I am so angry that I could spit nails just now. Grrrrrr!

I had a wonderful interview last Friday. The interviewer complimented my intelligence and said I was very well spoken. He also showed me where my office would be if I was hired. My intuition tells me those are very good signs. I have been on many interviews.

I sent him a thank you email. In response, this man asked for my references on Monday. It is now THURSDAY and he has not called them. :mad:

I don't understand the point of asking for references, if a potential employer has no intention of contacting them. Normally, asking for references has led to a job offer for me. Who asks for references and then doesn't even call them?? I am so embarrassed! I told my references that they would be getting a call. Now I have received emails asking why nobody has contacted them.

I am going to another interview today. I hope that if this company wants to hire me, there will be no pussyfooting about and playing games. I am very very annoyed and I'm not even sure if I want the job anymore. The manager seems very unprofessional and ridiculous.

Some companies(like my hospital), wait till they have collected all potentials to be hired. They will collect their info, and contacts, then call em on set days. In order of which they have had their interview.

H.R. ;)

• Like 3
UpwardForward

They don't necessarily have to call on your prev employers/references. Perhaps it's good enough for them to Know you have references.

• Like 3

It's possible they forwarded the references to their HR dept to check and they're slow.

My SO recently got a job and this was the slowest part. The HR lady was slow as heck and took her 4 days to talk to all three people on the list for one reason or another.

Don't despair yet :)

-A

• Like 1
  • Author
Yeah employers continue to play games with people's lives. I can see how you would think those were good signs because when I was told in the past where my office would be if I was hired I ended up getting the job.

I would just send a follow up email in regards to the references and see what happens

EXACTLY. Why show someone where their office would be if there was no intent to put them in that office?

I called the man who interviewed me yesterday. It was around 9AM.

He said that he didn't have a chance to talk to my references and he would try that afternoon.

He never called either one of them. :mad: What a jackass!

• Author

I assume the job can only be yanked from you if you test positive for drugs, have a criminal record or if your references have negative things to say about your performance.

I am glad I was able to refrain from sending a peevish email the hiring manager. If he really did not want me as an employee, he would have simply said so rather than admitting he hadn't called my references. Maybe I will hear from him tomorrow.

My current company took over a week to complete my reference check. Companies are busy and can get caught up, especially if they are interviewing multiple people for multiple positions. It is annoying, but try not to take offense. You can casually ask when you can expect your references to be called. At least my hiring manager did tell me when she'd be calling my references so I could let them know to expect the call. I ended up with a good job, but the whole background check, reference check and employment verification took nearly a month, so don't worry too much.

I think that was the same amount of time for me, about a week before they were completed. I was nervous though because the fact that my references had to complete a form that was emailed to them I was like OH NO lol

Yeah, they weren't in too much of a hurry to fill the position. However, I was also at another job, so the 30 days from when I was offered the job included my 2 week notice. (job offer was contingent on completion of background, reference check and verification going through) so it really took about two weeks for the above and then the second 2 weeks was the notice period I had given my current employer after the above was completed. Nyla, usually reference checks are done when they plan to offer you the job. It just sounds like they are not too eager to get the position filled. Employers seldom check references of each person they interview.

As to references, I don't call references 2 years or older. Most companies do not remember you after 2 years.

When I call for references, about 50% do not call me back.

• Author
That's true, they wouldn't be going through all of that if they were not going to offer you the job?

This is what I was thinking.

Who asks for references and shows a candidate where her office will be if they aren't thinking of making an offer?

• Author
9 times out of 10 when someone shows you where u will be sitting then that means they want to hire you

I would stay on top of it because all the good signs are there.

in my case all I got back was ................"we will be making a selection in the new few weeks"

LOL

That's what I'm used to. I already called on Wednesday so I will not be calling again.

I am going to a job fair today. No use waiting around for this guy. So far, I am not very impressed.

That's what I'm used to. I already called on Wednesday so I will not be calling again.

I am going to a job fair today. No use waiting around for this guy. So far, I am not very impressed.

