Getting laid off due to lack of work

Looks like I will be getting laid off due to lack of work. My projects are ending soon and I haven't been given anything else. I got about a month 1/2's work that I've tucked away so I have something productive to put on my time-sheets instead of sitting there floundering like a fish per say. My co-worker on the other hand has 10 projects she is working on. She works 13 hours a day now, is extremely stressed and looks terrible. I cannot not believe they would do this to this poor lady. She is 57 and was hospitalized three years because of work related stress from the same job. I have offered to help her because I feel so bad for her. Today, my boss came over and was talking about all the work we have. He said I needed to train another lady not the overworked one so she could see what we do. Yeah, does he really think I'm stupid? Why in the world do employers need to humiliate you like this instead of letting you go? During the conversation I started talking about all the work that I would be doing throughout the fall and winter to see if I could make him uncomfortable but this guy was a cool as a cucumber. Any thoughts how get through all this game playing? I am currently looking for work. Hopefully I'll have an offer and a severance at the same time.

I'm sorry and best of outcomes on the job search.

May you end up in a better atmosphere.

Many will advise you to fly under the radar. Others will say become the go to person. Hang on as long as possible or until the offer to fly away is large enough.

Talk about unfair to the other worker. It doesn't sound like lack of work when one of you has a huge workload. Is there something else going on? My boss started doing something similar when I gave notice last week. He told my coworker about the candidates he was interviewing that were coming in...not a word about it to me...even though I am the front desk and phone answering person. I mean, I'm not an idiot, I can figure out what he's doing. Although a few days later, he decided to hold off on hiring until after the holiday season. Looks like my coworkers will end up with my workload....

Edited by pink_sugar

It's always possible that the woman with the big workload is more capable than Lamplight, or that Lamplight has an issue that makes him less desirable.