Guy at work, biggest pr*ck I've ever met

So I've started doing a receptionist work placement through the jobcentre, been there for a week so far. It's not ideal but it's something to do and I'm getting a bit more experience. Last week one of the established members of staff was away on holiday so I'd not met him, only briefly nodded hello when I was being shown around at interview beforehand.

Now bearing in mind he is 29.. I am 25, and the only girl in the company other than the owner's wife who is rarely around. Also, I look very, very young for my age, and it's not uncommon for people to outright disbelieve I'm any older than 16. It used to not bother me so much but now that I am officially into my mid 20's I've started to develop a bit of a complex about people constantly misjudging me, not treating me as an adult or taking me seriously.

Well today he is back on the job, straight off I get a funny vibe from this guy.. he seems to sort of strut around and dish out random abuse to his workmates who are obviously well integrated and have that sort of 'banter' that guy buddies do. When I properly introduce myself he seems suddenly a bit stand-offish, and I get the impression he doesn't want me 'invading' his personal space. He works in one of the few open rooms on the site and it's where I'd been spending most of the time using the computers/phone etc.

As the morning goes on he asks me what job role I'm here to do and says 'Oh so you're like the little helper then. Well go and make me some coffee.' and 'If you have nothing else to do I need some new brakepads for my bike, so go do some research on the internet.' At first I brushed this off as his way of joking around or maybe trying to 'test' the new person so I played along but stayed snappy to keep his patronizing in check.

When it got quiet I would try to make some general small talk like 'how long have you been here, what do you do' etc. he would respond 'Yeah, you know.. a while..' 'just whatever really..' clear his throat and sort of sigh heavily like I was bothering him. So I got the message and focused on my own thing. Then after several minutes of silence he would suddenly ask me something oddly specific like 'So were you born in this town, what do your parents do?'

As I answered he would literally cut me off halfway through, then roll his eyes and sort of go 'Okay riiight..' and turn back to his computer. We would both go silent for ages then he would randomly start singing outloud, or shout random expletives at the screen, come and go from the room and stop to lean right over and check what I was doing and say 'So are you actually going to DO any work then or just sit there being useless?'

I'm getting really bored of his attitude by now and bluntly say I'm only on a work trial and I haven't been trained with anything properly yet, so I just have to wait until there's something for me to do. He scoffs, responds with, and I quote, 'Oh shut up, you ****ing child' then goes back to his work and ignores me. By now I am seriously pissed off, so I decide to just not bother with him and wait until I can go home and forget about it. Later he speaks to me again, and says 'So do you do anything decent in your spare time - other than yap and moan?' I'm too enraged to even engage him so just give an icy 'not really.'

'Well! That's the end of that conversation then' he says then turns back to his screen and begins humming cheerily to himself. I can feel my blood boiling and I want to stand up and punch this guy in his face. I had to get up and leave the room to make myself a coffee because I thought I was either going to blow up in his face or start crying, neither of which I enjoy doing.

I'm heading back to the jobcentre to make a complaint about this, but if I have to put up with this guy for the meantime and he treats me the same way I think I'm literally just going to have to walk out. :mad:

I'm heading back to the jobcentre to make a complaint about this, but if I have to put up with this guy for the meantime and he treats me the same way I think I'm literally just going to have to walk out. :mad:

DO THIS IMMEDIATELY. It is called harassment and being called "a f***ing child" by a fellow employee is beyond inappropriate.

You could sue big-time for stuff like this.

I can almost promise you that every man there avoids him as well, socially and personally at least. He is an inept oaf, with zero professional or social game.

He knows this, which is the reason he is motivated to be such an asshat to you.

With this knowledge , feel empowered to deal with him by looking at him as though he were a piece of shyte on your shoe when ever he speaks. When someone else is in the same room be very friendly to that person.

He knows his place, now you do too. Just make him aware of it.

• Author
DO THIS IMMEDIATELY. It is called harassment and being called "a f***ing child" by a fellow employee is beyond inappropriate.

You could sue big-time for stuff like this.

I'm glad I'm not just over reacting then! Honestly I'd just be happy to see him eat humble pie or at least acknowledge respect for me as a person/adult, that's what angers me so much :sick:

I can almost promise you that every man there avoids him as well, socially and personally at least. He is an inept oaf, with zero professional or social game.

He knows this, which is the reason he is motivated to be such an asshat to you.

With this knowledge , feel empowered to deal with him by looking at him as though he were a piece of shyte on your shoe when ever he speaks. When someone else is in the same room be very friendly to that person.

He knows his place, now you do too. Just make him aware of it.

It makes me feel better to think so 2sure.. I will certainly do this so long as I'm there and he continues this behaviour!

• Like 1

Would definitely complain. Holy cow. No you are not overreacting.

Sounds like you are a convenient punching bag for him.

"So do you do anything decent in your spare time - other than yap and moan?"

maybe he's asking you out

he fancies you, but had to hide it/show you he's boss (thus happened to me) be careful, be ladylike, no sex til you are on such terms that you ring each other at home over the weekend, avoid a sleazy affair

or be diplomatic and tell him that you have a serious relationship, but if single you will get back to him

• Author
Would definitely complain. Holy cow. No you are not overreacting.

Sounds like you are a convenient punching bag for him.

I think I agree with you there unfortunately :(

"So do you do anything decent in your spare time - other than yap and moan?"

maybe he's asking you out

he fancies you, but had to hide it/show you he's boss (thus happened to me) be careful, be ladylike, no sex til you are on such terms that you ring each other at home over the weekend, avoid a sleazy affair

or be diplomatic and tell him that you have a serious relationship, but if single you will get back to him

Wow, ok.. that's a different approach to the matter. First off I only just met the guy today so if he fancies me that much already then he must be very desperate! Secondly I'm asexual so there is no way in hell I would ever accept advances from any colleague, let alone a complete idiot like that.

Think I will just continue to ignore him lol! :p

Yes, this counts as harassment and bullying. Any insulting behaviour, name-calling, denigrating, abusive behaviour counts. Might be worth you making some notes, when you get the chance, of what he said and when. Keep them safe and then complain to the Job Centre with your evidence. Here is some government information on what constitutes bullying and harassment at work in the UK and what an employee can do about it:

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-bullying-and-harassment

Good luck, no-one deserves to be treated like that.

Immediately report this situation to the job center. Does this guy have asberger's or something? I would be inclined to believe very few people take this guy seriously. Remain as professional as possible. Let other people know what is going on. Please excuse my language, but the guy is a ****ing jerkoff.