Branch Manager Hit on Me

I have been working for an insurance company for seven and a half months now. We recently got a new branch manager, meaning he is in charge of all of the offices in South Louisiana. The other night he started texting me at 2:30 am on a saturday night. He told me he was going to be in the new orleans area, where I live, and asked if I would like to spend some time together. At first I thought it must be work related, although, 2:30 was certainly a strange time to be texting me. I asked him what he needs. He then texted me if I would like to go to lunch. Still believing, or wanting to believe, it was about work, I asked him what time because I am going to be kinda busy. He texted me he was sorry if he woke me with a smiley face winking. I was waiting for a response, when I got a text that said, "do you want to hook up?" At that point I texted him that I can't, but thanks anyway.

The next day I texted a coworker what hooking up means. He said it means to go on a date. I told him that's what I thought and it was the branch manager at 2:30 in the morning. I also told him that it made me uncomfortable. The next morning the branch manager said he talked to my coworker and is very sorry that he made me uncomfortable and that he was not trying to date me. My coworker denies that he ever spoke to the branch manager about the situation, although, I kept telling him I would be fine with it since I didn't have to talk to the branch manager about it myself.

Now, I feel like I can't even call the branch manager cause I am still feeling very uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Um, I'm gonna wait for someone else to confirm this, but 'hooking up' means he wanted to meet you for sex. So, he wasn't lying when he said he didn't want to date you!

I'm going to guess you really need this job? Because he should be reported. Sticky situation indeed.

• Like 2

His behavior was unfortunate but since he has apologized if he never does it again, let it go. Pretend it didn't happen but don't forget.

Just in case, keep the texts especially the times.

BTW, how did this manager get your personal cell phone # anyway?

• Author

BTW, how did this manager get your personal cell phone # anyway?

As an insurance agent our cell phones are also our business phones. My voice mail is work related, and it is the number on my business card.

• Author
Um, I'm gonna wait for someone else to confirm this, but 'hooking up' means he wanted to meet you for sex. So, he wasn't lying when he said he didn't want to date you!

I'm going to guess you really need this job? Because he should be reported. Sticky situation indeed.

I'm sure it was for sex because he is totally married. Yes, I do need the job, but I do think I might look for something else.

A lot of the guys in the office flirt with me, mostly just telling me how attractive I am. I don't mind it unless they start getting gross, like one guy in particular does. I ignore it for the most part, just like I'm ignoring my manager, but for some reason I feel so very uncomfortable about him doing this. I guess cause he is my boss, and everyone loves him, so I never would have expected this from him. He always seemed like such a nice guy. I was so nervous to tell him that I was taking off for Christmas Eve. I normally call him, but I just texted him, very reluctantly.

I think what you should do depends on your career path. If it's just a job to you, then I would think just leaving it alone would be the way to go. If you care to remain with the company and advance your position, then I think it will require some more thought.

Because he does this kind of thing with direct reports, the liability issues get interesting for the company. You can now begin to question how much this episode factors in to each raise, bonus and promotion decision he makes with respect to you relative to your peers. No big deal, as long as everyone across the board agrees things are fair. But what if you find out you got more or less compensation than some other girl? What if she finds out she got less than you? What if she is promoted over you? Even things like this might not really bug you too much, but the company is vulnerable.

I don't think it would hurt anything to go to HR with this, but plan to name no names. Keep it hypothetical. "I have a friend at another company and X happened to her. What is the policy if X were to happen here? What advice would you give her?" The more information you have before you decide what to do, the better.