the hourly vs salaried debate

Okay,

So everything went really great with the interview I even had the drug testing while there :eek: (literally peed in the cup!:laugh:) I came home and had a phone call from corporate for another interview, apparently I passed that because I received an email from them stating after they talked to their admin they would like to call me next week and what's a good day.

We did discuss money as she wanted to know my "number" which apparently isn't out of the question. I did ask for a significant increase from current. I do review work in my field but as I came to it without a lot of experience in this field, I am not paid that well. I am paid hourly. I do not have much overtime, company frowns on it. No evenings/weekends.

I have previous management in my former career but there was no weekends/evenings there. I just mainly worked through lunch stuff like that.

This job is a really cool mix of management, teaching (education is my primary role) and hands on. The hands on will be if there are call offs, or short for other reasons. I was told there may be some on call for an emergency and an occasional weekend.

There should be no problem right, as my current job is a dead end for the most part. It's "easy" but headachy paper shuffling work. The main problem aside from the main demographic that I deal with, is the co-workers. They are truly awful. Aside from bitchy, they are delusional, make stories up, have an 8th grade bullying playground mentality (it's covert though they use the snide put downs in front of you but behind your back) it's just truly awful. I have been trying to get out 6mos after I started, but I want the "right" job.

This feels right in many ways. I don't mind an occasional late evening. It was mentioned for example if a teaching session would go til like 7pm I would just leave earlier the next day. There's no time clock it's all on the honor system of coming and going.

My hesitation is the knowing that I will have a life. I told them even on the interview (because it's that important to me and I won't sacrifice my family) that I NEED a work/life balance. I will give over and above while there and even the occasional on call as they mentioned for emergencies etc... but I must have that down time to recharge and regroup and be able to give my all.

Anything I'm reading though says to run far and away from salaried positions as it's just a way to get more work for free. Has this been true in your experience?

Whether your employer pays you a salary or hourly doesn't control whether you are legally entitled to overtime in the US. The Fair Labor Standards Act is the definitive answer to that question & it turns on your functional responsibilities. If you go to the US Department of Labor's website, www.dol.gov search for the FLSA & take the on-line "quiz" about what you will be doing. It will tell you whether you are an exempt or non-exempt employee. If you have significant managerial responsibilities you will most likely not be entitled to overtime.

• Like 1
  • Author
Whether your employer pays you a salary or hourly doesn't control whether you are legally entitled to overtime in the US. The Fair Labor Standards Act is the definitive answer to that question & it turns on your functional responsibilities. If you go to the US Department of Labor's website, www.dol.gov search for the FLSA & take the on-line "quiz" about what you will be doing. It will tell you whether you are an exempt or non-exempt employee. If you have significant managerial responsibilities you will most likely not be entitled to overtime.

I do already know I won't be entitled to overtime. That's the thing though. When you're salaried, is it a given that you're expected to never say no and always be there for the company? I was painted a picture that there may be late days but it will balance with being able to leave early. That would be great if in theory it's true. I will have 3 weeks plus a couple other days of vacation which is great. But I've always heard horror stories of no life when you work for a salary.

• Like 1

I am hourly at my new job, but there are several people here on salary...mostly the people who have been here longer or get paid more. IMO, I think salaried is better. This is coming from someone who has worked a lot of hourly jobs where your working hours fluctuated and one week you may not have enough to make ends meet. Being salaried makes it easier to plan your monthly budget, because you know EXACTLY what you will be paid. Also, you can go to lunch without worrying about rushing back to punch a time clock and having to stay longer to make up the extra time. On those days where we've had company paid lunches, I've had to work a longer day because we must as hourly employees, put in 8 hours each day. Salaried employees have more wiggle room as far as that since they do not have to punch a time clock. I work for a mid sized tech company and there is hardly overtime for most people unless you have a top-tier position and are managing others. But if I had a good salary, I wouldn't mind working overtime. :cool:

befriendlyplease
Okay,

So everything went really great with the interview I even had the drug testing while there :eek: (literally peed in the cup!:laugh:) I came home and had a phone call from corporate for another interview, apparently I passed that because I received an email from them stating after they talked to their admin they would like to call me next week and what's a good day.

We did discuss money as she wanted to know my "number" which apparently isn't out of the question. I did ask for a significant increase from current. I do review work in my field but as I came to it without a lot of experience in this field, I am not paid that well. I am paid hourly. I do not have much overtime, company frowns on it. No evenings/weekends.

I have previous management in my former career but there was no weekends/evenings there. I just mainly worked through lunch stuff like that.

This job is a really cool mix of management, teaching (education is my primary role) and hands on. The hands on will be if there are call offs, or short for other reasons. I was told there may be some on call for an emergency and an occasional weekend.

There should be no problem right, as my current job is a dead end for the most part. It's "easy" but headachy paper shuffling work. The main problem aside from the main demographic that I deal with, is the co-workers. They are truly awful. Aside from bitchy, they are delusional, make stories up, have an 8th grade bullying playground mentality (it's covert though they use the snide put downs in front of you but behind your back) it's just truly awful. I have been trying to get out 6mos after I started, but I want the "right" job.

This feels right in many ways. I don't mind an occasional late evening. It was mentioned for example if a teaching session would go til like 7pm I would just leave earlier the next day. There's no time clock it's all on the honor system of coming and going.

My hesitation is the knowing that I will have a life. I told them even on the interview (because it's that important to me and I won't sacrifice my family) that I NEED a work/life balance. I will give over and above while there and even the occasional on call as they mentioned for emergencies etc... but I must have that down time to recharge and regroup and be able to give my all.

Anything I'm reading though says to run far and away from salaried positions as it's just a way to get more work for free. Has this been true in your experience?

You should get insurance benefits and expect to move forward on your career path. Save money in case you need to quit because the job is unreasonable. Set firm boundaries about what you will do and how you expect to be treated on the job.

Its varying contingent on the field of work.

*Sales- Go Salary with commissions to boot

*Medical* Go salary...

*admin- Contingent on level of expertise...Most are salary...

* Blue Collar Job- Go Union :) - Hourly

* teachers/professors- Already union with hourly and salary contingencies.

The key when negotiating is finding the benefits that work with the environment of career and create a positive reward for both the employer and employee. Sometimes getting a paid gas car budget, paid medical insurance offsets some monetary wages....

Personal days and vacations upfront are a must when going into some job markets, otherwise you are left with rebuilding based on time served...

• Like 1

The biggest question is exempt or nonexempt. That is really going to determine the ability to get overtime. Actually, in that ideal, salary and nonexempt is ideal as you won't get dinged for less than 40 hours but you will make overtime.

But, for me, I want to be exempt because I want to be in management. I haven't made overtime in . . . . gosh years.

I think if you are going to be abused in your hours that is likely to happen specific to that company regardless of overtime.

I say go for it and see what happens. Put down your boundaries early about your work/life balance and see what happens. Maybe it is because I have never found it hard to find another job that it is worth the gamble of making a bad move on the chance that this is a great move for your career.

I have no issues putting in extra hours if I am repaid for it with flexibility, acknowledgement, and financially. I say go for it, what do you have to lose? You don't like your colleagues anyway so aren't happy there.

Do you have a career goal? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Good luck!