How do you live without a job?

Give me some ideas here - no matter how off-the-wall - for how people live when they're unemployable.

I've been out of work for a year and a half now, and the little pick-up jobs that friends have been kind enough to throw my way (and I'm honestly grateful for every one of them!) are not making it any more: we've started putting mortgage payments on credit cards. Even the most optimistic economic forecasts I've seen point to YEARS before I might get employed again.

So I'll consider any suggestions you make. Thanks!

pitprincess

Good googley... lol

Thats a new one on me... I have been in this little house in the country to long.... lol

• Author
Originally posted by UCFKevin

Lots and LOTS of sperm donations.

OK - tell me more. I've already learned that donating blood only pays (and not a whole lot) if you have a rare combination of characteristics - and we in the O-positive group are seldom worth the effort to even test.

• Author
Originally posted by moimeme

What are your talents? How did you earn your living before?

(I didn't want to bias peoples' suggestions by saying much about myself, but this thread isn't very active so . . . )

In almost 25 years of trying, so far nobody's found anything that I'm truly skilled at, much less talented.

My last real job involved circuit design, product development and manufacturing of vending machine electronics.

dreaming4ever

I WISH I had the answer to your question...I would LOVE to be able to live without a job...working full time blows goats! Write a book on something you know a lot about maybe...even a formulaic romance novel can make $5000 (canadian) or more!

I am a 40 year old man, married with children and working a full time job.

I couldn't imagine surviving without a job, or trying to help support myself and family without steady work.

Sure when I was in my early 20's I never had a steady job but I lived with my parents, with friends, etc and didn't have many responsibilites.

aPpLe JuIcE

You can sell plasma. Usually pays around $35 and you can only do it once a week. They take anyone's as it doesn't have to be a certain type. Apparently plasma is plasma. Someone please correct on this if I'm wrong.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by daletom

Give me some ideas here - no matter how off-the-wall - for how people live when they're unemployable.

I've been out of work for a year and a half now, and the little pick-up jobs that friends have been kind enough to throw my way (and I'm honestly grateful for every one of them!) are not making it any more: we've started putting mortgage payments on credit cards. Even the most optimistic economic forecasts I've seen point to YEARS before I might get employed again.

So I'll consider any suggestions you make. Thanks!

Have you tried some headhunters? Personnel placement agencies? Career counselors at your area college?

Have you checked your local employment office for resources in finding what you are good at and enjoy?

Mortgage payments on credit cards is a bad path. Are you physically able to do manual labor for a while to pay the bills? What about construction jobs, or fast-food jobs? Where are you applying for work?

I have not had a permanent job myself since May 2003 and I'm working far beneath my potential just to make ends get close enough to wave to each other!

How are you at mixing drinks? Maybe you could work in a bar, or if you are not against it--try an adult movie theater/store. My brother worked at one for a while and it was dangerous, but he was in a glass cage except when he hosed down the theater. It was nasty work, but paid decent. He went from that to a cook in a nursing home! Get applications in EVERYWHERE for any job you are physically able to do, just to have enough money for the mortgage payment. Then get some career counseling.

Do you have any office skills? Try a temporary agency. I did all kinds of things through temp agencies from answering phones to helping with inventories and I had three different companies offer me full time positions (I'm lucky enough to be working for one of those companies 20 years later). And there are some agencies that are more technical in nature since you have circuit design and manufacturing in your background.

I really feel for you - I absolutely hate looking for work, have had to scramble for jobs at the company I'm at when we've reorganized - it's awful.

If ever you want to know anything about anything, type it into Google.

Plasma is a component of blood. They can't take just plasma. They take your blood and take the plasma out.

dreaming4ever

I'd sell my blood once a week if I could but they don't pay $$ for that in Canada :( too bad!!

Originally posted by moimeme

Plasma is a component of blood. They can't take just plasma. They take your blood and take the plasma out.

Actually you can give just plasma via plasmapheresis. Your blood is run through a machine that removes just the plasma, and the rest of the blood is given back to you. http://www.biolifeplasma.com/en/donating-plasma/donation-process.html

Plasma does have to be the right type to be infused into someone else, but the requirements are not quite as stringent as they are for infusing red blood cells.

Well, technically they still take all the blood, even if they then give some back :p:laugh:

My last real job involved circuit design, product development and manufacturing of vending machine electronics.

daletom, the vending machines are filled with $$$...........................................................................hint...hint/ wink........wink ;)

Hokey's brother hosing down the floors of adult theatre....LOL. :D ........Hokey, you crack me up..........some jobs are not for the faint of heart! :sick:

I'm not even going to try to beat that.

There are just about always jobs in the medical field, some don't require any schooling other than high school.

Are you good at sales? How about car salesman, or some sort of salesman.

Computer repair?

soccorsilly

Vending Machine Electronics--I am sure there are service companies out there who can use your skillset. I have a Pinnball Machine in my house and every time I need a repair done on it, it is like $300.00. So I can only imagine that there are opportunities out there. Do you have any Dave N Buster's or Jillians out your way--they are restaurants loaded with big screen tvs and games. I am sure they have a need for a qualified electronic mechanic.

Also, depending on your personality, look into the bar deal. Do not go to a school, learn on the job. When I was in my 20's I tended bar at a night club in addition to my "real" job for 4 nights a week and NEVER left without at least $200 in cash from tips. Now that was related to the bar itself, but if you can find one that has live entertainment, you ought to do well if you have an outgoing personality. As for the mixing--learn on the job!

krbshappy71

Not an employment suggestion but it may help until that happens for you:

Excellent book called Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacizyn (did I spell that right?) has tons of ways to cut back during any crisis or just to change your lifestyle in general. It really helped me through some tough times. You can find it at a used bookstore so it will be cheaper to buy. Credit counselling is free, definitely look into that suggestion. There are also lots of websites with money saving ideas, I belong to one called Dollar Stretchers.

I have several friends in your situation, hang in there and things will work out. Don't lose your house, sell things off, whatever you have to do to keep the house. Don't spend $ out of frustration, that's a common reaction to the stress of not having $ is to put things on credit to feel better temporarily.

Goodwill hires people to sort through their donations. No skills necessary. I worked for them for a year while going to college because I wanted something easy instead of a more demanding job. Nice people, stable hours, steady income, easy work. Look into it! :)