Getting fired tonight

Basically my boss is coming in tonight to fire or have me transferred. He doesn't know that I know he is coming in to let me go, but I know he is. I'm unsure on how to act when it happens. I mean I'm fine with being let go, the guy flips out over little things and blames me for others showing up late. I really don't know what to do. I know he is coming in, he doesn't know that I know that, so I want to act surprised, but I'm in a good mood about it, and no sure what I should do when he first comes in, or when he tells me I'm not working at this site anymore. I'm 20 years old and I work a security job. Nothing to pack up, everything is already in my car, and its not an office so I have no files to take or anything.

Pretend you know nothing about it and act as you normally do. You don't need to act surprised. Just take it like a champ. Thank him for the opportunity and tie up any loose ends, then be on your way.

• Like 2

Right when you see him stand up and yell "There you are! Finally! I'm so sick and tired of this hellhole I quit!"

And then get all the things off your chest that you can't stand.

First job I ever had was the worst ever. Had to sweep an entire parking lot. Hated it so much that I was going to quit, when the creepy manager told me that I apparently wasn't sweeping fast enough. I was so happy and relieved about being fired that I completely forgot to tell him where he could stick his broom, as I had original planned to do when quitting...

• Like 1

Of course if there are more people working there, when you see the boss, I suppose an alternative could be to loudly say that you quit, cause you know about his criminal record, and you just can't work a for a registered sex offender anymore, now that you'll be a father yourself soon!

• Like 1

Already too late I'm sure, but having been canned once, I think the best thing to do is to accept it as gracefully as possible. Believe me, it's not easy. It often seems unfair when we end up getting tossed, but you can't look at it in terms of fair or unfair; it just is.

In the end, although it might not seem like it, getting fired is probably just an opportunity for you to do something different. At least you won't have to tolerate working in that environment anymore and all the stress that comes with it. And who knows, you might actually find a better job somewhere else.

It's also a time to reflect deeply on what you could have done - if anything - to have improved your case for staying there. That's probably the toughest part because we never want to look at ourselves - I know I didn't when I got canned. Time has allowed me to be a little more objective about my firing. Although I still believe it was not necessary, I also accept there were things - little things - I could have done that might have changed perceptions about me - or maybe not. Either way, a person benefits from the reflection process.

• Like 2

Yup... Of course the smart and boring idea is to tackle it gracefully and professionally, especially if you plan on working again in the same industry or its a smallish town you're in.

On the other hand, by not behaving gracefully, you'll have a good story to tell at parties for years! ;)

• Like 1
Right when you see him stand up and yell "There you are! Finally! I'm so sick and tired of this hellhole I quit!"

And then get all the things off your chest that you can't stand.

First job I ever had was the worst ever. Had to sweep an entire parking lot. Hated it so much that I was going to quit, when the creepy manager told me that I apparently wasn't sweeping fast enough. I was so happy and relieved about being fired that I completely forgot to tell him where he could stick his broom, as I had original planned to do when quitting...

Never burn bridges.

• Like 4
Why do you want to wait until he terminates you? Why not plan to give your letter of resignation when you see him?

Good point...although he may not be eligible for UI if he quits. My husband did just that when he knew he was going to be fired and wasn't eligible to collect benefits because he technically quit. I got UI for quitting once...had to go through an appeals process which took months, but I also had 3 weeks of no work before quitting, so they technically had laid me off. Depending on the reason he gets fired, me may be eligible for UI if it's not gross misconduct or anything.

• Like 2
Good point...although he may not be eligible for UI if he quits. My husband did just that when he knew he was going to be fired and wasn't eligible to collect benefits because he technically quit. I got UI for quitting once...had to go through an appeals process which took months, but I also had 3 weeks of no work before quitting, so they technically had laid me off. Depending on the reason he gets fired, me may be eligible for UI if it's not gross misconduct or anything.

It actually varies by state. In GA, for example, you can quit and still be eligible for UI/partial UI, depending on the reason why you quit. Same for termination, based on the reasons why you were termed will depend on whether or not you get UI.

If the employer challenges the UI, submits evidence that policy was broken and/or progressive discipline was done, you would not receive UI. Of course it varies by state, UI rep, etc. As the employer, you realize within the first couple minutes of the hearing you don't stand a snowball's chance to win the claim.

