Starting my own second business

Been thinking about this a lot lately. I've found selling on ebay brings in some good extra cash for me. I'd like to open an ebay store for extra income. I know a lot of people who buy from flea markets and mark up items 200%. I'm always looking for new ways to earn extra cash and have been using ebay and craigslist a lot. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Read the eBay and other auction forums. A lot has changed since I started selling on eBay back in 1998. I dabbled in it a bit again selling off some of my mom's estate a couple years ago and came away with a decidedly rancid taste in my mouth. The kicker was when I sold a vase to a person in New Zealand and eBay withheld not only the money from the sale but also the 80 bucks it cost me to air freight the piece for about three weeks, even after the tracking showed the piece had arrived and the person had left positive feedback. They got the middle finger and I haven't been back since. I use Craigslist now, not only for 'stuff', but also for my real estate ventures. Works great.

• Like 1

Look into e-commerce solutions with Amazon as an alternative.

I personally find the whole experience there to be more conducive to business and have spent tens of thousands of dollars there over the years, both with the company directly and the multitude of large and small vendors who partner for e-commerce.

As an example, a DVD I bought there from one of their vendors had a skip so a couple clicks had the UPS guy show up this afternoon, the package was spirited away for a refund and I'll have a new one Tuesday from a different vendor. The few times this has happened over the hundreds of products purchased there leaves a feeling of confidence. If I choose to go 'large' with any of my inventions, Amazon will definitely be on my list.

• 3 weeks later...

Thread starter, as this thread is older, hasn't had responses in awhile and is getting the heck spammed out of it by robots, I'm going to close it up. If you want to add or solicit anything further, alert moderation and we'll assist. Thanks.