Professor send me fb friend request?

regine_phalange

He is my supervisor and I also used to work with him. I have always been formal and cautious with what I say. Today he sent me a friend request on fb. I already have him on linkedin, so I wonder why. Is this common, or am I missing something? It makes me feel quite uncomfortable (even though everything in my profile is in private setting). I fear it happened beacause he is a gossiper. Oh man. Is it going to be rude if I ignore him? Or shall I accept him and put him on a restricted list? :sick:

edit; sorry for the grammar mistake on the title.

No. Deny.

If he asks why, just explain that due to your professional relationship, you would like to keep clear and established boundaries.

I think that's a completely legitimate reason.

Though, to be strictly honest, there's no reason why you should have to explain yourself at all.

FWIW, I have no colleagues as 'friends' either past or current.

For that very reason.

• Like 6

Do what makes you ultimately feel comfortable, and what will be in your best interests. Kinda is odd....

• Like 1

It is normal in my circle (I have several profs on mine, all my ex-classmates have them as well), so I wouldn't necessarily say he has ulterior motives.

That being said, if you don't feel comfortable, you can just ignore the request. It's perfectly acceptable to do so, he probably adds lots of students so he won't notice a few not responding.

• Like 3

I think you being connected to your professor on linkedin is enough. Facebook is for your personal life and there is nothing wrong with you wanting that clear separation. You don't owe your professor a lengthy explanation. If they mention it you can just say you prefer to be connected on linkedin and thats it.

• Like 2
Is it going to be rude if I ignore him?

I don't think it would be rude if you ignore the request. Like others have said, you don't owe him an explanation. But if you feel that you should say something or if he asks about it, say, "Sorry, I only use Facebook to keep in touch with close friends and family members. If you need to contact me, you can do so through Linkedin or my email, blahblahATblahblah.com. See you in class!"

• Like 2

I agree with the others. It is not rude to not accept a friend request. If he is bold enough to ask you about it, tell him that you prefer to keep your personal and professional lives separate--and send a clear message about where he fits into your life.

Also, I would advise not "ignoring" the request. Just let it sit there. That way, you can avoid the possibility of him sending another request.

• Like 3
  • Author
regine_phalange

Thank you guys! I think I'm going to let it sit there and accept it after I graduate or something. :laugh:

I agree. Don't ever let anyone you don't want onto your Facebook. It's creepy he's even trying. Don't make any excuse. If it comes up, say "My Facebook is strictly for my closest personal friends, not for professional relationships."

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Some of my professors are friends with some classmates....

Not to hijack your thread or antyhing like that, but I have a question about Linkedin since you mentioned it in your post.

Are Linkedin requests automatic? The other day I got a request, but I want to know if it was specially sent for me or if it was automatic? Can someone answer this question??

hey, I think he is making a play for you, seek discreet arbitration of a potential problem, just mention it, you do not want to be at the sharp end of any anger at a rejection

Are Linkedin requests automatic? The other day I got a request, but I want to know if it was specially sent for me or if it was automatic? Can someone answer this question??

They are specially sent but you do get requests from complete strangers as they try to sell their services etc

I got one from my teacher. But I don't know if he sent it to the entire class or just me...

They are specially sent but you do get requests from complete strangers as they try to sell their services etc