Should I leave a job I really like for more money?

hearttopieces

I have a job that I honestly enjoy, I like the environment, the people, I like going to work. The problem is, it doesn't pay too well. I struggle to survive from one month to another. My rent and bills are exactly 50% of my monthly wages, so it is FAR from ideal. I share a house with flatmates and spend on basic things really.

For this reason I started looking for another job recently. I have an offer from a company for the same type of job but different industry. This position pays 35% more. I wouldn't enjoy this job as much as I do my current job, I know this for a fact due to different industry and environment.

The thought of leaving my current job literally gives me headache and anxiety. I have changed jobs about 4 times in the last 10 years, so this is not what I have experienced before as stress related to changing jobs. I just love my current job too much.

What should I do? My heart says stay but my mind says go for the better paying job.

I was hoping to get advice on this as I am really struggling to make a decision.

Edited by hearttopieces
  • Like 1

Talk to your boss about a living wage that reflects what you contribute to your current place of employment. Tell him or her that you love working there but are barely making ends meet and may have to look for another position unless they can give you a raise. If you are an asset, they will hear you out. I expect people to ask me for raises and benefits after they have proven themselves. As long as it is done in a respectful manner and they truly feel underpaid for their contribution, I take it under consideration and admire their confidence in their work.

If not possible due to the firm being non profit and allotted certain funds or you being poor at your position, keep looking for another position that you will enjoy and which will allow you to live comfortably while saving money for emergencies, retirement and travel.

Best,

Grumps

• Like 3

Pray about it. If you truly love your job, then make a list of the pros and cons for leaving vs staying (and don't let money factor in to the equation - even though that is your main reason). While you think you may like the other job, once you get there and the "new" wears off, you may not enjoy it so much.

I am speaking from experience here. Several years ago, I went to a new job just because it offered more money. I thought I would finally start getting ahead financially, I would love the job, etc. The job was so stressful, I ended up spending the extra money on doctor and hospital bills because the stress had such a negative impact on my health. So, my advice is to really think about it, pray about, and follow your heart.

• Like 1
HokeyReligions

Its tough. I left jobs I liked for more money and mainly for the experience and ended up so miserable I took a lower pay job just to get away. OTOH it's worked out. I'm closing in on retirement but when younger it might be worth the risk. If you are this unsure keep looking for another job. You don't have to take the first thing offered. 35% increase is pretty persuasive though.

Sorry I'm no help. Im thinking of what it would mean to me to increase my salary by that much. I stayed in a lower pay than I had but its a job that has offered me a lot of opportunity to advance and now maybe a career change. So even at my age I'm thinking ahead a little and putting in the work now to hopefully advance. Look at the industry and what the new job can offer besides income. Is it a good stepping stone? Does the company support advancement? How? Life is risk.

I've been in your spot. I had a job I recently liked very much and it tore me apart when they let me go. However, I think it was for the best, because my husband and I decided to move to a cheaper area where we won't have to struggle financially. I admit, even though I liked the job and it paid decently, due to the high cost of living, we were always super stressed out about making ends meet and being able to save up for another car and a house. I think the key is finding something you like, but that also pays enough so you're not living check to check, because what kind of life is that?

• Like 1

Getting a new job is like getting married after 1-3 dates, it's insanely risky, unless someone you trust gives you the good and the bad because they done it before you.

My advice is make it work where you are and get more money. Go to your manager when it's time for reviews or any time if they don't do them and ask for 1) a raise that matches the salary of the other company 2) additional vacation if you've been there a long time, maybe a personal day or working from home one day a week -- whatever makes sense, and 3) company paid training for a skill you'd like to develop.

Don't go in with one ask, go in with a bunch of them and position the raise as based on local salary research, that it matches other nearby employers. It reduces the chance of a complete no.

Do you want to spend years never having money to travel or start a family?

You are not saving anything at your current job. Do you want to go through life for potential YEARS with no travel or extra leisure?

Are you satisfied with only surviving and having friends and family as a source of happiness?

Personally, I want to save during my life time to travel and then start a family if I meet the right person.

You basically have to choose from a job you love and NO savings, or a job you like less but could grow to love AND the prospect of travel and starting a family and MORE.

• Like 1
Do you want to spend years never having money to travel or start a family?

You are not saving anything at your current job. Do you want to go through life for potential YEARS with no travel or extra leisure?

Are you satisfied with only surviving and having friends and family as a source of happiness?

Personally, I want to save during my life time to travel and then start a family if I meet the right person.

You basically have to choose from a job you love and NO savings, or a job you like less but could grow to love AND the prospect of travel and starting a family and MORE.

This!

My husband and I are moving out of the area after 6 years of being on our own. Reason being is that we're tired of struggling and living check to check and never being able to travel or save. My dad doesn't think we should move since "all the high paying jobs are here". Sure you can get paid well IF you are lucky to find a well paying job. Since there is so much competition in the area, that alone is difficult and the cost of living is high. We can make the wages we make now in another area and our living expenses cut by a third or even half. You cannot even rent an apartment alone on 40k a year here.

• Like 1

Go on job interviews and when you get an offer, don't accept it immediately. Tell them you need to discuss it with someone first and could you give them your answer before the end of the week or in two days or whatever. Then take that offer to your current employer and see if they can match it. At the very least they might not match but will give you more money.

Go on job interviews and when you get an offer, don't accept it immediately. Tell them you need to discuss it with someone first and could you give them your answer before the end of the week or in two days or whatever. Then take that offer to your current employer and see if they can match it. At the very least they might not match but will give you more money.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd recommend that. Saying you need to discuss the job offer with someone looks as if you cannot make your own decisions. If you must do this, ask for a day or two to think it over. Otherwise, it is entirely possible that they will give someone else the position who already has their mind made up while you're hemming and hawing over it.