Networking Thank You

Mr Scorpio

I would like to send a thank you to someone who gave me a few hours of their time last week. I've never done this. Do people usually buy cards? Send a hand-written note on unlined paper? Can I get away with typing and signing in writing? My hand-writing is terrible!

PhoenixRysing

This is a great tradition that has been lost today it seems. That said, if you are going to do it I would recommend a hand-written note on a small thank you card (just generic thank you - off white). Practice your handwriting! If not, an email is appropriate if it was a business networking event. If they really helped, a $5 Starbucks card - with a Thanks for your time - have a coffee on me!

It is like a breakup: feeling being dumped, a big hole in my heart. Job is a part of my life, now it is gone. I already saw it comming, I was just hanging on with a project that has come to an end. It is a mixed feeling: relieve that its over, but blaming myself for not being good enough. Everything happens for a reason...Does it sound not like a breakup?

This is the second time I lost my job. The first one was the job before this one. I didn't get through the probation for both. So, there was no marriage. People have a few breakups before they can get married anyway.

I am not in my 50s or 60s, I can find a job again...Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Cards are old school. If you go that route, just get a plain, blank, off-white card made by Crane. Department stores or card stores will sell them.

If I get a card, I glance at it and throw it in my trash because I have a lot of mail to go through. And if I don't get it within a day or two of meeting you, (a) I probably won't remember you and (b) I'll think, "Hmmm, that took a long time to get here. He must not be on top of things."

Emails are more common nowadays, but again if I don't get it by the next day I'll have the same reaction as to a card in the previous paragraph.

Cards go straight into the trash; with email, you have a (small) chance that I'll add you to my contacts list.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
It is like a breakup: feeling being dumped, a big hole in my heart. Job is a part of my life, now it is gone. I already saw it comming, I was just hanging on with a project that has come to an end. It is a mixed feeling: relieve that its over, but blaming myself for not being good enough. Everything happens for a reason...Does it sound not like a breakup?

This is the second time I lost my job. The first one was the job before this one. I didn't get through the probation for both. So, there was no marriage. People have a few breakups before they can get married anyway.

I am not in my 50s or 60s, I can find a job again...Wish me luck!

Yes, I believe you will find another job.

But I don't consider a job the same as a family breakup. Jobs come and go.

Try to beef up your skills, even with extra schooling if possible. Or consider offering yourself to lower entry position, and working your way up.

UpwardForward
This is a great tradition that has been lost today it seems. That said, if you are going to do it I would recommend a hand-written note on a small thank you card (just generic thank you - off white). Practice your handwriting! If not, an email is appropriate if it was a business networking event. If they really helped, a $5 Starbucks card - with a Thanks for your time - have a coffee on me!

Great idea. Or even a tin filled with nuts, or cookies, or dried fruit etc etc. And w your card glued to top.

Most memorable gift I ever received from a vendor was that of introducing me to the small jar of Grill Mates Steak Rub. ha

Food can be the way to thy heart :laugh: