Finding another job while currently working

So, I've found it challenging to physically attend interviews due to my 9 to 5 type work schedule. I try the best I can to arrange interviews during my lunch hour, but I often have to tell my boss that I need to leave a little early (to drive to the interview). (He's unaware that it's for a potential job of course).If I am unable to go to the interview during my lunch hour, it means taking an hour or two additional off unpaid to get to an interview. It also doesn't help my husband and I are sharing one vehicle. When being called for an in-person interview prior to a phone interview, is it at all beneficial to request a phone interview if they are unable to work the interview around my work schedule? Fact is, I cannot afford to take too much time off of work or be too obvious and annoy my current employer. Thoughts?

Edited by pink_sugar

Unfortunately, that's kinda how it goes.

The last time I looked for a job, I was scheduling phone interviews at 8 am when there weren't many people in the office, and I even booked conference rooms for the lunch hour to have one or two phone interviews booked during the hour. There were days I had as many as 4-5 phone calls scheduled, and spent the whole day sneaking around. :laugh:

Most employers are understanding that if you are working, they may have to work with your schedule. But this only starts to happen when you have enough experience and/or skills to be highly valuable to them. Until then, it's an employer's market and they know it. They aren't very flexible for entry-level roles or internships :(

Basically, I don't have any good advice to give you :/ Gotta bite that bullet and do what you can.

• Author

You're always the first to respond to my posts, Arabella! :laugh:

Anyways, yeah. Most employers I've talked with are pretty interested I'd say. I have a fair amount of work experience that sets me aside from a lot of other college grads without experience looking for internships. I have nearly 2 years experience in my field as well as some other professional experience, but not directly related to my field.

Anyways, yeah. Most employers I've talked with are pretty interested I'd say.

If you are in discussion with them, then you can be upfront about the time constraints and request a series of phone interviews before meeting in person.

Make sure that they are seriously interested and want to take it to the next level and vice-versa.

Many employers are okay with this if they know you are currently employed and that taking time off is difficult. You can also request early morning and/or late afternoon interviews when you happen to have "doctor appointments." But I know you don't want to rely on having to take too many of those.

Work the phone interview process as much as possible until something very viable necessitates the next step of an in-person meeting that may require you taking time off from work.

• Like 1

I think the only way to find another job while working is through networking.

The type of networking where you are referred by someone and don't have to interview during business hours. It is very tough to find a job while working without looking suspicious.

If I had a prospective employee that showed promise, and had previous employers call me, I would schedule the prospect before and after work. Friends calling me about your qualifications means nothing. A letter to a prospective employee might make a difference. I would explain your present work schedule and how you will not comfortable lie to your present employer. Explain you have gone as far professionally as you can and that you are looking to advance in your career.

HokeyReligions

I'm doing that now too. I just sent out some resumes a few minutes ago. Because my job knows that my husband is recovering from a stroke they are OK with me being late or leaving early sometimes for doctors appointments. Also, because of my role I'm salary and they know that they will get more than 40 hours of work out of me each week no matter if I'm late or leave early!

If you feign a doctors appointment now and then will your employer allow you to make up the time? Do they demand a 'doctor's note' when you return to work? If you have an interview that really sounds promising, you might look into another 'excuse' to be late and ask if you can stay later to make up the time. Most employers understand that we have lives outside of the office and sometimes we have to take care of things.

I'm doing that with one of my contract employees. She always says she has some family thing, or meeting the AC guy 'cause her AC went out, or is taking her car in for maintenance, etc. but I know she's interviewing and she knows I know because I told her if she needs a reference, I'm happy to give her one. She lives awful far from the office and I don't blame her one bit for looking for something nearer her home.

The distance is one reason I'm looking for something else, although the office is scheduled to move to a new building that is about 10 minutes from home (vs. the hour I drive now) sometime in 2014 or early 2015, but the main reason is the benefits at this job suck and I need to find the best health insurance I can.

• Author

If you feign a doctors appointment now and then will your employer allow you to make up the time? Do they demand a 'doctor's note' when you return to work?

