What will you do when the tables are turned?

Say you are being abused at work by higher-ups or co-workers. They are rude to you - as in, commanding you to drop everything & do things for them, explain things to you in a patronizing or condescending way when you ask them for information, exclude you from lunch invites & other work socializing, yell/scream at you, dump things in your lap with no explanation, embarrass you or make you look bad in front of others during meetings, etc.

(I think most of us have encountered those "Poison Pills" at work!!)

Then, months or years down the road, at the same or another company, you find yourself facing the very same person that made you so miserable... only this time, you're on a higher power/clout level than they are. To where it would be dangerous for them to cross you.

What do you do? How do you treat them? And how do they treat you?

january2011

Have they changed?

I'm surprised that since you are working with them, you weren't part of the recruitment process and would have been able to voice your concerns before this person was hired.

As tempting as it might be to turn the tables on them and treat them badly, I suggest that you keep your conduct professional and polite. Presumably you are happy at your firm and would like to stay there.

You don't have to go out of your way to be nice to that person, but I'd advise you not to discriminate against them purely because they treated you badly in the past. If they step over the line, then discipline them as you would any other subordinate and according to the disciplinary procedures of your firm.

As a last resort, if the relationship is untenable, then consider moving them to a different department.

What do you do?
Follow my business behavioral code
How do you treat them?
The same as any other employee/subordinate
And how do they treat you?
If they wish to remain employed, in a manner which shows their commitment to the business and respect of management.