New Job, New Co Workers

I just started a new job 6 weeks ago. Now coming into my 7th week. Doing a Traineeship. Everyone at my work seems really nice to me and everything. I have little chats to them in the morning and while they walk past me every now and then in the middle of the day. Still I don't feel as close to everyone as everyone else is with eachother in the work place. How do you get to that level with everyone if you are just new? I guess it takes time.

HokeyReligions

It does take time. Do you go out to lunch with different people? Are there any upcoming company events where you can get involved? I don't have the best memory and I when I've worked in a larger office I've kept a 'cheat sheet' thing where I would jot down whatever personal information different people shared with me. Joe has 3 kids, 1 daughter in college and 2 in highschool, yada yada yada----that kind of thing, and I would look it over when I talked with someone so that I could ask them about their family, etc. when we went out to lunch. Sounds kind of silly, but its easier for them to remember things about me then for me to remember things about 30 people at the same time! And, the more we talked and went to lunch etc. the more I actually got to know different people and not need the cheat sheet.

What do you do for a living? Are there any professional associations that others belong to that you could join? What about hobbies? I go out with some friends (from 2 or 3 jobs ago) to flea markets and art shows, etc. We started by going out once on a Saturday to a special art show that we'd been chatting about at work. I asked her if she wanted to go on Saturday and I offered to pick her up and drive.

It does just take time.

• Author

I am an Admin Officer/Clerical, Office work. Just a Trainee. That goes for a year. I think the job is pernament after the Traineship. Not totally sure though. There is a bit of an age gap as well with the people I work with most of the are in their 40s. That's twice my age. That doesn't stop me from having little chats to them but.

Lunch Time and Morning Tea I have other people relieving me when I go, Everyone goes at different times after 12pm and when they go out it's like they all have their own plans for lunch. I only get half an hour. Not really that long. Lunch doesn't bother me whether I eat it alone or not.

There is a Social Club I've been hearing about too. Might have a look at that.

'Morning Tea' - how cute! :) Yes, it takes time. Eventually you chat with someone in the hall or when you have to see them for something and you get to know each other bit by bit. I usually figure on a minimum of three months before you start getting acquainted.

Midnight Magic

I would give it time.

I too started in an office about 4 years ago and I was 20 years younger than all the rest, and I felt so awkward all the time, as I felt out of place.

But this feeling did not last that long.

After about three months, my co-workers had me feeling like I was part of the team.

I guess at first they did not want to get to know me, as they did not know how long I would be in the office.

Apparently they had hired young persons such as myself who had to be baby sat all day long, they would not

do anything that was not asked, so these people were replaced pretty quick.

But not me, I am a go getter. I want to do it all.

SO just be patient and give it time.

Soon you will fit in with the crowd.

Take it from one who has been there.