No, that's the thing. Any time I leave early, my boss gets all weird about making up the time lost. I cannot even take a half hour lunch in order to leave a half hour earlier. I can leave a half hour earlier, but he gets all weird about changing my schedule to make up the time. It's a control thing with him and even more reason I need to find another job. I also have no benefits, sick days or holiday payl

I

I'm doing that with one of my contract employees. She always says she has some family thing, or meeting the AC guy 'cause her AC went out, or is taking her car in for maintenance, etc. but I know she's interviewing and she knows I know because I told her if she needs a reference, I'm happy to give her one. She lives awful far from the office and I don't blame her one bit for looking for something nearer her home.

Oh wow, that makes me think of the time my boss randomly had a discussion with all of us about "making a good impression" on him in order to get a good reference for other jobs. That made me a bit nervous, because I never list him as a reference (not comfortable with knowing I am looking) but with how random that discussion was, he may be under the impression that I am looking. He even said at one time that discussion was towards me...I was even more weird-ed out by that.

TheFinalWord
So, I've found it challenging to physically attend interviews due to my 9 to 5 type work schedule. I try the best I can to arrange interviews during my lunch hour, but I often have to tell my boss that I need to leave a little early (to drive to the interview). (He's unaware that it's for a potential job of course).If I am unable to go to the interview during my lunch hour, it means taking an hour or two additional off unpaid to get to an interview. It also doesn't help my husband and I are sharing one vehicle. When being called for an in-person interview prior to a phone interview, is it at all beneficial to request a phone interview if they are unable to work the interview around my work schedule? Fact is, I cannot afford to take too much time off of work or be too obvious and annoy my current employer. Thoughts?

Hi Pink,

A phone interview is one approach, another approach might be to offer to conduct the interview through video conferencing software. I recommend Skype as it is free and easy to use. This way you can do it on your lunch break, and you will probably already be dressed professionally. If not you can slip on a suit jacket. With Skype they will be able to see you and be able to better gauge your mannerisms. This way, if they do not accept you to the second round (or you do not like them!) you are not wasting a lot of vacation time on dead end leads. Another advantage of Skype is that it demonstrates you have some technological proficiencies.

If you do the Skype approach, I would recommend to practice with a friend once or twice. Good luck!

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1

Whenever I've had to job hunt while currently working I've either done a lunch hour interview or scheduled it as early or late as possible. That way if I normally worked 8-5 I could ask my boss if I could do 7-4 or 9-6 to make a doctors appt at 4:30 or 8am. I also offered to do a 30 minute lunch instead of an hour to make up time if needed. This has worked well most places, but when it didn't I always laid the groundwork early with an elderly relative I care for. Meaning when someone asks about my personal life I'd casually mention I spend a lot of time with grandma or uncle or whomever and that they're getting up there in age and sometimes need help. This way if I needed to schedule an interview and there wasn't a lot of room for flexibility then that elderly relative suddenly had an emergency. This only works if its used as a once in a blue moon kind of thing, same with a flat tire heheeh.

Now there have been times I've worked for an employer that was completely inflexible about me adjusting my schedule period. So I explained my schedule challenges to potential employers, requested a full day off of work, and then scheduled several interviews for that entire day. I generally have to do that only once before I'm offered a job I agree to take.

I should also say that I too work jobs with no benefits and usually no sick/vacation/personal leave time. So if an employer won't let me make up the time then its just money lost. However searching for a better job is generally worth it in my opinion.

• Author
Whenever I've had to job hunt while currently working I've either done a lunch hour interview or scheduled it as early or late as possible. That way if I normally worked 8-5 I could ask my boss if I could do 7-4 or 9-6 to make a doctors appt at 4:30 or 8am. I also offered to do a 30 minute lunch instead of an hour to make up time if needed. This has worked well most places, but when it didn't I always laid the groundwork early with an elderly relative I care for. Meaning when someone asks about my personal life I'd casually mention I spend a lot of time with grandma or uncle or whomever and that they're getting up there in age and sometimes need help. This way if I needed to schedule an interview and there wasn't a lot of room for flexibility then that elderly relative suddenly had an emergency. This only works if its used as a once in a blue moon kind of thing, same with a flat tire heheeh.

