Will I land this job the second time through?

So I applied to this local business exactly a year ago. An old college classmate/friend of mine had been working there for 2 months at the time, and encouraged me to apply. I sent a follow up email a week after submitting my resume online, and received a call in to interview. I had an ok interview, but did not receive a second interview or anything. I got an email a few days later thanking me for coming in, and informing me that the company was going with another candidate.

I was really bummed at the time because I felt I would be able to do the job really well, and the position was really made for fresh grads or professionals with not much experience yet (which I still am). I also thought that having my friend there would help me get the job. The hiring manager asked her about me, and she vouched for me being a smart guy, and that she felt Id be able to do the job easily.

Anyways, a week ago I see the same position again online...and I thought "why not apply again? It wont hurt". Next day the CEO emails me, and we schedule an interview. I met with the CEO very briefly. He gave me a quick screening, and passed me on to the hiring manager who I met with last year. The hiring manager was very quick to explain to me how the budget is expanding, how the company is expanding, and why they only hire so few people when they do hiring. It did seem like he was trying to smooth over why I was not selected the year before.

I let them know why I wanted to leave my current position, and how I felt my current job was not the right fit for me. The hiring manager 4 or 5 times made sure I knew that Id have a more diverse workload, the ability to grow professionally, and that I wouldn't be doing the tasks which I said weren't the right fit for me at my current job (I basically cold call people to do surveys all day). It seemed like he really wanted to let me know that the company was expanding and that I wouldn't have to worry about having a mundane role with little room for growth...aka...he was trying to sell me on the position it seemed.

Anyways the interview went well, we even had a couple laughs, and he told me they would touch base at the end of the week. He also gave me his card and told me to call him to check-in with him in case I hadn't heard from him by today. He said he wanted to get me in for a second interview Friday or early next week. And I made sure to send him and the CEO thank you emails a couple hours after my interview.

So I called him today, and he told me that Id receive an email tomorrow with my date and time for my second interview next week. However, I cant shake the feeling that I may not get the job again. Granted I made it to the second interview this time...but with how much I hate my job right now, I really have not felt the most optimistic with regard to my professional life. I just really need to know how to sell myself in this second interview.

Plus tbh, the fact that I had to call him today to touch base, instead of them calling me, has be a little anxious. Also the hiring manager was loads more talkative and friendly than the CEO when I met him. So I was worried about that....but then again Im having a second interview...so the CEO must have liked me. Lastly, the fact that they schedule interviews by way of email has me wondering too. Ive always had employers call me.

I know Im psyching myself out, but I could use some advice and would like to hear about others experiences when it comes to reinterviewing for a position you didn't originally get.

Thanks.

HokeyReligions

Its a hold new world. I got my lat two job interviews set up via email. I was uncomfortable too. I kept thinking I'm going to get there and they won't have any idea who I am.

Ive met the person I would report to for five minutes then been handed off. Nit seems like that's getting more common. You have five minutes to make an impression. The HR manager conducts the meat of the interview and rates the candidates. Those go to the boss who chooses who s/he wants to see again based on their impression.

You have a great opportunity to reflect what you talked about and pick out some key topics. Things it seemed they wanted to know more about. Or that they focused on. He ready to sell yourself on those points. Show that you listened in the first interview. Think up some questions based on the first interview and ask in the second. Dont mention things about your current job that don't fit but rather what positives and experience you bring with you and what you learned from those tasks that may have been outside your scope of work. Show that you are open to that again if it enhances your skills.

You have to psych yourself for it. This sounds silly but practice smiling. That's important. And exercise. Seriously exercise will help improve your attitude and demeanor. Do some breathing exercises and stretches right before you go into not the interview. It will help you appear energetic and "raring to go" .

So I applied to this local business exactly a year ago. An old college classmate/friend of mine had been working there for 2 months at the time, and encouraged me to apply. I sent a follow up email a week after submitting my resume online, and received a call in to interview. I had an ok interview, but did not receive a second interview or anything. I got an email a few days later thanking me for coming in, and informing me that the company was going with another candidate.

I was really bummed at the time because I felt I would be able to do the job really well, and the position was really made for fresh grads or professionals with not much experience yet (which I still am). I also thought that having my friend there would help me get the job. The hiring manager asked her about me, and she vouched for me being a smart guy, and that she felt Id be able to do the job easily.

Anyways, a week ago I see the same position again online...and I thought "why not apply again? It wont hurt". Next day the CEO emails me, and we schedule an interview. I met with the CEO very briefly. He gave me a quick screening, and passed me on to the hiring manager who I met with last year. The hiring manager was very quick to explain to me how the budget is expanding, how the company is expanding, and why they only hire so few people when they do hiring. It did seem like he was trying to smooth over why I was not selected the year before.

I let them know why I wanted to leave my current position, and how I felt my current job was not the right fit for me. The hiring manager 4 or 5 times made sure I knew that Id have a more diverse workload, the ability to grow professionally, and that I wouldn't be doing the tasks which I said weren't the right fit for me at my current job (I basically cold call people to do surveys all day). It seemed like he really wanted to let me know that the company was expanding and that I wouldn't have to worry about having a mundane role with little room for growth...aka...he was trying to sell me on the position it seemed.

Anyways the interview went well, we even had a couple laughs, and he told me they would touch base at the end of the week. He also gave me his card and told me to call him to check-in with him in case I hadn't heard from him by today. He said he wanted to get me in for a second interview Friday or early next week. And I made sure to send him and the CEO thank you emails a couple hours after my interview.

So I called him today, and he told me that Id receive an email tomorrow with my date and time for my second interview next week. However, I cant shake the feeling that I may not get the job again. Granted I made it to the second interview this time...but with how much I hate my job right now, I really have not felt the most optimistic with regard to my professional life. I just really need to know how to sell myself in this second interview.

Plus tbh, the fact that I had to call him today to touch base, instead of them calling me, has be a little anxious. Also the hiring manager was loads more talkative and friendly than the CEO when I met him. So I was worried about that....but then again Im having a second interview...so the CEO must have liked me. Lastly, the fact that they schedule interviews by way of email has me wondering too. Ive always had employers call me.

I know Im psyching myself out, but I could use some advice and would like to hear about others experiences when it comes to reinterviewing for a position you didn't originally get.

Thanks.

1. Try not to worry too much about things you can't control. It's okay to feel bummed or anxious or whatever, but don't let it cloud everything else.

2. Keep expanding your professional network and be known to people. A lot of jobs these days are never officially announced to anyone. People are afraid to work with people they don't know, even if a friend can vouch for them. Hiring managers need to see people and feel them out. The only way to do that is to be transparent to them. Get a LinkedIn account. Go to local meetings of whatever field your in. Luncheons. Whatever. Get out. Be known.

• Author

So I didn't receive that email detailing the day and time of my second interview. I don't think this looks good at all. Especially when he said he wanted to see me early next week. Seems like if I was a strong candidate and if they were concerned about me giving my current job notice, that they would let me know when to come in ahead of time.

Oh wells.