It just sounds like they are taking their time. Meanwhile, keep applying elsewhere until you get the green light.

It took me 3 MONTHS for my HR person to get my stuff done so I could get hired. It took my daughter almost 2 months before she made it through HR's hoops.

• Author
I wouldn't go to a job fair unless it was in my field of interest but that is just me lol

We all don't have the luxury of waiting until we can find something in our respective fields. :rolleyes: If I did that, I would be unemployed for a very long time and that is unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Author
I just never saw the point of standing in a long line with all the people I am competing with for jobs when i can be home applying and coming up with new strategies.

And I agree we can't afford to wait for a job in our field but job fairs are just usually "apply on our website"

Then you feel like you wasted a trip

I have obtained two different well paying jobs at job fairs.

This was before I went back to college. :)

This job fair was an information session and group interview.

The interviewer was very impressed with my answers. I stood out in a good way.

My references have finally been called. :laugh:

• Author
It took me 3 MONTHS for my HR person to get my stuff done so I could get hired. It took my daughter almost 2 months before she made it through HR's hoops.

This is a part time position, albeit at a very large company. A regional vice president did my reference check.

Edited by Nyla
I left retail more than ten years ago. It was something I did while I was in high school.

I refuse to work on commission or in any kind of sales.

Yeah, he said a lot of these job fairs was all they had, so they ended up being a waste of time. It seems like a lot of office or tech jobs don't participate at these fairs.

Tech and healthcare tend to be niches of their own. Here in the northeast there are HUGE fairs for both that have great reputation and attendance from employers. This is because of the sheer amount of companies that we have in these sectors... it may not be the case elsewhere in the US.

Nyla, did your references ever get a call?

I don't live in the US.

My references received calls but I have not received a response. They both said that the conversations went well.

I am not impressed with this potential employer. I don't appreciate being given a timeline for each stage of the interview process and then being jerked around. I think that is very unprofessional.

I had a wonderful experience at the job fair and I believe that I will probably hear from the company I interviewed for. If I get the job that I was posting about, I may turn it down because I don't appreciate the antics and mixed signals.

Where in the world do you live, for future reference?

Try to remember that their HR department isn't a representation of how YOUR department is run. Unless, of course, you're in HR field and these are the people you would be working with :p

It's good to have options. Never stop the search until you have received and accepted an offer. :)

-A

• Like 2

That is annoying. My current job took awhile with the process, but at least they kept me informed each step of the way.

• Like 1

Nyla I feel your pain even though I am still employed and trying to get out.

I know it may not seem like it, but a bright side is at least you are able to hold on to your sanity. Mine is being ripped from me bit by bit that I only hope I can regain myself professionally when I eventually get another job.

I work with such childish bitches (there is no other word for them, especially today) that at times I would like a respite from there. I take the high road by not engaging but it's draining. The right thing will happen for you in time, hang in there!

Oh, and don't even get me started on the unprofessionalism of HR. Absolute B.S. the ridiculous hoops and games.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers
You're right. That's why I went to the job fair.

There wasn't an HR department at the first company I interviewed for. It was the regional vice president doing the hiring and calling references.

I live in Canada.

I have been unemployed for less than twenty days and I am already very antsy. I can't stay at home; I feel much more productive and happy when I am employed.

Hi Nyla. Wherever you are in the country, come to Alberta. The employment is so so so much better here than any of the other three provinces I've lived in and there is way more to offer to a young family comparatively.

I've been all over Canada multiple times (yes everywhere except Labrador) and its just so much better in Alberta employment-wise.

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers
I would love to come to Alberta. However, my husband is based here with his company and he is the main breadwinner.

Nice suggestion though! ;)

If my husband and I could both find work, we would move to the Maritimes where he is from.

Everything is very cheap out there but the unemployment rate is also very high.

I bet $50 bucks I know what province you are in LOL.

And yes the Maritimes have had a rough go. But so many boomers will retire out there with their scads of cash and bring back some jobs for the kids. :)