It actually varies by state. In GA, for example, you can quit and still be eligible for UI/partial UI, depending on the reason why you quit. Same for termination, based on the reasons why you were termed will depend on whether or not you get UI.

If the employer challenges the UI, submits evidence that policy was broken and/or progressive discipline was done, you would not receive UI. Of course it varies by state, UI rep, etc. As the employer, you realize within the first couple minutes of the hearing you don't stand a snowball's chance to win the claim.

Sounds like it is the same way in CA. You can get UI if you quit, but it's more difficult. My employer made it easy, because they terminated me before the end of my two week notice without my knowing without good cause. (I quit because I also had no hours for 3 weeks). I should point out though that my husband couldn't claim benefits from an employer who was going to fire him, because he quit. The reason they were planning to fire him was because he wasn't working fast enough, so it wasn't misconduct, but because he technically quit....he was disqualified from benefits. So I wouldn't suggest anyone to say they quit before getting fired unless you have very good reasoning and you'll most likely have to appeal the decision if the employer fights you on it. Took me several months before I saw any UI checks after going through the appeals process and winning.

what if you were not employed long enough at the place you were discharged from and tried to reopen a old claim?

Did you exhaust benefits of the old claim? If so I believe you need to have 5 months of employment before opening another claim. However, if you didn't use up benefits under the old claim, you should be able to get the remainder of that claim (claims are open for a year) and then once that claim is exhausted, they may open up a new claim for you if you're still on UI, but you may not get as much $ depending on how long you were at your most recent job.

Edited by pink_sugar
Why do you want to wait until he terminates you? Why not plan to give your letter of resignation when you see him?

It might be better to be terminated rather than quit- for unemployment benefits.

I walked out on a job that caused me so much stress my hair was falling out. I couldn't collect unemployment because I quit.

Don't worry about it PS, there will be other opportunities.

• Like 1
what if you were not employed long enough at the place you were discharged from and tried to reopen a old claim?

If your employer has not paid enough UI taxes to cover a UI claim from you as there aren't enough hours there. So your claim would actually go to your employer prior to your current one.

Regardless, file with the unemployment commission. Where the monies are coming from really doesn't need to be your concern. Start the process.

Just some FYI about changes with employers and unemployment:

Unemployment Insurance Integrity Act (Act) as part of the Trade Adjustment Assistance Extension Act of 2011 (TAAEA).

Specifically, the Act provides that states' implementing statutes must "require" employers and their agents to timely and adequately respond to a state UI agency's request for information regarding at least the initial UI claim. Generally, if either an employer or its agent establishes a pattern of failing to timely or adequately respond, the employer's UI account will be charged for the UI benefits even if it is subsequently determined that the claimant was ineligible for UI benefits. There are also potential civil and criminal penalties that can be applied. States are required to adopt implementing laws to be effective on or before October 21, 2013. As of October 1, all but four – Georgia, Michigan, Missouri and Vermont – have so acted.

Historically, many employers, particularly those already paying UI taxes at the maximum rate, have not routinely responded to UI agency Claim notices ("Notices") and simply accepted their reserve account charges as a cost of doing business when former employees apply for UI benefits. Under the Act, rigorous new state provisions are likely to change the way many employers process UI Notices because both employers and their agents are subject to an array of penalties for being "unresponsive" or for inadequately responding to Notices.

A failure to adopt laws implementing the Act by October 21, 2013 will impact employers' ability to receive full state UI credit against FUTA taxes. As to the four tardy states: (1) Vermont appears to have a pre-existing law that may qualify as conforming with the requirements of the Act; (2) Georgia has not finalized its law and regulations; (3) Michigan's legislation is still pending; and (4) Missouri's enabling bill was vetoed.

Edited by Got it

I don't think it matters if they are no longer in business, if you were w-2ed, the unemployment department should still pull it up under your employment record. Be sure to put down your most recent employer when opening the new claim, even if you cannot collect benefits from them. Failure to do so might disqualify you from benefits. Happened to my husband. He was at a job for 5 weeks and even though he wasn't able to collect unemployment from them, he was still required to put it down. For unemployment you have to list all jobs in the past 18 months, no matter how little the time.

