Would you go forward with an interview if you are not 100% if you want the job?

Eternal Sunshine

It's a very good opportunity and will take me out of the current rut. Not to mention that the pay is very good and better than what I have now.

HOWEVER. Research is not exactly something I would be very interested in, although I am not disinterested. It's just not THE ideal job and I wonder if I can do better.

I am pretty desperate to get out of my current job.

Isn't it wrong to go to an interview when you are meh about the job?

P.S. I am just as picky with jobs as I am with men :(

todreaminblue

hey eternal, dont hang around much in thsi sub forum, but i read yoru name...lol.... as i dont work,so dotn have much to offer

i thought i might share this with you though,I think that you should wait for a job you passionately want, not only because shifting jobs then will be something you look forward to but because if you take a job you are meh about imagine being in that job for the next ten years...... then the job you really would be so happy in is the one you miss ......the job you are passionately in love with the idea of having

the interview might not go so well if you have just moved careers you look a bit flighty ...stay where you are and wait until you know that you cant let the job opportunity go...that's the one you take......but that's my opinion...goes good on your interview if they see you have stuck at a job and not going from one to the next.....deb

Yeah, I don't see why not! Interviews are for you to consider the job as much as for them to consider you. Take the chance to explore the opportunity :)

At the end of the day... even if it's not your dream job, it may be a good idea to take it. Sounds like it would improve your overall work situation, right? Besides, it's another thing you can put a checkmark next to, and say you've done it. It will round out your resume and make you more attractive to employers :)

-A

• Like 2
Philosoraptor

Never know what you might find out about the position by going on the interview. It may change your mind, it may make you even stronger in your belief that it's not the position for you. Either way, you've got nothing to lose except a couple hours of your day.

• Like 1

Absolutely okay. :)

After the interview, you may have a much better impression and decide it is for you. But you may also realize that what you have is better.

All you lose is some time.

• Like 1
It-is-what-it-is.

Yes...you can always say no if they offer it and you feel it isn't a good opportunity.

But sometimes these jobs we don't think we want are the best ones!

Consider that the interview process - for a valuable, confident candidate - is as much about the candidate interviewing the company as it is the converse. So be confident that you can go in, give your best impression (because you want to give yourself the chance to be offered this opportunity), but you can also be evaluating the company, the environment, and the position specifically, and then make a final decision once you have collected all that information - just like the company will do.

Other questions to consider: if you are "pretty desperate" to get out of your current job, is this one at least somewhat better than what you are trying to get away from? If you decided to wait for a 'more perfect' job, what's the market like in your area? What's the likelihood of another (better) job coming along in a given time period (a year? two years?) Could you imagine holding out at your current job until then? Might there be other positions at this new potential employer, where you could consider this job to be a stepping stone to more attractive opportunities?

• Like 2

I've never been 100% sure I was going to take the job at any interview. As others have mentioned, this is as much about you finding out about the job as them finding out about you. The only reason I would advise not going is if there is 0% chance you will take the job, because that's a waste of the company and interviewer's time. You never know what you might find out during the interview, or you may really like the people and that may sway you to take the job.

I've gone to interviews for this very reason. Even if I'm sure I'm not going to accept the job, I like to hear them out before making a final decision. Not bothering to hear them out will leave me wondering if I missed an opportunity. Like you, I'm stuck in a job I don't like. Almost anything is better at this point. Ask yourself if the research position will help you get where you need to go, even if it's not your dream job at the moment.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

Thanks for your advice guys.

I went to the interview and it was very clear to me that the job isn't for me. While the interview went well, I decided to tell them in the end. I just said that I don't feel like I am the right fit for the role and they thanked me for being upfront.

So the search continues.

Yes! Always keep your options open...interviewing for jobs regularly (even if you don't want the job) keeps your skills up & boosts your confidence...

Also, always be on the alert for networking opportunities and collecting information that could help you somehow down the road. By interviewing, you get to learn about another company in your industry, perhaps meet important, influential people, and get exposure for yourself. The value of all this probably depends on what industry you're in and the level you are working at, but always be collecting information, learning, meeting people, and making contacts.

It's a very good opportunity and will take me out of the current rut. Not to mention that the pay is very good and better than what I have now.

HOWEVER. Research is not exactly something I would be very interested in, although I am not disinterested. It's just not THE ideal job and I wonder if I can do better.

I am pretty desperate to get out of my current job.

Isn't it wrong to go to an interview when you are meh about the job?

P.S. I am just as picky with jobs as I am with men :(

I would go to the interview. Worst case you learn a little something about yourself, you work on your interviewing skills, you do some networking, etc.

• Like 1