Informational Interview and Company Tour with Fortune 500-how to prepare (!!)

I understand the basic preparation advice like do your research on the company, look polished, LinkedIn stalk the person, etc. That's the kind of advice I give my brother who is 16. I want some advice that's geared towards recent or soon-to-be college graduates who have a good head on their shoulders and didn't spend all of it being drunk and skipping class.

While I generally feel pretty confident with myself, I am still feeling a slight bit of intimidation/nervousness of this upcoming informational interview and HQ tour with a Fortune 500 company. I know the objective of an informational interview is not to get a job, but to learn about the industry, the person's job, and see if I like either or. I plan to do exactly this. However, I and the two other women I will be meeting with both know intuitively that if it seems like a good fit for both parties it could end in a job offer.

With this in mind, how do I go into this and set the stage and mood for this to land in a job offer? I don't graduate until May, so I know they won't offer anything until closer to that date, but how I present myself now will have a big impact on future opportunities with this company.

Will I be more likely to succeed if I prepare immensely but go into it with a calm, friendly vibe (ie: as though this isn't a huge deal)?

didn't spend all of it being drunk and skipping class.

All that matters is GPA, professional recommendations can help, because if you had insider connections you wouldn't be worried.

Is this an open cattle call event? Who reps this company to your OCI?

What's your degree?

• Author
All that matters is GPA, professional recommendations can help, because if you had insider connections you wouldn't be worried.

Is this an open cattle call event? Who reps this company to your OCI?

What's your degree?

I really appreciate your sarcastic input.

Getting an interview is a competitive game. Time for you to realize that students in top programs drink and skip class. They still have high GPAs, internships and connections.

You've worked hard, you've done well, you want the best job you can get.

That being said, you are then aware that many Fortune 500s hire in groups for training sessions. You'll be in a peer group, hopefully to survive that competition. I'm sure you'll do well.

Again, what degree?

• Author
Getting an interview is a competitive game. Time for you to realize that students in top programs drink and skip class. They still have high GPAs, internships and connections.

You've worked hard, you've done well, you want the best job you can get.

That being said, you are then aware that many Fortune 500s hire in groups for training sessions. You'll be in a peer group, hopefully to survive that competition. I'm sure you'll do well.

Again, what degree?

I am well aware of the competition- I think you're fixating on that "drink and skip class" comment too much and other things that don't address my question: how should I present myself and strategically use this 1 hour or so that I have to put me in a position to snag a job either on the spot, or shortly down the road? I'm meeting with someone who is either in the job I want, or who hires for the job I want so I need to make an outstanding impression (while not appearing like a desperate job seeker).

I have inside connections to this company, or I wouldn't be having this individual tour and information session with a representative.

Sounds to me that you've got a job. Inside connections guarantee an offer. The only person that's important to meet with is the one you'd most like to report to.

Not sure what your desperate to get a job comment is about. New grad, inside connections, why the comment??

Usually inside connections means a couple of introductions and an employee directed to take your "tour" as a report back to me assignment.

• Author
Inside connections guarantee an offer.

But do they really since you still have to go through the interview process and what not?

That's the thing, it is a competitive game and although it gives you a leg up, having connections still doesn't seem to guarantee you'll have a job offer. (Hence why I'm asking the bold above).

Or am I completely wrong and naive? I'd like to get some advice by tomorrow because the big day is on Monday.