LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Is Maternity Leave a Form of Employee Discrimination...?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2013, 7:16 PM   #91
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clia View Post
Are you disputing what the statute says? I seriously don't understand what point you are trying to make. I would agree that what constitutes discrimination may be up for debate, and I would also agree that discrimination happens even though it isn't supposed to. Does that make you feel better?

This thread is only here as the result of others like yourself who simply refuse to accept the actual meaning of the word "discriminate" rather than pretending to know what discriminate means.

It would be so simple for you to take a few moments out of your life and refresh your understanding of what "discriminate" really means, before you try to suggest that discrimination is illegal in the workplace.
SincereOnlineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 8:07 PM   #92
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCHokie View Post
Ah, the good ol' interstate commerce argument...we need children so that they can one day conduct commercial transactions across state lines, therefore Congress is allowed to legislate on the future implements of interstate commerce...

I probably wouldn't go there if I was on their side...maybe just the general public policy route that mothers need time off work to raise babies...
More like, there are women and men in all fifty states, and in all fifty states, a rather large number of adults of both genders are impacted by this issue. Whether congress has to be involved in this issue is one thing; what matters is that they are involved in this issue, because enough people have decided that they should be. If it upsets you that the average person in this community think that maternity leave is in the best interests of working families, you're free to disagree. If it really bothers you, you could always try life in Saudi Arabia.
Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 9:16 PM   #93
tbf

Should there be a non-breeding tax since singles aren't investing in the future of the nation?
tbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 9:36 PM   #94
Established Member

Quote:
Preferential treatment such as workers comp, performance bonuses, hazard/combat pay, etc. are paid due to circumstances directly resulting or arising from the job. Maternity leave is preferential treatment paid for a woman making a personal choice, i.e., bearing a child.

Unless there's a job that puts babies inside women...?
Yeah, its called an embryologist. With help from an OB-GYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Nancy View Post
If you are a mother, THAT should be your job.
Why? Why should I ignore the years I spent at university training to do a job that I am very good at? If I took ten years off, I'd pretty much have to retrain- that would be expensive and pointless.

I can do BOTH. I can be a good mother AND do my job well. Its not an either/or choice.

I can be a positive role model to my daughters (I have two) by modeling a good work ethic to them and a respect for higher education. AND that there is more to life than just being a mother- kids leave home eventually.

If I was a full time SAHM, I would be miserable and broke, and I would be a poorer parent for it. This way, when I AM at home, because I am stimulated and earning outside the home, I am 100% invested in the kids when I am there. They get a better happier mother because of it. One who isn't feeling like she has no identity and is struggling to make ends meet every week on one income.

And the money that our government pays parents is a fraction of what I actually earn- its not some all expenses paid larkabout.
Ursa likes this.
sb129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 10:01 PM   #95

Quote:
Well of course people who receive any sort of preferential treatment will justify that treatment...no different from a corporate executive justifying all of his posh extra benefits because of all the extra work he has to do...

And what about those women who come out of childbirth without physical disability...? Should they waive their right to maternity leave...?
Big big difference. Let me know how you feel after giving birth. Maybe my boss should have come back to work the day after he had major surgery too. Or maybe I should tell the best employee I have that if she has another tumor removed anr isn't back at work right away I'll hire someone else. Of course that will cost me a lot in training and employee expense plus it sets me back in building the best talent pool. I could always triple my rates so I don't lose money. And of course stop my voluntary charitable contributions. Nope - I don't see discrimination in maternity leave.
HokeyReligions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 10:05 PM   #96
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb129 View Post
Yeah, its called an embryologist. With help from an OB-GYN

Why? Why should I ignore the years I spent at university training to do a job that I am very good at? If I took ten years off, I'd pretty much have to retrain- that would be expensive and pointless.

I can do BOTH. I can be a good mother AND do my job well. Its not an either/or choice.

I can be a positive role model to my daughters (I have two) by modeling a good work ethic to them and a respect for higher education. AND that there is more to life than just being a mother- kids leave home eventually.

If I was a full time SAHM, I would be miserable and broke, and I would be a poorer parent for it. This way, when I AM at home, because I am stimulated and earning outside the home, I am 100% invested in the kids when I am there. They get a better happier mother because of it. One who isn't feeling like she has no identity and is struggling to make ends meet every week on one income.

And the money that our government pays parents is a fraction of what I actually earn- its not some all expenses paid larkabout.
The government pays parents?
Lauriebell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 12:08 AM   #97
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriebell82 View Post
The government pays parents?
For 12 weeks after you give birth.

It's not much, but its something. It's called paid parental leave.

The mother can have it all or you can split it between both parents.
Old 16th May 2013, 2:41 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistScholar View Post
Exactly!

With my first child I tore all the way to my rectum. I bled for weeks after.

With my second I had a c section, I was on strict bed rest for five days and was told to lift nothing heavier than my child for a minimum of six weeks lest I split my stitches (they cut you hip to hip)!

Its very rare that women just push out a kid and are ready to work, most need to recoup. The uterine wall where the placenta detaches is quite literally an open bleeding wound for some time after labor, which is WHY breast feeding is important (it causes contractions which close the blood vessels).
OMG that happens!? I thought it was like not true... gross
ImperfectionisBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 4:12 AM   #99
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperfectionisBeauty View Post
OMG that happens!? I thought it was like not true... gross
Yes its true. Happened to me first time round too.

And this time after a "routine" C-section I lost nearly 2 litres of blood and needed a transfusion.

Childbirth is pretty tough on your body.
Old 16th May 2013, 4:33 AM   #100

Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow where the midnight sun and the hot springs glow. Not really. Oregon.
[QUOTE=USMCHokie;4866305]I was just reading a random article about Yahoo's CEO boosting the amount of maternity leave granted new mothers. Are the benefits afforded new mothers a form of discrimination against employees who don't bear children while employed? Is it a form of discrimination against male employees who can't bear children? Should these employees be entitled to the same paid leave and benefits?[QUOTE]

No. Fathers should be granted paternity leaves, though.

Our society and all the others I can think of still value procreation and to some extent, the proper care of children. Unless this changes, working women who bear children will be given maternity leave.

Quote:
And why would people cry discrimination if an employer chooses not to hire a woman of child-bearing age so that he wouldn't have to deal with paying for an employee that contributes nothing while she's on maternity leave? It just seems ironic that someone would cry discrimination because an employer did not want to give them preferential treatment (i.e., discriminate against those who don't bear chlidren).
Well, if your preferred scenario became reality, what do you propose that all women of childbearing age DO? Would welfare be provided for them until they were past menopause?

Or maybe put in some kind of an institution?
Mme. Chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote