Is it wrong to tell junior staff news before more senior staff?

I'm a manager at work, a few months ago we took on a new girl who has become friendly with a senior manager (he is effectively my boss, I am her boss). The other day he told me and the others at my level of some changes that are being put in place, I then told her and she seemed like she already knew. She tried to hide it but eventually said that he had told her (and just her) about it awhile ago when he'd first found out.

I don't understand why he'd do this and I think it's wrong that she works for me but knows more than I do. Do I have any grounds to complain about either of them? Is it normally against the rules to do stuff like this? I tried reading our company policies and can't find anything about it

It's not a problem right now but it will be one eventually if she gets advantages no other employee can get and I can see it going down that path.

It's best to find your senior manager's boss and let him know before it could get worse.

• Author

I thought about that but his boss is the boss and I can't really tell him unless i'm certain that he's done something wrong.

If I told him now I think it would sound quite petty and jealous but I don't know why he's telling her stuff.