how do YOU handle drama queens at work?

HokeyReligions

I'm just curious how others deal with drama queens. I hate drama myself and have managed e o far by piling on specific tasks and deadlines. That works for the most part. I've had to address some issues with HR in a more formal setting but not often.

I've been offered a promotion to regional manager. I get tired just thinking about the drama that will ensue should I take it. However I'm ambitious enough and human enough to know that if I decline the dept. Drama queen's next promotion will put her almost at my level and instead of being her supervisor I will be her mentor. I do not want to mentor her. I dont like her. I could manufacturer a reason to terminate her but I'm not that vindictive - maybe. My company needs assets and if I mentor her and she's successful that could reflect well on me but I dont trust her.

If I accept the promotion I will not be able to get rid of her right away because that will be perceived as exactly what it would be - unprofessional and petty. Not a good start to a new position.

Im not going to not take the position because of her. If I decline it will be for other reasons.

How do YOU deal with drama queens?

Peer to peer, I ignore them & work around them.

Superior, I try to avoid them.

Subordinate -- I point out the undesirable behavior, I counsel them to stop & if it doesn't stop I take documented steps to terminate them.

• Like 1

I like the suggestions above. I'd also add that if you do take the promotion and become her boss, working to terminate her may not be the only option if she doesn't improve in response to your feedback. Perhaps there's another department she'd be better suited for and could be transferred? Perhaps she has aspirations that she won't be able to reach at this place and would like support moving on elsewhere? Sometimes I find drama queens have all that drama to hide the fact that they're miserable and don't know how to fix it.

• Like 1