Ever quit a job and wanted it back?

red-rose-in-winter

I feel like I have made a major mistake. I quit my job this past Tuesday, and now I am beginning to have second thoughts.

The reason I quit was because work has been majorly s-l-o-w and I have been laid off for two months...then they called me back to work for one or two days out of a month. It didn't help matters that they moved me to another department where the people over there are NOT friendly at all....in a nutshell, I was miserable. :sick:

So I decided to quit and find another job. But where I live, jobs are VERY hard to find. I guess I am in a "Catch 22." I really don't like working over there in that certain department, and I told my boss that, but if I refused to work in that department, I would get fired. And out of stubborn pride :p , I would rather quit than be fired.

But on the other hand, I REALLY need to work, and I feel so quilty I quit because my husband is thinking of giving up his business (that he LOVES) here at home so we can pay our bills. (Without me working now, there goes a paycheck)!!!

So I'm wondering....ya'll may think that I am a total FLAKE....should I call my boss up and ask if I can have my job back? :o When I called and told him that I was quitting, he asked me: "Are you SURE you want to do this?"

I need some advice. Has anyone here at LS ever asked for their job back? I guess I am just panicking because there's no other jobs and our bills are coming!!!! :eek:

Max's boss was head of our department and he quit to take another job. He hated it and used to call Max almost every week saying how he wished he'd never quit and wished he could have his old job back. Max encouraged hinm to approach our big boss and try to get his job back (two months had passed). Anyway he did and Max's boss is Max's boss once again.

This all happened in a very conservative and professional field so that should show that it wouldn't be all that weird of you to say you've reconsidered. Max wishes you the best of luck. :)

• Author
red-rose-in-winter

Thanks for replying.....The place where I work(ed) was a warehouse job. I was making good money for what my job was. All I had to do was scan barcodes on products and put them in certain boxes by letter codes.

I know what some of you are thinking....she's CRAZY for quitting a job like that!!! :laugh: But I guess in the back of my mind I was hoping some job would just pop up around here where I live. ( I drive 45 minutes to the warehouse job). Well, I've been looking in the paper, and on the internet...and it is very slim pickings!!! If I had to do it over, I would have waited until I had found another job before I quit. But sometimes you do things before thinking them through. :rolleyes:

But what is really gnawing at me is that my husband is thinking of giving up his business because I quit. He won't say that's the reason he's giving it up, but I know it is. He is so HAPPY working for himself!!! I feel like such a loser for letting him down. We talked about it last night, and he said that without two steady incomes, we can barely make our bills. But I feel like if I could (maybe) get my old job back he might reconsider......

I guess I just need to stash my pride and go back and at least ASK for my old job back. It's worth a try.

Hey I was just looking at your post. I quit ;my job like 2 weeks ago b/c I did not want to work with one of my supervisors there. I did not say that when I quit of course. But then I found out she is now leaving/gone! So now I am like hello! I want the job back b/c I love everyone else there at that school. I'm a teacher. So I wanted to ask you what happened with you? I'm thinking of doing the same but do not want to appear flakey and nuts. Let me know!!

Lola

• Author
red-rose-in-winter

Hey LolaLopez:

You asked what happened with me after I quit my job and wanted it back. I haven't called my supervisor and asked for my job back yet. I am kind of torn on what to do.

In a way I would like to have my job back (the hours were great and the pay was too), but on the other hand I had missed a lot of days last winter since it snowed a lot, and if I am out anymore (winter is coming up soon) I'm afraid that they will fire me!!! :p

I would like to find something closer to where I live (at the job I just quit I was driving 45 minutes). That way, if we have a rough winter I won't have so far to go to get there. So for now I think I will look for something closer to home. Even if it is for less pay, that will be OK.

In your situation.....since that supervisor you had that you didn't like is gone now, what do you have to lose by asking for your job back? They can only tell you one of two things....yes or no. My advice to you is to talk to them before they hire someone else!!!

I wish you the best of luck!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't you say that you were only working 2 days a month? Haha, no kidding "the hours were great!" Haha. The pay must have been outrageous for you to miss your checks so much... for working 2 days a month.

:p

I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about... but anyway all joking aside, the pickin's might be slim but stop "think I will look"ing and start applying. Go to a temping agency. apply everywhere. As I understand it you've been unemployed for months and still nothing? Shoot, send your resume to your old boss with a cover letter saying you're experienced and think you meet the qualifications for a position as "your old job title or a similar or even a different one". It might be funny and take the edge off. Anyway, if he takes you back, consider it temporary... you -did- quit for a reason - you just forgot to find another job first. Doh!