Miss 1 day of work (internship)

Just wondering if anyone can give some advices to my current situation.

I am doing my internship at a company and it's my first professional experience. There is a bus that employees living far away from the work place take to get to work. It leaves quite early in the morning. I slept in and missed the bus today. I called my direct supervisor and he told me that it happens and I will have to work an extra day during the weekend instead to make up for the day that I missed.

I was thinking about getting a taxi to work, but he and the boss of the business division said that it wouldn't be a good idea since the location is quite remote, and the ride will cost me my salary of the day.

I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's my first internship and since it only lasts a couple of month, I don't have a lot of time to make a good impression to begin with. There is another intern in our business division. I can't help but feeling a bit competitive sometimes, in the sense that I don't want people to think that he has good work ethics (which he does) and that I don't.

The work that has been assigned to me will be done quickly and properly, my absence today actually won't affect anything in terms of productivity, but what about my image? The last thing that I want to be perceived is unprofessional.

Any similar experience?

pink_sugar

Don't stress too much. It happens. As long as it doesn't happen frequently and you're working hard and flexible with your boss's requests, you can still make a good impression. You handled the situation well. You apologized for this and offered to take a cab to try and still make it to work that day. That's very professional and it sounds reasonable for your boss to have you make up the time another day to save you the cost of a cab which could have easily cost $50-100 depending on the distance.

HokeyReligions

I wouldn't worry about it. But you might look for alternatives should that situation occur again.

It has happened to everyone. You handled the mistake very professionally. As long as you show up on the weekend to make up the day, the incident will probably be forgotten. I think the fact they are asking you to make up the day at all shows you are being kept in the loop, and not written off. Everyone is allowed to have a bad day once in a while. The worst thing you can do is dwell on it. The fact you thought about how your absence affected your group's workflow shows you are conscientious. You're fine dude.

• Author

Thanks everyone for your reply. I should have just taken the cab. I didn't care about the money (it will be a good lesson) I was planning to do so, but I called my supervisor because I will still be late. Then he told me not to take the cab, which I really regrette. The funny thing is he was driving to work with his wife because they missed the bus too. He doesn't sound very happy about it, nor was the boss of the division. =(

pink_sugar

Well, if he also missed the bus sounds like he was lucky to have his own car. If he'd rather have you make up the day than be late and pay for a cab, well what can you do? You would have still had to call him to say you would be late and he still probably would have told you not to take a cab.

Eddie Edirol

If you can prove to be an asset to the company with good work ethic and ingenuity from this point on, things like this wont matter in the long run.

• Like 1