hike, ski, and even camp alone. I feel very lonely.

So many times I have thought I should move for this reason. But then people who live elsewhere--in other mountain towns, in cities large and small--tell me it's hard anywhere, especially as you get older and especially as a single person many of whose contemporaries are either married with children, or "floaters" who have no desire to get tied down for any reason--ambition or otherwise. In the news or through the grapevine I encounter people who seem interesting, whom I'd like to get to know, but I don't have the right connections to get to them, somehow. Also, various groups I have joined have just not been a fit for me.

I love living in the mountains, but I hate being so lonely and always feeling like an outsider. So how do I decide whether to continue to stick it out and hope that as I become more and more of a "mountain woman," I will find my fit...or whether to say, to quote the title of one of my earlier threads on this subject, "I just don't fit in here," and leave?

I don't completely understand your question. You posted in the business section which is what is confusing me.

There are tons of ways to determine whether a certain area is a good business prospect. You can use census data. You can hire a commercial service. You can buy info from data mining companies. A lot of sellers break this info down by zip code.

If you are trying to determine the social desirability of an area I guess you could use some of the same data: ages & marital status. If you are 40 moving to an area filled with 20 somethings or mostly families probably won't improve your dating prospects.

• Author

Yeah, I didn't know where to put it since it's about place, which encompasses both work opportunities and relationships. My question is more how you might discern whether your [platonic and romantic] relationships and work and life balance might be improved via a move rather than trying to make improvements where you are. Especially given the economy generally and 30-something's relationship patterns generally. Would you find the same thing I'm encountering pretty much anywhere, is part of the question.

You can probably find the economic & demographic info by looking at census data.

For the social stuff maybe take an extended vacation there of at least 2 weeks at different times of the year.

• Author

To be clear, I live there now. I've been living where I am since July 2010. My question is, how do you decide whether to up and move when you have nowhere to up and move to, versus to continue sticking it out and hoping time combined with your new efforts / different efforts will result in a better social connection and more opportunities to grow, career-wise and personally?

UpwardForward

If you're planted there with a home and surroundings that you love, I'd stay.

But you could follow career opportunities nearby or elsewhere. I would think a good job would come first. Then perhaps 'social' would fall into place.

You've already given it a good couple of years there - that's more than enough time, IMO, to evaluate whether you like living somewhere. Clearly you are not happy there. Life is too short, and time's a-wastin.

If I were in your shoes (young, single and fancy-free woohoo!!) I would move. The only two considerations I would weigh when picking where to move to: job prospects and climate. I'd stick with urban areas (i.e., big cities) where there's more cultural & social events.

Google "cities with job opportunities" - there's a lot of info out there that can help you decide.

Look at it as The Next Great Adventure!! Good luck!!

• Author
The only two considerations I would weigh when picking where to move to: job prospects and climate. I'd stick with urban areas (i.e., big cities) where there's more cultural & social events.

That's the thing, though: I really love living in the mountains. I love the mountains, I mean. I've wondered whether some of my struggles since moving here have had to do with my moving from one extreme with which I was very familiar (humongous major city) to the opposite extreme with which I was only minimally familiar (small mountain town). Do I try to move to a different mountain town? Or do I give up all the adjustments I've made and great outdoor things I'm learning and excelling at to move back to a city? Would a city necessarily make me happier? After all, I left the Big City because I was just worn out by it.

I can't tell whether the problems I've had here are due to the nature of HERE--this particular mountain town--or whether I'd encounter much of this almost anywhere given who I am, my background, age etc.

The move here and adjustment here was so difficult that I feel afraid to go through that whole process yet AGAIN, only to find myself in the same or similar predicaments: not finding a job worthy of my abilities, not finding a true peer group, etc. I feel I've gotten really stuck in areas of my life and moving just on the hope that that will "unstick" me feels like too big a risk.

Not sure how to weigh these considerations....

UpwardForward

I kind of thought you loved living in the mountains, because I think I would. (I was raised in Colorado.)

Have you put out feelers for surrounding more populated areas for jobs to commute to? Or looked for other mountainous areas with big cities nearby?

Have you thought of starting a business from home?

Edited by UpwardForward

Good question. I am moving out of a high cost of living area, so my husband and i can own a home in the forseeable future. We've been struggling for almost 7 years to make ends meet even though we have bachelors degrees and experience. A lot of people will argue that there are a lot of high paying jobs here and that's why the cost of living is so high, but since it is an employer's market and there is a lot of competition, finding those jobs without a lot of experience is challenging. Although we may get paid less in a cheaper area, we would be able to afford a home much sooner and make our dollar go much further. If we stay, there is no end to renting in sight. Do what is best for you.