Should you stay or should you leave?

Hey there

I got into a new job not long ago (contract basis) but I feel that there is nothing that I can learn from in my daily work except routine buttons pushing and they are probably going to make me learn other dept stuff which I'm not interested (I like to specialize in my own field).

The only place that I can learn more in depth about my profession is by asking one of my colleague (a quant) or scoop around and do research myself. Because the team is pretty stable the job scope that I am doing is pretty much of no need to have another person to value add.

What I feel is that I'm not sure if I will do the same stuff over at my new job, which I should be mentally prepared, and to learn everything new again.

Should I stay or leave? I actually have a job offer.

Hey! I'm one of those quants!

From a purely logical standpoint, if you already know what you're getting now and you hate it, then why not take a chance on a new gig. The worst that can happen is that you hate it... a little more maybe?

In my world, job offers are hard to come by. If you have even a reasonable chance that the other job would be more beneficial to your professional knowledge and growth, hit it! Salary notwithstanding... you never mentioned.

• Author

Hi Krytie!

Oh thank god I found someone familiar in here. :)

Here's the thing: My current company is nice, people are nice, everything is peaceful etc. Salary wise is slightly below what I drawn last time but it's still bearable for the time being for me if I consider that I can learn more stuff to be a market risk professional.

But thing is I don't see what productivity I can achieve by pushing buttons and reporting to my higher-ups with excel-churned reports and my dream is to be a professional risk manager. I wonder two years from now will I still stay the same as I am today or?

The question is more about my personal growth. Though I'm not sure what the other job offer would add value to me.

Should I stay or leave?

OK, so approach it the other way. It sounds like you're happy enough in the job you have and still have some hope that there is a place for you to learn what you like there. Also, you have the luxury of having another offer... a very handy little tool.

Why not ask you're prospective employer to ensure that they will (or ask if they are willing to) provide you with what you need in their company so that you can learn to be the person you want to be? Let them tell you where they stand. If it seems like a decent gig to you, let your current employer know in a not-too-cocky-or-combative way that you have been offered a position doing X, Y, and Z and that you were hoping that you could get the same experience in your current workplace.

Just have the mindset of letting the cards fall where they may and the right choice will be obvious. If after all of that you have a difficult choice, that's probably a great thing!

• Author

Alrighty, so the prospective employer is another even smaller company which I'll work directly with my boss (just us two). The negative is that they are a small company so the products they deal with is lesser and I wouldn't have a chance to learn more exotic fancy sounding stuffs. But the good thing is that because they are a small company ill have chance to hands on - meaning dealing with regulators, communicate with front office and with a hint of possibility to grow with the organization.

Now my next question would be, if I don't learn exotic new products, will I become a good risk manager?