Tipping- it ain't a city in China

Joel's thread got me thinking about this b/c he was told he could make rent in 5-7 nts waiting tables or bartending.

However I noticed Joel is from Vancouver and I know some countries don't require tipping.

So what's the deal- how do you decide how much you tip?

I bartended for 5 yrs and I can tell you most US guides state 15% for average service, 20% for good service, and upward at your discretion for outstanding service. Bartenders- $.50 -$1 a drink. I can also tell you how rare it is for people to follow these guidelines.

Is it b/c they don't know any better or b/c they have high ideas of "good service"?

I have waited tables at about 10 different restaurants. The key to making money is to choose a busy busy restaurant and get on the boss's good side (then he'll give you good sections.)

Anyway, I always tip 20% unless the waiter really does something wrong. I always give the benefit of the doubt if something DOES go wrong. And if the waiter admits fault and is polite and apologetic, I will still tip the same.

My feeling is that to me (as the customer) a dollar or not does not make too much difference, but to the waiter, it could make his night. Plus I want to make up for all the a-holes who think 10% is good. :sick:

If I feel the waiter really hasn't done his job, then I will tip between 10-15% because maybe he's just having a bad night.

Bill ___________Tip

$20-30 --------------$5

$30-35 --------------$6

$35-40 --------------$7

$40-45 --------------$8

$45-50 --------------$9

$50-55 --------------$10

and so on. I know this isn't exactly 20%, but I always add an extra dollar or two. You can make someone's night by pumping up their tip, why not?

I used to work in a restaraunt. Tipping is appreciated. But it's OPTIONAL. It always amazed me that you pay extra to people paid to bring the food to your table......

Here in Italy people usually tip small amounts or not at all, unless they are in very expensive restaurants or the service is outstanding.

But that is because in restaurants and bars a 15%-20% service charge is usually added to the total.

So I guess that in any country where service charge is not included in the bill it would be correct to tip the same amount (15-20%) that here we get automatically to pay when presented the bill.

• Author

Servers are paid below min wage b/c their income should be made up in tips. If the owner of an establishment had to pay servers regular wages then your steak dinner would cost $30 to make up the dif. Restaurants that already cost that much are giving the $ to a primo chef or ritzy extras for atmosphere -so your server still should be tipped.

Thanks for the sheet holdon, I DO tip. But I'm not afraid to NOT tip if the service is less than excellent.

• Author

So I guess that in any country where service charge is not included in the bill it would be correct to tip the same amount (15-20%) that here we get automatically to pay when presented the bill.

I know some Asian countries consider it an insult to tip b/c you are implying that a server can't support their family on their own. They are already paid a normal hrly wage.

Isn't it illegal to pay below the minimum wage? Hence the term "minimum wage". And most steak dinners DO cost between 20-30 bucks. I remember clearly that a big log of prime rib cost the restaraunt 80 bucks or so (good stuff too, they're famous for steaks and PR) and you'd get a few ounces of it for 25 dollars. Oh sure, overhead and such and wages cost a lot-but if they're working for less than minimum wage they should be looking for a new job. Minimum wage where I live, BTW, is over 7 dollars an hour.

• Author
Originally posted by Mr Spock

Thanks for the sheet holdon, I DO tip. But I'm not afraid to NOT tip if the service is less than excellent.

If the service REALLY sucks you should report it to a manager b/c 1 bad server can affect the entire establishment.

Decent food w/ a great server guarantees a return. Great food w/ an awful server is below average on a return.

• Author

Isn't it illegal to pay below the minimum wage? Hence the term "minimum wage". And most steak dinners DO cost between 20-30 bucks. I remember clearly that a big log of prime rib cost the restaraunt 80 bucks or so (good stuff too, they're famous for steaks and PR) and you'd get a few ounces of it for 25 dollars. Oh sure, overhead and such and wages cost a lot-but if they're working for less than minimum wage they should be looking for a new job. Minimum wage where I live, BTW, is over 7 dollars an hour.

Servers can make below hourly MW b/c their income is (supposed to be) supplemented w/gratuity.

Bartenders usually make more hrly but it's not guaranteed.

Isn't it illegal to pay below the minimum wage?

MrSpock, I thought you said you had waited tables??

Waiters do NOT make minimum wage. I have worked in two states, one paid only $2.15 per hour, the other paid $3.33 per hour. So, when you get your paycheck, it is almost nothing (maybe $50-100 for two weeks) because they take the taxes out, based on your reported tips.

Workers who rely on tips are only paid a certain percentage of minimum wage.

I think that if you withhold tip, you should really think about whether the waiter is at fault or not. Is it his fault that he was sat with five tables at once? Or that the kitchen put cheese on the meal? Or that the food runner forgot to bring ketchup?

I am also not afraid to undertip if he REALLY does a bad job, but I have to be sure of it. If I get what I want when I want it, then he's getting 20%.

btw, how much do you tip in the US people who deliver pizza or fast food to your home?

I tip them $2-$5.

Oh sure, overhead and such and wages cost a lot-but if they're working for less than minimum wage they should be looking for a new job.

No offense, but if a person doesn't want to tip, he should just eat at home.

• Author
Originally posted by Adunaphel

btw, how much do you tip in the US people who deliver pizza or fast food to your home?

I live in the sticks so $5 every time. It would be more but we're all country here so Dominos drivers get paid between $11-$15 an hr + gas (which these days ='s about $400 an hr :p )

I work as a bartender/manager at a local bar downtown. I agree with Holdon the key to good tips is to pick a busy bar. But I would also like to add how you relate to customers really plays a big factor in your tips..

We sell 16oz. Pabst Blue Ribbon for $2.00 and nine times out of ten the staff and I are tipped 100%

Keep in mind, I do not expect tips from customers, tips are to show appreciation for good service. I myself, make a solid effort to get to know regular customers on a personal level so they feel comfy coming it to the bar.. :bunny:

But I will say that it is great to work three days a week and make $600.00 :D

• Author
Originally posted by HoldOn

No offense, but if a person doesn't want to tip, he should just eat at home.

Or order to-go...hostesses are paid MW ;)

You are assuming I live in a state. If you're on the books, legally, you can't be paid below minimum wage where I live. Anyone who chooses to do so is gambling on a whole lot of nothing. I myself and every other member of the staff made at least minimum wage, some above. The line cooks made better wages because they received a smaller portion of the tips.

Ah yes,,,, well in the U.S., service is NOT included in the price of food. and waiters make between $2-3 per hour.

I take no offence HoldOn-as I said before, I DO tip for good service. I simply don't follow that a 15-20 percent gratuity is an entitlement for doing something that you're already paid to do. I always viewed tips as an extreme bonus-I was good at my job.

Isn't it illegal to pay below the minimum wage? Hence the term "minimum wage".

There are certain wages that can go below minimum wage.

One is a 'learner's wage', if they have to take time out of their schedules to teach you things. Another is a 'server's wage', which implies that you make up the rest of your money in tips.

Service isn't included in the price of food here either. It's just illegal to pay someone below the set minimum wage. Not quite sure why it's ok in your state.

I understand now Dyer. Here, it's minimum wage. Doesn't matter if you're training, or serving, or standing in a corner picking your nose, if you've got your number and are being paid on the books you don't make below it.

• Author

It's a FEDERAL law not State. How many restaurants have you worked in? Maybe the owners are just kind.