My first job out of high school I knew wasn't going well. I had a feeling I would be fired after a month. But I kept showing up day after day and doing the best I could; taking the same verbal abuse/blame the OP mentioned. Then, I was fired when the supervisor wasn't swamped (and had time to hire someone else). I could've quit weeks earlier during the busy peak season. But they waited until the slow down to fire me. Still thinking about today it makes me feel used, and this happened many years ago.

I reported my weekly unemployment just to make sure I was included in the jobless statistics to let the politicians know people were looking for work. I received eleven hundred dollars in UI benefits before getting another job. I haven't touched a dollar of that money. It still today sits in the auto-deposit state bank account. I consider that money tainted and refuse to touch it after all these years. They charge a $3 fee each month; I don't care. The money represents that I sold out my pride for an employer. Never again will I be used by a company like that. Dignity is far higher on my list than money now. Someday, I'll just give that eleven hundred dollars away to a worthy charity to do some good with it.

My first job out of high school I knew wasn't going well. I had a feeling I would be fired after a month. But I kept showing up day after day and doing the best I could; taking the same verbal abuse/blame the OP mentioned. Then, I was fired when the supervisor wasn't swamped (and had time to hire someone else). I could've quit weeks earlier during the busy peak season. But they waited until the slow down to fire me. Still thinking about today it makes me feel used, and this happened many years ago.

I reported my weekly unemployment just to make sure I was included in the jobless statistics to let the politicians know people were looking for work. I received eleven hundred dollars in UI benefits before getting another job. I haven't touched a dollar of that money. It still today sits in the auto-deposit state bank account. I consider that money tainted and refuse to touch it after all these years. They charge a $3 fee each month; I don't care. The money represents that I sold out my pride for an employer. Never again will I be used by a company like that. Dignity is far higher on my list than money now. Someday, I'll just give that eleven hundred dollars away to a worthy charity to do some good with it.

My brother won't accept unemployment due to pride. Let me tell you that if you are ever faced with being homeless or not having food on the table for your kids, that $1100 will come in handy pretty quick. I understand not hurting your pride is important, but there are times when you'll need to swallow it. Be glad you've never been in that situation.

Never burn bridges.

This has been my philosophy in life. Unless the person/employer has been a real jerk, evil, don't burn bridges.

It's paid off greatly for me in all I do.

Good luck.

T - why don't you start seeking new employment even while you wait? Get with a recruiter that works in the security field or in a field you would like. Start looking at CareerBuilder and Monster for positions and start working your LinkedIn page.

What do you want to do? How about retail, hospitality or food? Look at some of the hotels in your area and seek out a job at the front desk or security with them.

Get that resume updated and start being proactive! There are lots of jobs out there if you start looking! I used to jump around a good bit when I was younger and always was able to have a step up in positions. You never know, you may fall into your future career. :D

While I don't think that is a guarantee of anything, if you had a good reputation there then the recognition would be very good. Networking is a big part of career mobility so her remembering you is a positive sign. :)

But don't put all your eggs in one basket, keep putting your resume out there and keep going on interviews! :)

You are probably correct and it is probably a really good sign. I am just really a big believer of Murphy's Law so I don't want to assume something as it then is guaranteed not to happen. :laugh:

It's like dating, and you want to be the popular cheerleader with many offers for Friday night and you are choosing the lucky guy. :laugh:

Of course if there are more people working there, when you see the boss, I suppose an alternative could be to loudly say that you quit, cause you know about his criminal record, and you just can't work a for a registered sex offender anymore, now that you'll be a father yourself soon!

So the childish approach is the best option? I'm sure the other employees won't see right through that.

I gave a previous job a week's notice and I'm sure they put me on the non-rehire list as they threatened they would do that. Also gave me some lip about how other companies wouldn't tolerate this. Lady, ever heard of at-will employment? I owe you nothing, especially if the company has treated me horribly. Be glad I gave any notice at all.

Noise Electric

@Critically: I needed so badly to laugh today - you're awesome.

@T3930: That sucks, kiddo. I really hope you find something else soon. Best of luck to you.