office gift suggestion needed

I own my own business & am a subtenant in an office suite, which is one of many in a large office complex. I often work late & chat with the lady hired by the building management to clean the offices.

I'd like to get her a little something for the holidays. I was thinking a $25 gift card to a coffee chain or something along those lines. Is that OK? Too much? Not enough? Is it even appropriate for me to do this? I've been here for several years but she's the only cleaning person who ever talked to me.

Understand, she is not my employee. I give my employees checks & a token like a box of candy because I firmly believe that no wants a "thoughtful" gift from their boss; they just want cash. Moreover, I also believe that office gift giving always goes "down"; nobody is expected to get their boss a gift & I would honestly be horrified if this woman got me anything. I view this more like tipping your doorman, mail carrier, hairdresser etc. at the holidays.

HokeyReligions

Its very appropriate to gift those who work in facilities management. Just like we gift our mail carriers, trash pickup, lawn care etc. Tho not a direct employee they do provide a service.

I've received gifts from subordinates in the past and its difficult because it can be perceived as a bribe.

I've given cash in a card. Can't go wrong with cash.

I think it sounds appropriate, but unless you see her with a Starbucks cup in her hand all the time, I would go with a gift card for something a little more practical. A local grocery store, Walmart, one of those Visa Gift Cards, or just cash stuffed in a Christmas card. Or if you're set on giving more of a "treat" then a gift card to an inexpensive restaurant she can take her family to.

Edited by CC12
  • Author

There's a Dunkin' Donuts in the mini mall across from our office building. I thought even if she doesn't like coffee, there she can get donuts, soda, hot food etc.

A Target or Walmart gift card. She would at least be able to spend that $25 on things she would probably need versus spending it all on donuts and their hot food. I think you can even get a Visa/Amex gift card for $25 that she could use anywhere.