Now there have been times I've worked for an employer that was completely inflexible about me adjusting my schedule period. So I explained my schedule challenges to potential employers, requested a full day off of work, and then scheduled several interviews for that entire day. I generally have to do that only once before I'm offered a job I agree to take.

I should also say that I too work jobs with no benefits and usually no sick/vacation/personal leave time. So if an employer won't let me make up the time then its just money lost. However searching for a better job is generally worth it in my opinion.

That's true, but unfortunately I cannot take too much time off due to financial difficulties we are experiencing at the moment, but if I happen to get multiple interviews in one day, it's worth taking the day off. Since I don't, it probably is best to explain the strict schedule confinements to possibly do a phone interview and then only take time off for only for an interview that is very serious and may lead into a job offer at the end.

That's true, but unfortunately I cannot take too much time off due to financial difficulties we are experiencing at the moment, but if I happen to get multiple interviews in one day, it's worth taking the day off. Since I don't, it probably is best to explain the strict schedule confinements to possibly do a phone interview and then only take time off for only for an interview that is very serious and may lead into a job offer at the end.

That makes perfect sense. Also as others have suggested you can always offer to do a virtual/skype interview. Ultimately I think many employers understand that the smart thing to do is look for a job when you already have one and that you can't just do whatever you like while currently employed.

• Author

Got a response for a job in the city which is about 45 minutes away...unfortunately the initial interview would require me rushing off from work and hoping to get there on time during rush hour traffic. Latest interview time is only an hour and 15 minutes after I get off of work. Would definitely not make it on time during rush hour traffic and time it takes to find parking. On-site only interviews. Oh well....next. I would only do it if I was fairly certain I'd get the job...not just a first interview.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
Got a response for a job in the city which is about 45 minutes away...unfortunately the initial interview would require me rushing off from work and hoping to get there on time during rush hour traffic. Latest interview time is only an hour and 15 minutes after I get off of work. Would definitely not make it on time during rush hour traffic and time it takes to find parking. On-site only interviews. Oh well....next. I would only do it if I was fairly certain I'd get the job...not just a first interview.

Sorry to hear that pink.

There is a saying "finding a full-time job is a full-time job within itself"...it's a similar paradox to the undergrad that cannot find that first job as the open positions require experience.

One aspect that I think is important is to keep in mind that during an interview, you are also interviewing them. To me, the fact that an organization will not be slightly flexible for the first interview, gives some insight into their organization. From my experience, interviewing and finding a job is very much like dating haha During the dating process you are initially attracted by something superficial (chemistry: salary) and during dating you are assessing long-term compatibility: ability to compromise, similar vision/mission, enjoyment, etc. Sometimes, on a first date (aka first interview) you get lucky and you see a red flag before exerting any effort. For example, the man may tell off a waiter or say something rude to you. You get lucky because people try to put up their best front at the beginning. Same with employers. Sometimes they will put up a good front and then when you take the job, they show their true selves, i.e. do not value you as a employee.

But in this case, to me, if you explain that you are currently working full-time and require flexibility for the first interview as it is difficult to take time off at work, and they are unwilling to work with you, to me that is a red flag. You are being honest about your circumstances. And if they had any sense they would see that such a statement shows that you respect your current employer. That's a positive trait. The fact they will not work with you (and trust me if they wanted to accommodate you they could) tells me you are better off without that job :) Bit of a ramble, but a good friend of mine is in a similar situation. I know this process can be daunting; perseverance is the key :bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author
Sorry to hear that pink.

There is a saying "finding a full-time job is a full-time job within itself"...it's a similar paradox to the undergrad that cannot find that first job as the open positions require experience.

One aspect that I think is important is to keep in mind that during an interview, you are also interviewing them. To me, the fact that an organization will not be slightly flexible for the first interview, gives some insight into their organization. From my experience, interviewing and finding a job is very much like dating haha During the dating process you are initially attracted by something superficial (chemistry: salary) and during dating you are assessing long-term compatibility: ability to compromise, similar vision/mission, enjoyment, etc. Sometimes, on a first date (aka first interview) you get lucky and you see a red flag before exerting any effort. For example, the man may tell off a waiter or say something rude to you. You get lucky because people try to put up their best front at the beginning. Same with employers. Sometimes they will put up a good front and then when you take the job, they show their true selves, i.e. do not value you as a employee.

