What would you sacrifice for money?

Insights, especially from experienced professionals are greatly appreciated.

I was discussing with my friend about the possibility of getting a job in a remote area (still a city with ~10,000 people) but very different from the vibrant and young city that we come from.

I find the job quite appealing mostly from a financial perspective: a new graduate from my discipline can make ~ 100,000 bonuses included. After tax and everything, that's ~ 50,000 that we can take home.

He says that after graduation, we are going to be 22, and spending the nest 4 years here will be torture. early 20s is the time that people get to be careless and stupid. You can always make money but those years will never come back.

I was arguing that a lot of people have free time but will never get to do what they want to do because of financial limitations. And the pay difference in the city that we come from is quite significant. A good job might land a salary of 60,000 and up a bit for new grads.

Especially for people (like me) who are interested in investment / business, having some kind of starting money is essential. My only concern is that, 100,000 is a starting salary, and they will never pay you less unless they fire you. So if I stay for the money for 4 years, what will prevent me from staying forever? Honestly, I don't want to spend the rest of my life here.

• Like 1
pink_sugar

You may grow tired of the area. But it's very true most don't have a stable income until later in life. I am 24 and want to do a lot of travelling, but it will take a bit to be financially stable. By that time I will be entering 30's and I would like to do a lot of things before i have kids.

You're 22. Do it. Four years is nothing at your age.

Also, remote areas will have a lower cost of living than urban areas like cities so you'll be making that much more.

Assuming that your friend is a live-in partner, this partner might not be able to get a job in the same location which would then, if you're the bread winner, drain any financial advantages you might perceive.

Again assuming a non-platonic relationship, if your friend isn't a live-in partner, he/she might be concerned about losing you and not be interested in a long-distance relationship so they might be arguing against, for selfish reasons.

• Author
You're 22. Do it. Four years is nothing at your age.

Also, remote areas will have a lower cost of living than urban areas like cities so you'll be making that much more.

Assuming that your friend is a live-in partner, this partner might not be able to get a job in the same location which would then, if you're the bread winner, drain any financial advantages you might perceive.

Again assuming a non-platonic relationship, if your friend isn't a live-in partner, he/she might be concerned about losing you and not be interested in a long-distance relationship so they might be arguing against, for selfish reasons.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My friend and I are just friends =p. But he has always lived in the downtown part of the city so maybe that's why it's so unbearable for him.

My major concern is that these 4 years will reveal to be financially rewarding, but a complete waste of time/life. Wouldn't working in more dynamic environment give exposure to much opportunities? It's hard to know what industry people will end up working in, and I am just afraid that i will be missing out on good career options because I will be stuck working in a small city.

and honestly, everyone is here for the money. People are not always competent or passionate about what they do. They are very pleasant to be around with as people, but can be frustrating to work with as colleagues. The efficiency is just not there.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My friend and I are just friends =p. But he has always lived in the downtown part of the city so maybe that's why it's so unbearable for him.

Unless he's you, he can give opinion but the choice is yours.

My major concern is that these 4 years will reveal to be financially rewarding, but a complete waste of time/life.
How can life be wasted if you're accruing experiences and learning about what makes you tick, in order to avoid similar situations for the next 60 years? As you can see, four years is a drop in the hat when viewed relatively.

Wouldn't working in more dynamic environment give exposure to much opportunities? It's hard to know what industry people will end up working in, and I am just afraid that i will be missing out on good career options because I will be stuck working in a small city.
Unless you're signing a locked in term employment contract, what's to stop you from finding another job if you're seriously unhappy in the semi-rural environment?

and honestly, everyone is here for the money. People are not always competent or passionate about what they do. They are very pleasant to be around with as people, but can be frustrating to work with as colleagues. The efficiency is just not there.
Yes and no. The best jobs are ones where you enjoy what you're doing, sufficiently to immerse yourself into a flow state some or the majority of the time. This includes having a positive work environment, whatever your subjective perceptions of this might entail. This makes it a win/win since it becomes less about earning and more about enjoyment while earning.

Anyways, some thoughts for consideration.