How can I bring up the subject of employability to my client?

I'm currently working for a client as a film volunteer where I basically create short promos of dancing sessions for their website.

So far I have produced two videos and the client wants me to produce more.

The thing is is that I have been looking for employment in filmmaking for almost a year now and, as far as my long term goals are concerned, have only been able to do volunteer work.

The client had mentioned payment before and I want to bring that up again. But I'm unsure on how to communicate it without giving a negative impression.

I was wondering what you think would be the most appropriate approach of bringing up this subject without risking losing this role? Thanks.

the client wants me to produce more.
"Oh sure, I'm more than happy to do more. Per clip, my going rate is $x."

That's when the fun begins. Negotiation or complete backpedaling, where they were only looking for freebies.

• Like 1

I'd just tell this person that I'm interested in starting a business (that it's to be for profit shouldn't have to be explained).

Tell 'em you've appreciated the opportunity to work with them and that it's helped you and you hoped it's been helpful for them too, and that you'd like to continue working with them. Then make a proposal. I think it should be straightforward. They're either interested or they're not. And if they're not, don't be offended. You could still use them as a point of contact, but you'll need to start working on looking for real business. As long as nobody else knocking on your door, then continue working with them. Keep improving your skills and keep a portfolio of your work to show to others. What matters is that, when others become interested in your work, you want to be able to show them that you're a quality producer.

I'd also suggest treating your work more like professional work. Treat yourself more like a professional. Get business cards ready. Get a website or other kinds of communication tools. Get social media and promote your services that way. Get noticed. Once you get the right break, you might be surprised at how quickly you become busy.