Salary: How would you feel if you got the same pay as someone inexperienced?

nomadic_butterfly

Ok so here's the deal. We all know this economy sucks and save for certain fields, unless one is mid to senior level in his/her career, it can be really difficult to find a decent paying job.

So I found a job that is ultimately a stepping stone as my dreams jobs required the kind of experience I am now getting. My company would barely budget to negotiate salary. I ended up accepting the lowest range in the salary range despite having a little under two years experience. I have immense student loans and I have no one but myself and the creator to help me. I also only had a few hundred bucks in my account. (I am in my mid 20s, finished grad school a year ago and have 70k debt) They did however offer full benefits.

Fast forward only 3 months later; I got a 5% raise which is what I asked for initially b/c I worked hard and well. One thing I find weird is no one on my team has ANY experience prior to working at my company in my field (marketing). One of the managers was working retail and was promoted after a little over a year into things as a manager.

I found out that other people WITH NO EXPERIENCE made the same as I started with despite me having experience. I am just confused about this. Another thing is most of my company knows each other and grew up with each other. Another one of my teammates who was with the company for a year, first in another department, then a few months in mine got a raise higher than my 5% bump. Her sister is close friends with the head of my department. A lot of this goes on.

Maybe I am being silly but I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work? I mean end of year is coming so I don't know what my next raise will look like but it makes me a bit uneasy that people with absolutely no formal training/experience make as much if not greater than I. They are smart people and they work hard so I am not discrediting them; I even take on extra products and look for ways to improve the company. I am a very very hard worker and take pride in what I do.

Any input for HR/Hiring manager/anyone?

Don't confuse experience with position.

I too earn 'less than I should' but as much as others in my field.

And some people have less experience than I, but others have more than I.....

It's probably a company-set level, and people get paid this much at this level, 'because'.

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would focus on your goals. You said you have a lot of student debt, and you consider this job a stepping stone, so I would put a few more months in, then start the search for something better. While you are there, take advantage of any classes, certifications, etc you can take that will enhance your resume.

• Like 3

I'm in a similar situation. Been at my company for a year and a half. One year ago I took on a position that is 20 times the responsibility of my no brainer starting position. I also have mandatory 10-12 hour days DAILY. I still make just as much as the people that are on call and have only been hired for less than a month. The excuses I get are such cop outs. " its not in the budget to increase your pay ". My ass it isn't.

• Author
nomadic_butterfly

Wow, that sucks. I need to stick this out regardless though; I usually work places for 1 yr so I don't want to look like a job hopper. I'm aiming for 1 1/2 yrs so it looks like I am stable. However the creative fields are usually a lot more forgiving when it comes to this. If I see a dream job a year into this though I am gone!

I'm in a similar situation. Been at my company for a year and a half. One year ago I took on a position that is 20 times the responsibility of my no brainer starting position. I also have mandatory 10-12 hour days DAILY. I still make just as much as the people that are on call and have only been hired for less than a month. The excuses I get are such cop outs. " its not in the budget to increase your pay ". My ass it isn't.

I've been at my company for 2 years on the same low-paying salary and myself and my coworkers all get paid the same. We've also never gotten one raise. I recently got another job offer and am out of there in a week. I too just finished school and know without a doubt that I will need an income to help me pay back loans and pay for a living. It seems like you have a good level of experience that should get you a fairly decent paying job. I'm not saying a great paying one, but a livable wage that will allow you to save a little. Keep your options open and when a better opportunity comes up, don't hesitate to take it!

• Like 1
HokeyReligions

This is why salaries should stay confidential. I negotiate my salary. If I am satisfied with my salary I don't give a rats behind what others make. I've seen people fired for discussing salary. And I've given verbal warnings to contractors recently because they were discussing pay rates.

Stay out of it.

• Like 3
  • Author
nomadic_butterfly
This is why salaries should stay confidential. I negotiate my salary. If I am satisfied with my salary I don't give a rats behind what others make. I've seen people fired for discussing salary. And I've given verbal warnings to contractors recently because they were discussing pay rates.

Stay out of it.

Chill out. You are making it seem like I am an idiot without the common sense to NOT go to HR/my boss kicking screaming about why my constituents are making more.

I accepted my offer so that's what it is. I was just curious how this worked cause at my previous jobs no one else discussed this with me. I will say my boss is pretty fair as far as increases when you deserve it and I am taking on more complex projects on my own to improve processes and systems and I had a very good evaluation and the CEO and CRO really like my work. I will also be doing some of my extra projects that I proposed for our largest clients soon. That and my experience/skills and value I am adding to the company warrants a good raise.

Stay out of it.

The verbal warning is groundless, and you have no right to give it.

If people want to discuss their personal issues - including salaries, then that's their business.

It may be foolish, inadvisable or reckless, but it's not a disciplinary matter...

