Work is making me sick!

Angeleyez2583

I wish I was lying, but I'm not. Everyday, it makes me more and more depressed. Today I broke down crying four times while being there. When I got home, I started thinking about my place of employment, and threw up to the point of dry heaving.

I am in a union, and my place of employment is a good old boys club. I am the kind of individual who is very driven, and wants a career. I want to make a big difference at my company. I am very intelligent, and I am a very hard worker. (I've been told by numerous individuals I am spoken very highly of.) My supervisor loves me because I make him look really good.

For the past seven years, I have been trying time after time to better myself and get a non union job so I can move up the cooperate ladder. I've learned it is almost impossible to do at my company. I get interviews, but never get the position in the end. Usually the company knows who they want in that position, and it feels like I am being used to fill the required interviewee spots for the position. Worst of all, they NEVER want me! This has happened to me eight times now.

Here are some examples. I applied for a supervisor position. I had four years experience in the company, and experience working with that department. I even have some supervisor experience outside of my company. The position ended up going to the old supervisor's friend, an insurance salesman, with no relevant experience for this position.

The time after that, I was the most qualified candidate for a quality supervisor position. I had over five years experience in the quality department, have almost two college degrees, have been at the company for six years, etc. The person who ended up getting that position had no college (one of the job requirements) , only had 3 years at the company, and no supervisor experience or experience in the quality department.

The last example I have is a slap in my face. I applied for a position. Did not get interview (I once again was very qualified) and was given to a woman who did not want the position. She was forced to take it.

When I ask why I am not getting the positions I get the "I don't know. You interviewed very well. The person had more experience than you did".

How am I supposed to improve myself if no one informs me what I need to do?

This has been going on for the past seven years!

I've never failed at something so much, or wanted something so badly! Being rejected time and time again really takes a toll on a person. I now on anxiety medication, had my depression medication upped, and still feel terrible inside.

I can't quit because I am the sole supporter of my family.

I am so burned out from my job! The crying just started to get worse. No one knows I cry because I make sure no one sees me. I'm on the point of a nervous break down.

I've even gotten career advice from multiple HR personnel, managers, the plant manager and even recently the president and CEO of our company.

All I want is to do good things for my company, what can I do, or what am I doing wrong?

I constantly feel like a huge failure, and now I'm getting physically sick on top of mentally from it!

I know it seems obvious and dumb, but you really should leave the place. It sounds awful and it sounds like it'll never change, so no matter how hard you work you'll be in the same place you started, never moving up.

What you need to do it look for a job elsewhere!

You say you can't quit, but you can. Just find another job and quit that one! There is no point in staying somewhere that makes you miserable and where you can never grow.

UpwardForward

Be happy you have a job. If you don't like the circumstances within the company, seek other employment. Or enhance your own position by going the extra mile, and ask for a raise.

You may not want to read this, but I worked for a company where a long time employee (my supervisor) kept seeking advancement with several new positions that would come up. They hired from outside before considering her. They just plain didn't like her. And frankly, she could barely handle her own job - as she was becoming forgetful.

Perhaps with you - you do such a good job, they don't want to refill your position. (But if you're crying, they will know it.)

• Like 1
Be happy you have a job. If you don't like the circumstances within the company, seek other employment. Or enhance your own position by going the extra mile, and ask for a raise.

You may not want to read this, but I worked for a company where a long time employee (my supervisor) kept seeking advancement with several new positions that would come up. They hired from outside before considering her. They just plain didn't like her. And frankly, she could barely handle her own job - as she was becoming forgetful.

Perhaps with you - you do such a good job, they don't want to refill your position. (But if you're crying, they will know it.)

People should not be happy they have a crappy job they bust their hump with no recognition ever.

UpwardForward
People should not be happy they have a crappy job they bust their hump with no recognition ever.

Isn't recognition supposed to be parent to child? OP appears to be unhappy because she is unable to be considered for advancement within the company. Nothing to cry about, just show your resume to other employers.

• Like 1
Isn't recognition supposed to be parent to child? OP appears to be unhappy because she is unable to be considered for advancement within the company. Nothing to cry about, just show your resume to other employers.

Since when was recognition limited to parenting? The world would be pretty bleak if this were the case!

In my opinion, it is definitely something to cry about. OP has worked with this company for years, and has had the career advancement carrot dangled in front of him for a long time. If my time were being wasted like this, I'd be pretty pissed off. If they had been upfront and told him that there were no opportunities to progress, I'm sure he'd have looked elsewhere long ago. He is being interviewed over and over, and people less qualified than him are getting positions. He keeps getting told he's doing well, but it is not paying off. Words are cheap, and don't pay $$.

OP - go elsewhere. Your health and happiness should always be your number one priority. You feel that you're undervalued at this company, so you need to find an organisation that recognises your capabilities and allows you to grow.

Edited by almond
She and her, not him and he - sorry OP!