Blamed for something I didn't do at work...

I am so upset right now. A really big boss at work tore a strip off of me today for something I didn't do. She came into my department and went off on me because a customer complained that I didn't help him. I was humiliated and embarrassed- getting berated in the middle of the store by a boss in front of my co-workers and customers.

I had just returned from break and was having a meeting with my co-workers about what needed to get done when a customer approached, and he was irate. He had apparently been waiting for help lifting something in another part of the store, had been told someone was coming to help him, but no one showed. I immediately got on the walkie and radioed for help for the guy.

That customer went to head management when he checked out and ranted and raved about having been kept waiting, and named me as refusing to help him. I guess he pointed me out to them and said I had been more interested in socializing than helping him. My god, I had been in a meeting- he approached with his rant, and I called for help for him right away. I had dropped what I was doing and immediately went to the walkie and got him his help.

This boss didn't even listen to my side of the story- she just went off on me because some angry customer told her I had refused to help him when I had helped him. I had even been pleasant to him despite the fact that he was so irate when he approached me.

I guess I am venting. I have been a good employee. I have never called in sick, I go above and beyond the call of duty, I take on extra work, I am running a department without the title or pay- and to have this happen just makes me lose faith in the company.

The boss that went off on me isn't a boss I normally deal with, she's a "big boss". The fact that she just went off on me without hearing my side of the story just makes me want to quit this company that I have been working so hard for.

Since it's a big company, multi-national IIRC, IMO document the experience as best as possible and move on. I'd focus specifically on your employee meeting, the customer interaction and the timeline of events, mainly for names and specific times, presuming your facility, like most I frequent, has video/audio coverage. That way, if any official action is taken, you'll have the basis for rebuttal and a labor action, should it come to that. I personally wouldn't pin staying or leaving on the acts and/or words of one person in one instance, presuming this is a career you wish to grow. Sleep on it and see how it goes. My sympathies. Your dilemma is part of why I've been self-employed for 28 years.

• Like 1

D- this "big boss" is extremely unprofessional on so many levels IMO of which I think is quite clear.

1) Not hearing your side of the story and 2) reprimanding you in front of associates and customers- unbelievable:rolleyes:

• Like 1