But in this case, to me, if you explain that you are currently working full-time and require flexibility for the first interview as it is difficult to take time off at work, and they are unwilling to work with you, to me that is a red flag. You are being honest about your circumstances. And if they had any sense they would see that such a statement shows that you respect your current employer. That's a positive trait. The fact they will not work with you (and trust me if they wanted to accommodate you they could) tells me you are better off without that job :) Bit of a ramble, but a good friend of mine is in a similar situation. I know this process can be daunting; perseverance is the key :bunny:

I definitely agree. Thankfully I'll have 2 years of professional experience by the time I finish up college in September, but it is definitely hard when you have a job to be looking for another. Most of my experiences looking for another job have been while I'm unemployed. But yeah, the manager did not even seem to consider rush hour traffic when asking if I could make it there within an hour and fifteen minutes of leaving work.(Their last possible interviewing time) It can take 45-50 minutes to get to the city without traffic. Traffic and extra time to find the location...not to mention a place to park, will make it questionable if I could arrive to that interview on time or even be late to it. Last thing I'd want is to find that I'd wasted my time and gas for nothing.

• Like 1

Well said. I would also say that it shouldn't need to be heavily explained that one is currently working because the resume states that. Over the years I've had a few potential employers pretty much say "well either you come in at this time for an interview or you're out of the running" and I've just moved on. There are several reasons why a potential employer may be rushing or inflexible, but none of them are my problem. Both parties have to be flexible and understanding otherwise you aren't laying the groundwork for a positive working relationship.

I think this is also true when you accept a new job and they don't want you to put in 2 weeks (or whatever you've decided is appropriate) notice at your current employer. Why would a potential employer want an employee who doesn't care if things are left a mess in their wake? Consideration for others and professionalism should be important.

• Like 1
  • Author

I agree, I always like to give two weeks notice as a courtesy, unless the employer is treating me absolutely horribly and/or the other job is one of the companies that I have always dreamed of working at and don't want to miss out on, that needs someone asap These would be unusual circumstances though.

• Author

Job interview this Saturday. Was going to be Friday, but they gladly moved it to Saturday because I explained that I was working that day. The job is also a bit further, so the HR rep is coming meeting me closer at a cafe for the interview. :)

• Like 1
It-is-what-it-is.

I haven't interviewed for a while, but I have hired a bunch of folks. If they need a before or after work interview, I usually accommodate it. It shows good work ethic.

• Like 2
  • Author

An update. Had a great interview today, it was funny because we didn't find each other at first because we had no idea what one another looked like. Very relaxed and good spirited interviewer, put me at ease. The job and atmosphere sounds like it would be a great fit. HR manager is going to schedule me another meeting to meet with the company president next Saturday or the following. Unfortunately it's a 45 minute commute to meet at the branch where the president is....but worth it as it sounds like they are extremely interested, so it's worth it. Crossing my fingers...sounds like a good chance for me to get this job! :D Another big plus was the HR manager said she really understands and respects working schedules during the week, so she is more than willing to accommodate Saturday interviews. :)

• Like 5
TheFinalWord
An update. Had a great interview today, it was funny because we didn't find each other at first because we had no idea what one another looked like. Very relaxed and good spirited interviewer, put me at ease. The job and atmosphere sounds like it would be a great fit. HR manager is going to schedule me another meeting to meet with the company president next Saturday or the following. Unfortunately it's a 45 minute commute to meet at the branch where the president is....but worth it as it sounds like they are extremely interested, so it's worth it. Crossing my fingers...sounds like a good chance for me to get this job! :D Another big plus was the HR manager said she really understands and respects working schedules during the week, so she is more than willing to accommodate Saturday interviews. :)

Hoping for the best!! :bunny:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
BeckyFontenot

Have you considered working from home? One of my friends works as a customer service rep, although I can't remember the name of the company right off the top of my head. I can find out if you're interested.

• 4 weeks later...