Middle- to upper-level manager moving to different company

When someone is hired into a middle- to upper-level management position with a new company ("new" as in, a company for which the employee has not yet previously worked), what steps might the company take to familiarize the new hire with its overall direction, mission, etc.? I'm imagining a position whose role, in part, is to be involved with strategic planning, and marketing and bidding for MICE business for resorts. Once in the position, would the company debrief the new employee on past strategic planning, problems or changes in mission, and past marketing efforts and what proved successful or unsuccessful? How would the person be empowered to step in and become a key player in these functions for this company?

I'm asking as a way of determining whether I might be a good fit for a position I'm interested in. I'd appreciate specific examples, perhaps from your own experience (and not necessarily pertaining to MICE). Thanks.

From my past experiences, it's been primarily mission statement, strategic direction, introduction to key players and GO baby, you're on your own. Now make it happen where "it" isn't defined since you're expected to know what you're doing and to self-define your role by testing boundaries. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Author

That's what I thought. Which normally would be very exciting...but in this case I'd be changing industries even though I"d be performing a similar role, and I feel like I'd need a bit more filling-in before I could just go on my own. And it sounds like they don't want someone who would need any filling-in. So. Question answered, time saved (in not applying for this position) :cool:. Thanks.

If you're hopping industries, an upper management position would be a difficult transition since the expectation is for immediate value added. So yes, I'd say you're probably wise to abstain unless you want to work 24/7 for the next few months playing catch up.

• Like 2

I would ask in the interview what their onboarding process is, how do they "bring someone into the fold" and what does train entail. This will cover their past history of things, etc. For some companies it is trial by fire, others have a much more structured training program. Ask if there are meetings with peers as well as executives to get a good handle of what they are looking for so you can hit the ground running.

• Like 1
The Shepherd

Most probably 2-3 weeks of KT. After that you are expected to be on your own. Sometimes you co-manage with someone at your level for a short duration.