Two jobs in the same department, should I apply for both?

thinkingofhim

I'm interested in two very similar jobs, both in a newly created department. I am qualified for the higher-level job, which requires my degree and experience exactly, and pays 15-39k more than the lower-level job. The lower-level job does not require an advanced degree but does require my experience -- so my degree makes me slightly overqualified, but an excellent fit. While this job pays less than the higher-level job, the pay and benefits are still excellent and would be a huge step up for me.

Obviously, I would prefer the higher-level job, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at the lower-level one!

My question is, will applying for the lower-level job hurt my chances of going after the one with a much better job title and better pay? I don't think I can afford NOT to apply for the lower-level job, as it would still be a leap forward for my career, but as my resume will be received by the same hiring manager I don't want them to think I am aiming low. Any advice?

Thanks for reading!

Instead of writing a job-specific cover letter, write one addressing the hiring manager in regards to joining his team. Briefly outline why you would be a good fit for either role and say you'd love to discuss it with him further. If he's interested in you at all, he'll reach out to you and go from there.

-A

• Author
thinkingofhim

Good suggestion! Unfortunately, as I work for the county (both jobs are also county jobs), cover letters are not accepted. I must submit a separate resume/application for each position.

Well, submit applications for both, then. Again, if the manager is interested at all, he will call you and when you talk, you can clarify anything you feel the need to :)