Unless, of course, it's a pre-existent clause in their contract; otherwise, the verbal warning may be construed as harassment and verbal bullying.

Been there, done that, brought the complaint, upheld.

• Like 2
  • Author
nomadic_butterfly

It's not like I ASKED my team members volunteered this info all on their own. I didn't even tell them what I make and yet they were yapping away. If I told anyone what I make, it was only AFTER they told me about themselves and I never griped or complained even then because I am not an idiot and I have emotional and social intelligence. I am happy with all other aspects of the company in general.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys! Am going to stay long enough to where I have three solid years of experience so I can definitely be a manager at my next job (though in a year I am confident of a promotion here) and after I've received at least two more raises to have better leverage for my next job :)

If you're willing to work for that wage, that's what they'll pay. If you're willing to quit over it, then they have a choice - pay you more, or lose your services. If you're as valuable as you say you are, they will pay up.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

I cant speak for your situation, but as an employer for many years, a lot of what goes into deciding on a salary isnt about experience. Perhaps it should be, but it doesnt always work out that way.

Sometimes a company is desperately in need of filling a certain position, so rather than wait for an accomplished person for the position, they wind up "overpaying" based on sheer need. Other times its simply that the person with less experience has more "upside potential" than the one with more experience. There are other factors, but thats just to name a few.

I can see clearly how that might cause some strife and resentment on the part of the more experienced individual..Then again, you can take it up with your supervisor or HR rep, or in an extreme case, resign. So technically you arent trapped..

I wish you well...

TFY

• Like 1

So many factors go into compensation rates.

If your employer believes you're using this job as a stepping stone, there is not a big incentive to pay you more. Too many people believe they are entitled to make a lot of money when their skills and/or experience doesn't support it.

You might make the same as your counterparts to maintain internal equity.

I have a unique skill set and a lot of experience. I'm not irreplaceable but I do the work it would ordinarily take the expertise of three people. That makes me marketable, eager to be retained, and highly compensated.

My advice... Work your ass off and prove your value. That gets more money.

• Like 1
  • Author
nomadic_butterfly

Thanks! This was very helpful to know. Person A came along after the transfer when they really needed help so that makes sense. Person B. came in my department recently after they closed her underperforming department.

I think my manager saw me put my money where my mouth was which is why I got the 5% raise within three months. Most people had to wait much longer, some almost a year or if they got promoted so I am fortunate.

I really want to own my own businesses in the long run so I try to go well beyond my job description and tackle projects that will not only help the company but help me to see first hand how to run a successful company. My job can get monotonous at times as a lot of things don't require as much critical thinking as I would like and I am the kind of girl that loves challenges and problem solving. Anyway we'll see how it goes :)

I cant speak for your situation, but as an employer for many years, a lot of what goes into deciding on a salary isnt about experience. Perhaps it should be, but it doesnt always work out that way.

Sometimes a company is desperately in need of filling a certain position, so rather than wait for an accomplished person for the position, they wind up "overpaying" based on sheer need. Other times its simply that the person with less experience has more "upside potential" than the one with more experience. There are other factors, but thats just to name a few.

I can see clearly how that might cause some strife and resentment on the part of the more experienced individual..Then again, you can take it up with your supervisor or HR rep, or in an extreme case, resign. So technically you arent trapped..

I wish you well...

TFY

One thing I learnt, in earning responsibility through promotion:

Never expect any person 'under' you, to do a job you'd refuse or be incapable of doing.

When you have responsibility, and staff under you, you have to work a lot harder than they do, and show it.

Just for when you eventually own your own....

;)

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear
Thanks! This was very helpful to know. Person A came along after the transfer when they really needed help so that makes sense. Person B. came in my department recently after they closed her underperforming department.

I think my manager saw me put my money where my mouth was which is why I got the 5% raise within three months. Most people had to wait much longer, some almost a year or if they got promoted so I am fortunate.

I really want to own my own businesses in the long run so I try to go well beyond my job description and tackle projects that will not only help the company but help me to see first hand how to run a successful company. My job can get monotonous at times as a lot of things don't require as much critical thinking as I would like and I am the kind of girl that loves challenges and problem solving. Anyway we'll see how it goes :)

Good for you!!

I have to admit..One of the main reasons I have been self employed(27 years now), is that I never have to rely on office politics and all that other shyt. Id never be able to deal with that garbage..I dont want that type of control over me.. I can sink or swim on my own merits. Its hard as hell at times, you work tirelessly and everything falls on your shoulders, but I wouldnt ever change anything.

Its Sunday, and its a beautiful day, but I am here at the office setting stuff up for tomorrow because we are swamped with work..Id rather be out screwing around or watching some football. Eh..Ill squeeze it in, its still early..

Go for it...You wont be disappointed.

TFY

• Like 2
HokeyReligions
The verbal warning is groundless, and you have no right to give it.

