Should I get another job?

I'm 27 and a recent college graduate with an MA. However, it's hard to break into my field and I have no previous work experience. Therefore, I'm currently working at an insurance agency (health) to pay off my loans and get some work experience while I try to break into my field.

However, my current job is just too stressful and I have to deal with annoying customers everyday. Plus with the added pressure that if I screw up, it's no joke since this is insurance. Since this is dealing with Obamacare, it was so crazy around the deadlines that I just felt so burned out.

I'm still making a lot of mistakes 3 months into my job and get yelled at often. Some of these mistakes are pretty major and my boss and coworkers have to scramble to mitigate the damage. It really makes me feel bad and it's having an effect on my confidence, especially considering my coworker who started a week after me has picked it up pretty fast. But all of this insurance stuff can be confusing and contradictory and it's seriously driving me crazy.

Furthermore, I am having problems with a coworker who alternates between being helpful but yet can be condescending as well. She openly discussed about my mistakes with the other coworker right in front of me and they laughed about it while I was helping a customer. It's really messed up but she has been here 6 years and so I rely on her a lot for help and guidance. How should I handle this?

I seriously feel like this isn't the right job for me but I do realize this is my first job and I don't want to feel like I didn't give it my all. However, it has been 3 months so isn't it enough time? Should I give it more time to see if I can pick it up or enjoy it more? Ultimately, this isn't the career path anyway since I want to go into my field. This is only temporary but should I give another try before I find another job? I don't want to feel like a quitter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 2

Are you in a 90 day probation period? Usually if you're making a considerable amount of mistakes in that time-frame, the probability that they will keep you on is slim. It sounds like you are doing your best, but this position is probably just not for you and there's no shame in that. What is your degree in? I think it's definitely better for you to try and secure another job, before you become unemployed.

• Like 1

It sounds like this isn't the job for you, and there is no shame in that. But, it is a job that is bringing in a paycheck. You should stick with it while you are looking for another job. I wouldn't recommend quitting until you have something else lined up.

I have been in a stressful job before. Let me tell you something - other companies hate to interview someone who is unemployed. They think there must be something wrong with you.

Now you are what..... 3 months out of college in the new job? No one is going to want to interview you when you have only been working 3 months they will think there is something wrong with you as well..... Unless maybe you state this was a contract "temp job"

You could I suppose pretend this job never happened - and go back to looking as a "recent grad" maybe using your college placement office …telling interviewers you took some time after college to do some volunteer work or something. If you have the support of parents of cash to ride out being out of work - this might work. But be aware if your out of college for more than 6 months - companies also thing no one wanted you - and why should they - hence you need a cover story why you have not been working.

I have been in a stressful job before. Let me tell you something - other companies hate to interview someone who is unemployed. They think there must be something wrong with you.

Now you are what..... 3 months out of college in the new job? No one is going to want to interview you when you have only been working 3 months they will think there is something wrong with you as well..... Unless maybe you state this was a contract "temp job"

You could I suppose pretend this job never happened - and go back to looking as a "recent grad" maybe using your college placement office …telling interviewers you took some time after college to do some volunteer work or something. If you have the support of parents of cash to ride out being out of work - this might work. But be aware if your out of college for more than 6 months - companies also thing no one wanted you - and why should they - hence you need a cover story why you have not been working.

I disagree. I was laid off a job a month ago and I get calls for interviews all the time. It's all about marketing yourself properly. When they ask what I have been doing, I talk about my volunteer work and seasonal side work. When they ask about my previous employer, I explain that they were having some financial difficulties and had to downsize. It happens in this economy. As long as you can show that you have been doing SOMETHING while you're unemployed, such as going to school, volunteering etc, it will look better.

• Author
Are you in a 90 day probation period? Usually if you're making a considerable amount of mistakes in that time-frame, the probability that they will keep you on is slim. It sounds like you are doing your best, but this position is probably just not for you and there's no shame in that. What is your degree in? I think it's definitely better for you to try and secure another job, before you become unemployed.

I completely agree and I don't plan on quitting until I find another job. I'm pretty sure they're not going to let me go after the probation period seeing as they're seriously understaffed and it can get pretty busy right now. Plus, they'd have train a new set of employees all over again.

But my question for you guys with more work experience is whether 3 months is too short of a time to judge whether a job is right for me? Should I give it more time? Say, at least 6 months?

• Like 1

I think that three months is too short to judge it, honestly. Once you get to know your coworkers and your job a little better, you'll be in a better place. Not to mention, you'll probably be proud of yourself for sticking it out. Not everyone, myself included, can pick up(learn) things super fast. It takes time and I bet if you stay for a few more months, you'll wonder why you found your work so confusing. I'd stay for a few more months before giving up. But then again it could also to be a good idea to start looking for something you'd like a little more. If this was your first job, don't be too picky(that's what makes it harder for people to get jobs these days. They're too picky about where they will or will not work)/

I completely agree and I don't plan on quitting until I find another job. I'm pretty sure they're not going to let me go after the probation period seeing as they're seriously understaffed and it can get pretty busy right now. Plus, they'd have train a new set of employees all over again.

But my question for you guys with more work experience is whether 3 months is too short of a time to judge whether a job is right for me? Should I give it more time? Say, at least 6 months?

3 months is generally sufficient to test out whether or not a job is for you. Basically, the 3 month probation period is for the company to assess your suitability and for you to also determine whether or not it is a good fit for you.

Will things change for you if you wait another 6 months? I seriously doubt it. How do I know? I've been where you are several times while I worked on advancing my career. If you don't enjoy the work you are doing, it's not likely you'll change your tune if you wait another 3 months.

My best advice to you is to start looking for something else. You're in a good position to look for another job because you can take your time while getting a steady paycheque.

Re-work your resume, add your current experience. Decide on what work you really want to do and pursue those jobs. Every time you apply for a new job, you should tailor your resume to fit with their job requirements.

If you're stressed out and unhappy, don't force yourself to stay.

• Like 2