Is this considered a conflict of interest?

shocked_confused

Hey everyone,

So tell me if you think this us a conflict of interest:

I'm an Event Assistant working for a nonprofit organization. I mostly help plan big conferences, workshops, and meetings. I really enjoy my job, but I'm also interested in planning social events/parties (the more fun side to event planning).

I recently came across a volunteer opportunity at a trendy lounge in my city. They host tons of corporate events/parties. I would be assisting the event coordinator couple days a week outside of my regular work hours. I'm really excited about it, and I think it will give me good experience and it's more in the direction I want to go in.

Would this be a conflict of interest to my regular day job? I probably wouldn't mention it to my boss anyway because I don't want her to think that I'm trying to leave. But I just want to know on case anyone at work finds out.

Thanks!

Very interesting slippery slope...

I was the event manager for a large-city opera and symphony but in my personal time, I coordinated private events and parties and did a few high-end catering gigs on my own.

I see two options:

1. Be up-front with your boss and explain that you just want to expand your skill-set for your career, but love your job and have no intention of leaving.
  2. Don't say anything and hope no one finds out, also increasing your skill-set and networking to enhance your career.

Not knowing your relationship with your boss, I don't feel I can help you make this call. I don't necessarily see it as a conflict of interest if you haven't signed any confidentiality or restriction-of-work policies for your job.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Well did you sign some sort of contract stating that you would only work exclusively with your present employer? If you didn't and this volunteer project is not for one of their clients or board of directors then I don't think it is a conflict of interest at all. You'd be doing it on your personal time and that is your business. I don't think you have to go out of your way to mention it to your boss, but don't lie if they find out. Just play it cool and be like yeah I found I have tons of free time and I love their organization so I agreed to volunteer for them.

I think the concern would be a non-compete agreement but even those are close to impossible for a company to enforce though it would result in termination.

My line of logic, if it is a different field, was not with a competitor, etc. that it would not be a conflict of interest.

But if you are concerned be proactive and tell your boss.

• Like 1
  • Author
shocked_confused

Thank you all for your advice! The more I think about it now, I don't think it's a conflict of interest because the two places aren't competitors. The place I work at is a research organization and the place I'm going to volunteer at is a lounge. And the types of events they host are completely different from one another. And it's true, I'll be doing it on my own personal time. I did sign a conflict of interest clause at the beginning of my employment but it didn't say that I can onlyyy work for them and no one else.

I think I just won't go out of my way to mention it at work, and if they somehow find out then I'll just be honest.

Thank you!

Wait a minute. You signed a conflict of interest clause that doesn't limit you to only working for your current company, then what does it stipulate? Is it just saying you can't steal their clients or methodology if you quit? You want to make sure that you fully understand what that document means so that you can adequately cover your bases.

• Like 1