If people want to discuss their personal issues - including salaries, then that's their business.

It may be foolish, inadvisable or reckless, but it's not a disciplinary matter...

Unless, of course, it's a pre-existent clause in their contract; otherwise, the verbal warning may be construed as harassment and verbal bullying.

Been there, done that, brought the complaint, upheld.

I have every right to give it. Maybe the hr policies at your company allow salary discussions but mine do not. I will not tolerate it especially if it impacts productivity. Contractors must abide by the terms of our policy. If contractors are discussing their rates I warned them verbally. If they claim the policy of their respective employers has no such provision I will terminate them and inform my hr and my hr will inform theirs. I'm within my rights. If a direct hire discusses salary and I catch them they are terminated immediately. Same would go for me if I discuss it.

Based on the first post the OP is upset about the differing salaries. It has already effected her perception of her working environment. Salary conversations happen everywhere that's why there are policies addressing it. Sounds like shes already involved.

As I stated, if it's a written, pre-agreed policy, and they are aware of it or have signed an agreement, you're within your rights, of course you are.

If however, there is no such clause (and I'm speaking generally, now), then it's normally accepted that such discussions, while insensitive and indeed, inadvisable, cannot be prevented.

A verbal warning is the first step in a disciplinary process; having once taken that first step, you cannot then immediately terminate a contractor without going through the process of disciplinary proceedings, unless they are knowingly and deliberately in clear breach, or guilty of Gross misconduct.

Just watch your back, is all I'm saying. No confrontation intended, but H is an employment lawyer..... ;)

• Like 1

Never expect any person 'under' you, to do a job you'd refuse or be incapable of doing.

When you have responsibility, and staff under you, you have to work a lot harder than they do, and show it.

Just for when you eventually own your own....

;)

Oh man, I have had bosses like this a few times now and let me say it has looked bad on them. I had a boss that was on the same level as me at one point that made it clear she did not care about her work. She was only promoted because she was the only one in the department with full time availability. They could have easily hired many qualified individuals from other stores or outside the workplace.

I actually used to discuss salary at a few jobs, back when I didn't realize you could be fired for it. Unfortunately, you cannot control individuals from going outside the workplace to discuss salaries. That's why I honestly believe in paying people as fairly as possible.

• Like 1

Stay out of it.

Correction, that's a benefit to you as an employer that salaries stay confidential, so you(as an employer, not you personally) can pay one person a market rate salary and another person a below market rate salary because they were willing to accept less.

Lets not pretend like discussing salaries is unethical, or inherently toxic. What is toxic is one person getting paid below market rate and then discovering that this is the case.

I'll bet the application that whoever you work for asks for current salary, which shows that this rule can not really be taken seriously beyond you will be disciplined if you do not follow it. Which is the only reason it should be followed, all the other reasons given about morale etc etc are smoke and mirrors.

Edited by BUENG1
  • Like 2
As I stated, if it's a written, pre-agreed policy, and they are aware of it or have signed an agreement, you're within your rights, of course you are.

If however, there is no such clause (and I'm speaking generally, now), then it's normally accepted that such discussions, while insensitive and indeed, inadvisable, cannot be prevented.

A verbal warning is the first step in a disciplinary process; having once taken that first step, you cannot then immediately terminate a contractor without going through the process of disciplinary proceedings, unless they are knowingly and deliberately in clear breach, or guilty of Gross misconduct.

Just watch your back, is all I'm saying. No confrontation intended, but H is an employment lawyer..... ;)

That's not how it works in the US.

• Author
nomadic_butterfly

;)

Amen!! The one manager I didn't like (and I hardly ever "not like" people) was extremely incompetent. I figured this out quickly when he'd overreact to real frivolous things like when he first started and I would schedule meetings as usual with cross-functional teams. He would get angry at me and say why didn't I ask for permission for EVERYTHING. He was only my temp manager thank God. If it weren't for emotional intelligence I would be a whistleblower because he deserved it. Long story short I left London and came back to the states and he got fired.

I mean whenever the CEO and other department heads would question him, he would waffle through and never give a coherent answer. Then just when I thought I was the only one who realized he was awful, other co-workers/department heads began to whisper. I didn't learn anything from him except it pays to know the right people. He was the Head of Marketing only b/c the CEO was good friends with his former boss who recommended him. No one ever asked to see his previous work and he was extremely insecure and tried to micro-manage to mask his inadequate and non-existent marketing and managerial skills.

Well it should, dammit! I mean, after all.... we were here first!!

(Yes, that WAS a joke......;) )

Actually yes it is. Seven of my former co workers can attest to the State Labor case they won on this very scenario. We are a USA business that abides for the most part on federal labor laws...someone fell asleep at the wheel though when they created a policy that violated the co workers labor rights :)

the seven resigned after the case and I am soo happy for them! They deserved better and went and found it .