JohnnyCakes

Summer is in full force and I am in need of a vacation. I emailed my boss a three weeks ago asking for some time in July.

I told her that I understood there were projects going on and I would understand if the timing was bad, I just would like a concrete answer. I still have not received one. I have a coworker who would like to go as well, so we asked her politely on Friday about her thoughts. Long story, short, she was vague and evasive. Not frustrated yet, I just would like some time this summer.

What is beginning to irritate me is that my boss has allowed another coworker multiple days off over the past 2 months. This coworker has not put in a full week since April! Granted their might be something personal going on that I am not aware of, but I wouldnt be so frustrated if this coworker pulled their weight when they were in, but they have not. She uses the phrase 'I put in my 40' when the rest of us stay later, and not only that, she has not put in her 40 and we are salary so there technically isn't a "40".

Additionally, my boss who has been wishy washy about my time off is planning taking this Friday off. Kinda the last minute isnt it? She also took a week off early in the month and since returning has left work early for the past two Fridays. Seems like she isnt practicing what she preaches.

90% of the time my boss is great, but lately I am starting to feel differently..

Is it fair that my boss can take time off randomly, but I can't even though as a team we're all working on the same projects.

PS: I am not the kind of the person to say. I NEED this time off, not my style at all, but maybe it should be...

Look for a new (desireable) position, interview, and win the position. Find an organization that values the commitment employees like you dedicate to them.