Our new sales manager is a jerk!!

My brother owns the engineering firm I work at. Recently we hired a new sales manager, ( His card says Applications Engineer to make him look good ). He's one of those guys that has to razz people all the time and he is very cocky....I'm a lot older than he is and I have been here a lot longer of course. My functions include paying all the bills, keeping track of all the incoming and outgoing monies, and I am also a real Application Engineer for the computer aided manufactoring software we sell and train on.

My brother hired him to take over what he normally does here at D3. Which means technically he would be over me. However, my brother treats everyone here as a team member and there never has been a, "Pecking order". Everyone is a valueable gear in the clock tower. This guy though thinks that he's going to ram rod everyone and that we should tremble in his presence.

How should I deal with him? I know that I won't lose my job unless I want to lose it. But I also don't want this guy to think he's going to be Mr. Dictator to us either. The other engineers here don't have to deal with him as much as I do although they also don't appreciate some of his remarks and his temper tantrums he has now and then.

Another thing is, I'm Christian, and so are the rest who work here. This guy parties all night every night and has all kinds of sexual relations and brings his experiences into the office and brags all the time about it. I normally just shake my head and walk away whenever he starts in. But should I try to take the office back? Should I put my foot down and approach him or my brother? Or is there some other way I can let him know that I won't be controlled by him or intimidated. Any help would be awesome....

Thanks

Moose

I'd probably have your brother say something to him about the partying, etc, let him know that broadcasting his exploits are making many people uncomfortable and could be construed as sexual harassment. Just make sure your brother names no names.

Regarding showing him that you won't be 'controlled by him', just take care of business. Keep emotion out of your dealings with him. If you don't respond the way he hopes to his hystrionics, hopefully he'll stop having tantrums.

If you all worked as a team before him, you could do it with him there. I'm thinking a form of mutiny; but you'd all have to be close and be willing to stand up to him.

I've been in situations where some SOB moron (literally stupid human) came in, threw weight around, and spoiled a fantastic team. Worst thing about that is that it ruins the quality of the work, and if your brother has any smarts, he won't let some new guy wreck a good thing.