Possible job pickle. !

:eek:After 6 months of unemployment and making my job hunt my job, I find myself in a little pickle between one offer and a possible second offer.The offer came from a company that I am very passionate about. This offer was a result of three attempts to gain employment there...third times a charm I guess. I had several friends on the inside go to bat for me and through the process I made a great connection with one of the V.P.'s. The job I was offered is a few levels below my last position but several have told me that it is only a matter of time before I get promoted to a position closer to my skill set. I will have to make some serious personal adjustments until then. This company is an icon in it's industry with great perks and a tuition program ( I plan on returning to grad school) and a great culture. I returned my letter of intent and the background process in now in the works. I have a tenttive start of Tuesday.

Prior to getting the letter I was contacted by the second company for a third interview. Going in I knew that things with the first company were going well but I wanted to meet with company two to see if it might be a better option. This position is to manage a flagship retail location so, it's retail. It was a great interview. I was so relaxed and the interviewer and I seemed to hit it off. Both he and the recruiter were awesome. It was a great experience. My issue is that even though the pay is much greater I will be married to the job. They will expect a a commitment to them above all else,especially at the begining. Personaly, I am in a serious relationship with someone who I would love a future with. I had a similar job in the past and it killed a relationship. I was never around, working long hours, holidays, and missing out on things in general. Well, I get a call from them the other day saying that they were extremely impressed with me and that it was now down to me and one other candidate. They are now in the reference stage.It's all computerized btw...no calling on hr's part.

My question is Money and alot of time away or low pay now with a progression plan and time with those I love? What should I say to the recruiter at company 2 and the hiring manager for that matter? Like I said, they are awesome. I do not want to burn a bridge as this recruiter is tied to a couple companies in our industy and you never know when you need that connection.

• Like 1

To me, the answer seems clear. A job you love that you are passionate about, has growth opportunities, a tuition program and is more flexible. Sometimes all of that alone is worth a pay-cut. It sounds like you'd be drained from taking the other job that has no work/family balance. It is true, working too much can hurt relationships. I know my dad has turned down a few potential relationships because the women were working around the clock and there would be no time for a relationship. Think about what you want in the long run. You want to have a good relationship, a job you're passionate about and the ability to return to school. Good luck! :)

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks Pink! You echo the little voice in my head. I guess I'm trying to find the right words for my chat with the recruiter at job 2. What a sweet heart. Other recruiters could learn a thing or two from her. Even though I should not, I worry that I am putting them in a bad spot...stupid, I know.

• Like 1

Don't worry about that so much. In this tight economy, they shouldn't have an issue finding another applicant quickly. Just be honest and thank them for the offer, but you have accepted another opportunity that will better fit your needs at this time.

Have you considered that you can use the knowledge of having a job with employer #1 to leverage yourself with employer #2? Maybe make some assurances that would make the job more tolerable to you as far as time commitment is concerned.